• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations with more platforms than they need for regular service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Wigan North Western now only has 5 platforms since platform 2 was closed to allow platform 3 to be lengthened.

The only platform that's arguably surplus to requirements is platform 1 (which has approach control for the 10mph turnout), but even this sees some use to allow trains to be looped.

Platform 3 is needed to allow the Leeds terminator to run into the station without conflicting with WCML traffic; platform 6 is needed for equivalent purposes by the Liverpool terminator.

Warrington Bank Quay doesn't strictly need 4 platforms and could mostly make do with just 2 on the Fast Lines. However having more gives additional flexibility when timetabling.
Platform 1 at Wigan NW is the only through platform with access to/from the (ex-L&YR) lines to Atherton & Bolton.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

busestrains

On Moderation
I would say that London St Pancras International is another one with more platforms than it really needs. Specifically the Eurostar platforms. Does the Eurostar really need six platforms? Has there ever been an occasion where all six platforms are used? Even before the Corona Virus the frequency of Eurostar was never high enough to need six platforms and it could easily manage with two platforms like many other terminus stations that get a similar frequency have. I reckon that two platforms is all that they need.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I would say that London St Pancras International is another one with more platforms than it really needs. Specifically the Eurostar platforms. Does the Eurostar really need six platforms? Has there ever been an occasion where all six platforms are used? Even before the Corona Virus the frequency of Eurostar was never high enough to need six platforms and it could easily manage with two platforms like many other terminus stations that get a similar frequency have. I reckon that two platforms is all that they need.
Eurostar need arriving and departing trains on separate islands for border security/theatre reasons. They quite often have 3 trains in the station at once.
EMR, TL and SE certainly couldn't manage with any less platforms!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
it’s the access security and “one direction of travel at a time“ rules, the exact same reason they had 5 platforms at Waterloo.

busestrains

On Moderation
Eurostar need arriving and departing trains on separate islands for border security/theatre reasons. They quite often have 3 trains in the station at once.
EMR, TL and SE certainly couldn't manage with any less platforms!
it’s the access security and “one direction of travel at a time“ rules, the exact same reason they had 5 platforms at Waterloo.
Why would arriving and departing passengers need to be kept separated? What security reasons are these? Surely if the passenger has just come off a train from Mainland Europe they would not care if they boarded another train and went back to Mainland Europe again? I thought they were only worried about people entering the country illegally and evading border control so surely they would not care if they went straight back? Also i thought you can still walk between all six platforms at the buffer end? So passengers are not actually being separated by using different platforms as they can still walk between them at the buffer end?

Status
Not open for further replies.