• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Stations that were served by three or more sectors of BR before privatisation

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
I nominate Exeter St David’s (served by Intercity, Network Southeast and Regional Railways) and Carlisle (served by Intercity, Regional Railways and Scotrail). Can anyone think of more stations that were served by three or more of the four BR sectors (Intercity, NSE, Regional Railways and Scotrail) around between the mid-80s and mid-90s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NoMorePacers

Established Member
I nominate Exeter St David’s (served by Intercity, Network Southeast and Regional Railways) and Carlisle (served by Intercity, Regional Railways and Scotrail). Can anyone think of more stations that were served by three or more of the four BR sectors (Intercity, NSE, Regional Railways and Scotrail) around between the mid-80s and mid-90s.
Birmingham New Street and Ipswich?

Dr Hoo

Established Member
ScotRail wasn’t a sector. It was just a marketing name for a profit centre within Regional Railways.

Plenty of stations had Parcels sector activities of course.

What about Southampton? NSE, InterCity Cross Country and Regional Railways Bristol to Portsmouth.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What about Southampton? NSE, InterCity Cross Country and Regional Railways Bristol to Portsmouth.
I was thinking the same for Weymouth and Portsmouth (and Brighton actually)? Pretty sure that they were all served by Intercity (as well as NSE and RR) in summer at least.

Saperstein

Was
I was thinking the same for Weymouth and Portsmouth (and Brighton actually)? Pretty sure that they were all served by Intercity (as well as NSE and RR) in summer at least.

Brighton had NSE, RR, Red Star. It did have x County but was that after privatisation? I also remember something called “Alphaline” not sure if that was a sector in its own right though.

And yes plenty of inter city lhcs in the old days.

MESSAGE ENDS
Saperstein.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Was

Brighton had NSE, RR, Red Star. It did have x County but was that after privatisation? I also remember something called “Alphaline” not sure if that was a sector in its own right though.

MESSAGE ENDS
Saperstein.
I remember doing a run to Brighton and back from Clapham Junction or somewhere during a Network Southeast day one year. It was definitely from up north (Glasgow or Manchester) I’ll have a look later. A 09:18 Manchester (or possibly Glasgow) to Brighton is ringing a bell.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I also remember something called “Alphaline” not sure if that was a sector in its own right though.

That was a marketing name for Class 158 operated services operated by Regional Railways South Wales and West. I think it mostly applied to Cardiff-Portsmouth services operated by Class 158s

ScotRail wasn’t a sector. It was just a marketing name for a profit centre within Regional Railways.

I did wonder about that but couldn't remember - thanks for confirming.

PTR 444

Established Member

Did NSE run to Bristol from Waterloo back in the day? If so, Westbury, Bath Spa and Temple Meads would also count.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Did NSE run to Bristol from Waterloo back in the day? If so, Westbury, Bath Spa and Temple Meads would also count.
Not from what I can remember although occasionally West of England trains were diverted via Westbury if there were engineering works.

Journeyman

Established Member
Oxford, before NSE took over the services towards Worcester, Stratford etc.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Was

MESSAGE ENDS
Saperstein.
Brighton had Intercity for many years before privatisation - most notably the 'Sussex Scot' and its various guises - inc from Manchester etc

see all that here:
http://www.1s76.com/

Inc IC swallow carraige window labels etc eg
https://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p853553453/h32A74FA3#h32a74fa3

and this great 1988 pic would suggest it was served by Scotrail too :lol:

https://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p483082284/hB4B89545#hb4b89545

Last edited:

Saperstein

Brighton had Intercity for many years before privatisation - most notably the 'Sussex Scot' and its various guises - inc from Manchester etc

see all that here:
http://www.1s76.com/

Inc IC swallow carraige window labels etc eg
https://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p853553453/h32A74FA3#h32a74fa3

and this great 1988 pic would suggest it was served by Scotrail too :lol:

https://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p483082284/hB4B89545#hb4b89545

Hi thanks for the links, I was actually aware of the 1S76 site, posted it in another thread a few days ago just haven’t taken it all in lol.

All good stuff.

MESSAGE ENDS
Saperstein.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi thanks for the links, I was actually aware of the 1S76 site, posted it in another thread a few days ago just haven’t taken it all in lol.

All good stuff.

MESSAGE ENDS
Saperstein.
Great stuff - I know that feeling!

xotGD

Established Member
Newcastle had IC, RR and Scotrail. And Parcels.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Likewise, what RR services called at Bedford?
The 0549 Bedford-Manchester Piccadilly via Dore South Curve (1992 timings). Easily overlooked. Worked down empty. Balancing evening working terminated at Leicester. Provided the only realistic early northbound service in the East Midlands ahead of the 0700 IC from St Pancras.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Not from what I can remember although occasionally West of England trains were diverted via Westbury if there were engineering works.

I'm sure I remember the Waterloo-Bristol route through Salisbury and Bath, as a slower/cheaper way from London to Bristol than from Paddington - wasn't that branded as Alphaline?

co-tr-paul

No, that was Regional Railways Cardiff to Portsmouth Harbour 158s.
NSE ran Turbos on the BTM to Waterloo service though.
Bristol Temple Meads definitely counts with Inter City, NSE, RR, Cross Country.

A0wen

On Moderation
The 0549 Bedford-Manchester Piccadilly via Dore South Curve (1992 timings). Easily overlooked. Worked down empty. Balancing evening working terminated at Leicester. Provided the only realistic early northbound service in the East Midlands ahead of the 0700 IC from St Pancras.

What was that operated with? Seems strange it wasn't run as an IC service unless the set went on to do other RR workings before heading back to Leicester.

MarlowDonkey

I'm sure I remember the Waterloo-Bristol route through Salisbury and Bath, as a slower/cheaper way from London to Bristol than from Paddington - wasn't that branded as Alphaline?

Wasn't Alphaline also used for services designed as Eurostar connections at Waterloo?

Status
Not open for further replies.