• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia : UK counties with no 100mph+ line speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

The title says it all - which UK counties have track where no line speed is equal to or more than 100mph.

I can only think of two possibilities:
West Yorkshire and Merseyside

But I stand to be corrected...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gaelan

The meaning of "county" gets complicated, especially in Scotland, but I believe there is no 100mph track in the Highland council area.

William3000

The title says it all - which UK counties have track where no line speed is equal to or more than 100mph.

Not sure if we are talking historic counties or ceremonial counties. I prefer to use historic counties as they tend not to change.

Sussex I think is 90mph max, ditto Dorset. The historic county of Cambridgeshire is max 90mph though the Huntingdonshire but has 125mph. Herefordshire and Shropshire must also be there and I think every county in Wales bar possibly Monmouthshire and Glamorgan.

Gaelan

Kingussie to Kincraig loop goes up to 100mph for 3.5 miles...
Ah, indeed - I entirely forgot to check the Highland Main Line. If we're using historic counties, which is probably the sensible choice, that does leave several counties with no 100mph line though.

Actually, a full list for Scotland, based on Wikipedia's list of pre-1975 counties:
  • Caithness, Sutherland: no, only the Far North Line
  • Ross and Cromarty: no, only the Far North and Kyle lines
  • Inverness-shire: yes, as hexagon789 says
  • Nairnshire, Moray, Banffshire: no, the Inverness-Aberdeen line peaks at 75mph
  • Aberdeenshire, Kincardineshire: no, Edinburgh-Aberdeen and Aberdeen-Inverness lines cap out at 75 in Aberdeenshire and 90 in Kincardineshire
  • Angus: yes, between Dundee and Arbroath
  • Perthshire: yes, between Perth and Gleneagles
  • Argyll, Bute: no, only the West Highland and North Clyde lines which both appear to be slower than 100 throughout
  • Ayrshire: no? quite a lot going on here but as far as I can tell none of it is 100mph
  • Renfrewshire: no? Inverclyde line and Glasgow suburban stuff, both of which seem to be sub-100
  • Dumbartonshire: yes, the 100mph Croy line passes through the Cumbernauld exclave
  • Stirlingshire: yes, the line from Larbert
  • Clackmannanshire: no, only the 70mph line to Alloa
  • Fife: yes, for a short stretch south of Cupar
  • East Lothian: yes, on a couple Edinburgh-Glasgow lines
  • Midlothian, West Lothian: yes, the ECML
  • Lanarkshire, Dumfriesshire: yes, the WCML
  • Selkirkshire, Roxburghshire: no, Borders Railway caps out at 90
  • Berwickshire: unclear, the ECML is slow out of Berwick but increases back up to 105 right near the West Lothian border
  • Wigtownshire: no, just the line to Stranraer which is <100
Kinross-shire, Peebleshire, Kirkcudbrightshire, and the Orkneys and Shetlands have no railways at all.

The exile

Established Member
Even if the speed limit permits it, I doubt much gets up to 100mph within the City and County of Bristol.

Tio Terry

No 100MPH + in Norfolk, Suffolk I was going to say Essex but I'm not sure about HS1 speed there. But there is 100MPH.

daodao

Established Member
As far as I am aware, Northern Ireland Railways maximum line speed does not exceed 100 mph. There are no longer any railways serving Counties Fermanagh and Tyrone.

Peterthegreat

Established Member

West Yorkshire does have 100 mph speeds. Doncaster to Wakefield Westgate is mostly 100 mph including through the stations at South Elmsall and Fitzwilliam.

William3000

Rutland is 75mph max (with an SP 90 differential).
The East Coast Mainline runs through a short section in the east with a 125mph limit. The line either side of Oakham has 90mph sections.

No 100MPH + in Norfolk, Suffolk I was going to say Essex but I'm not sure about HS1 speed there. But there is 100MPH.
Norfolk, Suffolk, and Essex all have 100mph on the Great Eastern Mainline.

West Yorkshire does have 100 mph speeds. Doncaster to Wakefield Westgate is mostly 100 mph including through the stations at South Elmsall and Fitzwilliam.
I thought Doncaster to Wakefield was 90mph?

snowball

Established Member
[*]East Lothian: yes, on a couple Edinburgh-Glasgow lines
[*]Midlothian, West Lothian: yes, the ECML
[*]Berwickshire: unclear, the ECML is slow out of Berwick but increases back up to 105 right near the West Lothian border

You appear to have East and West swapped in your Lothians.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

All counties of Northern Ireland is your starter for 10. Nothing above 90mph.

The Puddock

• Aberdeenshire, Kincardineshire: no, Edinburgh-Aberdeen and Aberdeen-Inverness lines cap out at 75 in Aberdeenshire and 90 in Kincardineshire
There are 100mph sections between Craigo and Laurencekirk and between Newtonhill and Cove.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Anglesey, Gwynedd, Conwy, Denbighshire & I think Flintshire is max 90 mph also. So basically all of North & mid wales

oglord

Not sure if we are talking historic counties or ceremonial counties. I prefer to use historic counties as they tend not to change.

Sussex I think is 90mph max, ditto Dorset. The historic county of Cambridgeshire is max 90mph though the Huntingdonshire but has 125mph. Herefordshire and Shropshire must also be there and I think every county in Wales bar possibly Monmouthshire and Glamorgan.
There is a bit of 100mph in Pyle, Glamorgan, but none in Monmouthshire, not even between Cardiff and Newport.

Established Member
The East Coast Mainline runs through a short section in the east with a 125mph limit. The line either side of Oakham has 90mph sections.

The 90mph either side of Oakham is only for sprinters (and whatever else is cleared for SP speeds).

Fair point re. the ECML, which I hadn't realised turns quite so sharply northwest at Peterborough!

Last edited:

jfowkes

The City of London is a "ceremonial county" (whatever that means) and I'm fairly sure would have no 100mph+ sections. Crossrail is 60mph, Thameslink core is 30mph.

Furness and Westmorland (or the other way round) has no 100 + in Furness obviously. I don't know if there are any straight sections of the line to Carlisle along the WCML that are likely to be 100+ I very much doubt it from watching paul87101 you tube clips several years ago

andythebrave

Furness and Westmorland (or the other way round) has no 100 + in Furness obviously. I don't know if there are any straight sections of the line to Carlisle along the WCML that are likely to be 100+ I very much doubt it from watching paul87101 you tube clips several years ago
There are numerous limits of 100 and over between Carnforth and Clifton (indeed 125 for quite some distance at the southern end).

Status
Not open for further replies.