• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: stations where a reversal is required to access the rest of the network

Status
Not open for further replies.
What stations require a reversal to access the rest of the uk rail network? I can think of some examples on branch lines (such as the St Ives line (reverse between St Erth and Penzance), and Fort William to Mallaig (reverse at Fort William)), but so far the only examples I can find on a line connected at both ends are London Road (Brighton), Moulscoomb and Falmer (reverse at Brighton or between Lewes and Eastbourne). Are stations on the Looe line the only ones requiring two reversals (near Combe Junction Halt and between Liskeard and Penzance)? Also, between which two stations require the most reversals?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Southport. You used to be able to bypass the station but I think you need to enter the station now and reverse if you want to change lines.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I'm sure you meant Cromer not Sheringham, so I'll give you Colchester Town for free, even though I'm not sure I understand the question fully.

From Sheringham you need to reverse at Cromer to get anywhere else (apart from Roughton Road), which I think was the question?

dazzler

From Sheringham you need to reverse at Cromer to get anywhere else (apart from Roughton Road), which I think was the question?

It's West Runton that's between Sheringham and Cromer. Roughton Road is on the way to Norwich from Cromer.

Additions to the list include anywhere between Whitby and Battersby (Junction) and Gunnerslake to Bere Alston.

TheSel

Southport. You used to be able to bypass the station but I think you need to enter the station now and reverse if you want to change lines.

Indeed - and then only by using platform 3 (of 6, for those unfamiliar with the staton), as platform 3 is the only one with access to both the Liverpool and Wigan lines.

Established Member

Fair point, (apart from the West Runton issue) still don't understand the question then, but won't waste the rest of my life on it ;)

I think there is some confusion with the question. What I mean is stations from where a reversal is required to access the main body of the network. You could use Crewe as a test, for example. If a reversal is required to access Crewe, then it will also be required to access 95+% of stations. Sheringham is a good example: you can get to West Runton and Cromer, but for anywhere else, you need to reverse.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Do you mean if you arrive at such a station then you need to reverse to access the rest of the network? If so, I'll offer London Waterloo. :E

vlad

If I understand the question then anywhere on the Conwy Valley Line. Unless you want Llandudno, Bangor or Holyhead then you need to reverse at Llandudno Junction (or Blaenau Ffestiniog).

(How come my browser spell checker recognises "Blaenau" but not "Ffestiniog"?)

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
True in theory but that section is not in regular passenger use so for practical purposes a reversal is needed.

I'd argue that the fact that it is not in regular passenger use is irrelevant - the capability is there and that's what counts for the purposes of this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.