• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia Stations with platforms 'missing' in sequence

Status
Not open for further replies.

matacaster

On Moderation
eg Huddersfield

Platforms 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8 exist.

Platforms 3 and 7 (which existed at one time) now missing.

If they do the enhancements, the new platform is to be 9!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railsigns

Established Member
Aren't Oban's two platforms numbered 3 & 4?

Indeed they are.

Cardiff Central is missing a Platform 5.

Stirling has no Platform 1. There are platform number signs for Platforms 4 and 5 but both are unusable by passenger trains.

PeterY

Established Member
Watford Jct is missing platform 5 as well.

Railsigns

Established Member
Aberdeen has no Platform 1 or 2.

West Croydon has no Platform 2.

West Ealing has no Platform 1 or 2.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Lowestoft has no platform 1

Salisbury has no platform 1 or 5 (if that counts)

Bridlington has no platforms 1, 2 or 3

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
No 2 or 14 at Bristol Temple Meads.

I thought Temple Meads had a platform 2 but its at the southern end of the station?

I knew about the missing platform 14 as I spent 20 minutes walking round looking at the layout and was wondering where the hell platform 14 was.

---

Bridlington has a platform 4, 5 and 6. Platforms 1, 2 and 3 are now where the new builds are. Hull doesn't have a platform 1.

Established Member
If memory serves, there's no 5 or 6 at Edinburgh Waverley.
There isn't, they're presently no more than sidings at the east end of the station, but work has already started on their reinstatement up to the location of the old taxi rank.

luke_oliver

I thought Temple Meads had a platform 2 but its at the southern end of the station?

I knew about the missing platform 14 as I spent 20 minutes walking round looking at the layout and was wondering where the hell platform 14 was.

---

Bridlington has a platform 4, 5 and 6. Platforms 1, 2 and 3 are now where the new builds are. Hull doesn't have a platform 1.

Bristol Temple Meads does have a Platform 2. It is not used for passenger services though. It is used as a stabling location.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Twickenham does not have a platform 1; it's a long-dead bay with only disconnected remnants of track.

bastien

Ah, yes, the short platform with a gate at the end. I remember last time I got off a train at P4, the InterCity Class 37 & Network Rail train was parked in there. The loco was ticking over in a weird way - kind of revving/slow/revving/slow every few seconds.

takno

Established Member
Ah, yes, the short platform with a gate at the end. I remember last time I got off a train at P4, the InterCity Class 37 & Network Rail train was parked in there. The loco was ticking over in a weird way - kind of revving/slow/revving/slow every few seconds.

I believe it was the old MotorRail bay. It's officially carriage sidings rather than a platform according to the sectional appendix. Fairly sure it still had a full platform face last I checked though.

kdoganorak

Bristol Parkway has p2-4. 1 is supposed to be coming some time in the future. I believe they swapped the numbering when platform 4 opened so they didn't have to call it platform 0

Portsmouth Harbour is another one. It only has P1 / P3 / P4 / P5 at the station. P2 is still there but the track has been removed.

TheDavibob

What difficulty is involved in renumbering platforms? For some of the mentioned there's clearly an old platform or two filling in the gap, but where there's a clear shift there doesn't seem much reason to cling onto the old numbering system.

My first thought here is something like King's Cross with its platform 0 tacked onto one side - what is preventing a wholesale relabelling of all the platforms as 1-12?

glbotu

What difficulty is involved in renumbering platforms? For some of the mentioned there's clearly an old platform or two filling in the gap, but where there's a clear shift there doesn't seem much reason to cling onto the old numbering system.

My first thought here is something like King's Cross with its platform 0 tacked onto one side - what is preventing a wholesale relabelling of all the platforms as 1-12?

It's updating signalling equipment that's the big hidden cost. The theatre indicators would all need re-configuring for a start, but lots of stuff in the control room too.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member

I had the same thought about Cardiff Central.

There's a "0" and an "8" but (as has been said) no "5", which was a bay between "3" and "4" but is long gone. I don't know why they didn't renumber when "0" was opened, nor why they haven't now that "8" has opened.

In contrast, Cardiff Queen Street has seen a comprehensive renumbering following the recent opening of two new platforms.

najaB

Veteran Member
It's updating signalling equipment that's the big hidden cost. The theatre indicators would all need re-configuring for a start, but lots of stuff in the control room too.
Lots of documentation as well - e.g. the Sectional Appendix. Signage in the station.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
When and why did this happen?

Just after they discovered that the underlying pier structure couldn't take the weight. 1980s sometime - I cant really remember seeing all 5 platforms in use. Perhaps usage was infrequent before they actually got round to lifting the track.

Last edited:

Railsigns

Established Member
I had the same thought about Cardiff Central.

There's a "0" and an "8" but (as has been said) no "5", which was a bay between "3" and "4" but is long gone. I don't know why they didn't renumber when "0" was opened, nor why they haven't now that "8" has opened.

The difficulty with Cardiff Central are the tiled platform numbers in the station subway, and the station being listed.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
What difficulty is involved in renumbering platforms? For some of the mentioned there's clearly an old platform or two filling in the gap, but where there's a clear shift there doesn't seem much reason to cling onto the old numbering system. My first thought here is something like King's Cross with its platform 0 tacked onto one side - what is preventing a wholesale relabelling of all the platforms as 1-12?

There might be a problem if a station were to be expanded by more than one platform. Fortunately for Waterloo when the Euro platforms were built, they were on the side of the station with the higher platform number; had Waterloo been numbered the other way around, that is, starting with no 1 on the Windsor lines, the platforms would surely have had to be renumbered when the new ones came into operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.