• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia> Trivia!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Birmingham New Street and Birmingham Snow Hill have tunnels at either end of the platforms too. I wonder how many other non-terminal stations around the country can only be accessed by trains via a tunnel?

Far from a unique feature, there's Liverpool Central; Moorfields; James Street and Birkenhead Hamilton Square to name but 4 within a couple of square miles!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member

Scotty

Boston and Sleaford both have 1 level crossing immediately adjacent, then another within sight of the platforms at the other end (so you know when trains are approaching from both stations in both directions).

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Boston and Sleaford both have 1 level crossing immediately adjacent, then another within sight of the platforms at the other end (so you know when trains are approaching from both stations in both directions).

Thanks again!

miami

Established Member
By my count there are 34 heavy rail stations within the city limits of Birmingham, and that is if we are being strict with the definition of the limits too (ie, no Birmingham International, Water Orton, The Hawthorns, Olton or any other station which is mere yards outside of the city).

Even if you exclude the 15 subway stations, Glasgow is bound to beat that - it has the largest suburban rail network outwith London.

Manchester has at least six within it's city boundary and maybe more but I'm not sure where the city boundary finishes.

Ignoring undergrounds and metros:

Birmingham has 34 (7.9sqkm/station)
Glasgow has 60 (2.9sqkm/station)

Greater Manchester has 91 including MUFC, it was 100 until the Oldham branch Metrolinkified (14sqkm/station). Manchester has 15, Stockport has 19, but Oldham only has 1.

West Midlands has 69 (13sqkm/station)

London has 366 (4.3sqkm/station)

I think it's clear here that Glasgow is by far the densest part of the UK, and Manchester is the nicest.

matchmaker

Established Member
Far from a unique feature, there's Liverpool Central; Moorfields; James Street and Birkenhead Hamilton Square to name but 4 within a couple of square miles!

Glasgow Queen Street and Charing Cross for another two. Glasgow Central Low Level and Argyle Street are in a tunnel!

Hornet

Birmingham New Street and Birmingham Snow Hill have tunnels at either end of the platforms too. I wonder how many other non-terminal stations around the country can only be accessed by trains via a tunnel?

Chatham, St Leonards Warrior Square, Tunbridge Wells Central, Dover Priory, Ore, Hastings, Hadley Wood.

Last edited:

Phil.

Established Member
They were/are known as pre-service units - for testing before service entry... First Eurostars through the tunnel in powered mode
Like I stated, this is extreme trivia. All of the 373 power cars have black surrounds to their headlights,. 3001/2 have white surrounds.

I told you it was extreme trivia although for a different answer.

BurtonM

Moorgate, Old Street and Essex Road, the bottom of the Northern City Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.