• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations with platforms that are used by trains in both directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firesprite

Bournemouth Platforms 2,3,4

Most trains heading north through Spalding, crossover and use the southbound platform, unless a train due through the other way.

Ely all platforms, Plus the lines north to the Junction are bi-directional. Northbound Services leaving at the same time often race to the Junction

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Bournemouth Platforms 2,3,4

Most trains heading north through Spalding, crossover and use the southbound platform, unless a train due through the other way.

Ely all platforms, Plus the lines north to the Junction are bi-directional. Northbound Services leaving at the same time often race to the Junction

Most through trains at Ely (i.e. not those terminating or reversing) tend to use Platform 1 (Down direction) or 2/3 (Up Direction). Not much runs through in the 'wrong' direction in normal operation.

Use of the Up line to Ely North Jn in the Down direction tends to be for the Liverpool-Norwicjh after its reversal, to avoid conflict with (IIRC) the Birmingham-bound XC service.

Liam

Established Member
Both platforms at Glenrothes, although most trains 'terminate' here nowadays. Platform 1 can only be used by trains to and from Kirkcaldy, platform 2 can only be used by trains to and from Markinch.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Dundee (1 & 4)

I know it's possible and is done on occasion, but Is anything actually booked the 'wrong' way through Dundee?

Clansman

Established Member
Both platforms at Glenrothes, although most trains 'terminate' here nowadays. Platform 1 can only be used by trains to and from Kirkcaldy, platform 2 can only be used by trains to and from Markinch.
I know it's possible and is done on occasion, but Is anything actually booked the 'wrong' way through Dundee?

Also the late Perth Circle services in the morning and evening will run through at Glenrothes - as does the daily Plymouth to Dundee Voyager.

the Glasgow to Carnoustie all stopper is booked into Platform 1 (at least the last time I was on it) as well as the occassional Aberdeen service during delays.

the Inverness to London diverted Sleeper runs the wrong way in to Platform 4, and also calls there.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Not on a regular basis, I don't think. I have caught an Aberdeen-bound train from Platform 1 before when things were running a bit out of course.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

Having a gander at RTT for a weekday, it appears the only departure south from 4 is the 0709 to Edinburgh (that starts there), and the only northbound from 1 is the 1658 to Aberdeen.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Having a gander at RTT for a weekday, it appears the only departure south from 1 is the 0709 to Edinburgh (that starts there), and the only northbound from 4 is the 1658 to Aberdeen.
I thing you've got 1 and 4 reversed there.

Liam

Established Member
Having a gander at RTT for a weekday, it appears the only departure south from 4 is the 0709 to Edinburgh (that starts there), and the only northbound from 1 is the 1658 to Aberdeen.

Very interesting, thanks. I bet that 1658 departure causes confusion for some passengers!

Dumpton Park

Ramsgate. All 4 are reversible, as far as I know, and I think can be used for through and terminators from both directions. Plat 1 at Dover Priory often seems to be used as the through platform of choice in both directions.

DP

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Meadowhall Platform 4 is bi directionally signalled, and has booked moves each week.

Shipley Platform 2 is used when Ilkley to/from Leeds services are diverted via Baildon. Plus of course platform 5 is used by Bradford to Skipton services in both directions.

Has Chesterfield been mentioned?

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Every platform at Birmingham New Street except for platform 4c, which is a bay.

The number of stations where this happens must be in the hundreds though.

Veteran Member
Shipley Platform 2 is used when Ilkley to/from Leeds services are diverted via Baildon.

That's a reversal rather than a through working, does that matter - I've known Skipton-Leeds trains use it on occasion. P3 is used by London trains in both directions for length reasons.

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Bournemouth might be a possibility, when there's a XC train in on of the through lines

Bromley boy

Established Member
Orpington. All platforms apart from 2 are bi-di (1, 6, 7, 8 are bays). Not unusual for 4 and 5 to be used for terminators, and occasionally through Sevenoakes - London services (both directions). Pretty rare though. 4 is usually up, 5 is usually down.

Last edited:

imagination

There are *lots*.

Just on one route: Aberdeen (6), Montrose (1), Dundee (1 & 4), Edinburgh (1,2,8,9,11,19&20).

Every two platform station between Aberdeen and Inverness has one or other platform that counts as well.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Meadowhall Platform 4 is bi directionally signalled, and has booked moves each week.

Shipley Platform 2 is used when Ilkley to/from Leeds services are diverted via Baildon. Plus of course platform 5 is used by Bradford to Skipton services in both directions.

Has Chesterfield been mentioned?

That's a reversal rather than a through working, does that matter - I've known Skipton-Leeds trains use it on occasion. P3 is used by London trains in both directions for obvious reasons.

It's only obvious if you know- for those unaware it's due to being longer.

Both Wakefield stations thanks to the Huddersfield services.

Though those are reversals/terminations rather than simply "bang road" moves.

GW43125

Established Member
Newton Abbott-all platforms are BiDi, but during the night all up and down services go via 3 (up main platform) so they don't have to provide staff on 1/2

Deepgreen

Established Member
Close to home to for OP - Redhill, especially platform 2.
Wimbledon platforms 6 and 9

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Platform 6 is certainly not bi-directional - it is the up fast! Emergency reversal is possible but nothing in service uses it in the down direction.

Close to home to for OP - Redhill, especially platform 2.

Platform 6 is certainly not bi-directional - it is the up fast! Emergency reversal is possible but nothing in service uses it in the down direction.

Ah yes i forgot about Redhill. I often see P1 and P2 used in both directions. Can P3 be used for Northbound trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.