• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trolley Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael.Y

Established Member
If on a long journey it's actually possible to ask the operator to order something on especially for you when it's restocked, then that's rather handy!

It's more as a reactive thing - person asks for something I've sold out of / not got their preferred flavour, and, after explaining the situation and offering to order it, I phone the next shorebase and voila, half an hour later, happy passenger. It's not hard, it's not a chore and everyone's happy - I get the sale and the passenger gets their sandwich / red wine etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MattRobinson

The whole 'vending machines take away people's jobs' thing isn't necessarily true. Remember, these machines have to be designed, built, maintained, restocked, improved, etc, etc; and those jobs have to be done (in the main) by people.

Butts

Veteran Member
I love the East Coast Trolley in 1st Class as it is the purveyor of Whisky and other such reviving Alcoholic/Soft Drinks all complimentary :lol:

Then the Food Trolley arrives dispensing sandwiches,crisps,cake,fruit and biscuits all again complimentary.

Two Trolleys no less.....

Not bad when you have paid £12.55 from Falkirk to Darlington.....:p

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I remember at a H&S brief the manager asked the the assembled staff to name an "on train emergency". Quick as a flash Old Corrigan (now retired) replied "No trolley!" :p

BestWestern

Established Member
The whole 'vending machines take away people's jobs' thing isn't necessarily true. Remember, these machines have to be designed, built, maintained, restocked, improved, etc, etc; and those jobs have to be done (in the main) by people.

There are quite a few machines I can think of which are in desperate need of maintenance and improvement! Pick any £1 you like, it will be spat out. Pick several, it'll spit them all at you. It amazes me that such little effort is made to replace/repair the insides of them (I presume the coin sorters get worn and hence reject genuine currency), considering the operators must lose a fortune. I hate the damned things! <(

Status
Not open for further replies.