• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Troon Station Fire (17/07/2021)

Veteran Member
Probably not. If they were non-stop then it probably would have taken longer to get them stopped in a place of safety and then isolate the OHLE.
Looking closely, both trains were booked to stop at Troon but didn't.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
Press release

The railway through Troon station is set to reopen on Friday (July 23).

Trains have been unable to pass through the Ayrshire station since a serious fire badly damaged station buildings on Saturday, July 17.

No train services will stop at Troon, where engineers are continuing their work to make the building safe.

Updates on the reintroduction of services to the station will be made as those recovery works progress.

Engineers have been working hard since Monday to fully assess the damage to the building, platform canopies, overhead power cables and other infrastructure.

Special props have been designed and installed on Platform 1 to support the beams over the tracks, which overhead line equipment is attached to, and new overhead power cables have also been installed.

Work has continued today to install similar supports on Platform 2 before track-level repairs commence over the next 24-hours ahead of the reopening of the line through the station.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Just looking at a live map of the area on OpenTrainTimes I see that the line is blocked all the way from Irvine (incl.) to Ayr (only one platform) and that the TD indications say "-SA3" or "-SA4". I don't know what SA4 means but I am surprised that trains through Irvine couldn't be allowed to terminate at Barassie which, it appears, the signalling would allow.

Dave

Just looking at a live map of the area on OpenTrainTimes I see that the line is blocked all the way from Irvine (incl.) to Ayr (only one platform) and that the TD indications say "-SA3" or "-SA4". I don't know what SA4 means but I am surprised that trains through Irvine couldn't be allowed to terminate at Barassie which, it appears, the signalling would allow.

Dave

They won't run trains to Barassie as there is no access for rail replacement bus services there. Kilwinning is the best placed station for rail replacement bus access in this particular line closure.

Network Rail are currently taking advantage of the line being closed to do additional maintenance tasks between Barassie and Irvine and they have contractors on tonight doing vegetation management with road rail tractor mounted flail mowers. The SA3 and SA4 likely refer to the machines being used.

Highlandspring

Established Member

Dave
SA3 and SA4 are the identities of the electrical sections that are isolated - and this is also the reason trains cannot turn at Irvine.

N Scorah

Information suggests the fire started on the outside of the building, on the outside of one of the booking office windows. Members of the public brought it to the attention of the staff at the kiosk/takeaway, who called the fire brigade. The station was unmanned at the time by Scotrail staff. Time will tell.
PLease do not post unverified information about sensitive subjects. I have passed your comments on.

marks87

Established Member
Troon station will re-open on Monday for southbound services only.

Anyone travelling to Troon from the south will be need to double-back at Irvine. Anyone travelling north from Troon will need to double-back at Prestwick.

Re-opening of the northbound platform is planned for 30th July.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I must say, it is admirable how quickly Network Rail and ScotRail have worked like this. I would've thought they would've need to keep the building intact for the fire service to investigate the cause, unless it's already been done.

InOban

Established Member
I think that they established that it wasn't arson, so the site could be released to NR.

och aye

Press release from Network Rail regarding assessing the fire damage.

Network Rail is assessing the full extent of structural damage following the serious fire at Troon station on Saturday, 17 July.

ScotRail is advising customers will not be able to travel by train from Glasgow Central to Ayr until further notice. Services from Glasgow Central to Ayr will start and terminate at Kilwinning and no alternative transport will be provided today or tomorrow (Monday, 19 July).

The blaze caused extensive damage to the station building on platform one as well as an overhead power cable. Because of this, the train operator and Network Rail have closed the line until the structural integrity of the building has been assessed.

A Network Rail spokesperson said: “Teams are working hard on site to understand the full extent of damage this fire has caused to both Troon station and the railway network. Once our structural surveys are complete we have colleagues at the ready to begin work on the recovery operation."

Nobody was injured in the fire and while the exact cause of the blaze is unknown, police have confirmed it was not started deliberately.

1627401875310.png

marks87

Established Member
Platform 1 re-opens tomorrow.

John Webb

Established Member
Regarding the cause of the fire, the latest issue of "The Railway Magazine" reports that it started in the ticket office. I suspect that previous comment about the outside of the ticket office was perhaps confused with the fire being seen only when it spread to the outside of the office. An internal source of ignition (electrical or the like) is far more likely, I would have thought, than anything external.

diamond chap

The people of Troon will get the first chance to see proposed plans for the redevelopment of the station building following a fire which destroyed it in July last year.

Network Rail is inviting the local community and any interested parties along to a community drop-in event at the Walker Hall in Troon between 4.00pm and 7.00pm on Wednesday August 24 to see and discuss the initial concept plans.

Network Rail has worked with their architects and a number of stakeholders to produce three concepts to showcase.

Each of the initial concepts takes into consideration the look and feel of the remaining historic platform building whilst also allowing for modern interpretations.

The community engagement event will allow locals to feedback on the draft plans and ask any questions they may have on the planned works.

Jo Noble, Network Rail sponsor for the redevelopment of the station said: “This is the first opportunity we have had to engage with the community in Troon and to bring forward initial proposals for the redevelopment of the platform station building destroyed by last year’s fire.

“We hope that people come along to see the initial proposals and to offer their views and ask any questions they may have about the work to reinstate the station building.

"We look forward to meeting everyone at the Community Drop-in on the 24th of August.”

och aye

New Troon plans revealed:

Network Rail has unveiled concepts for the redevelopment of Troon Station to the local community at an event in the town.

The concepts presented offer three options for the redevelopment of platform one’s station building, following the fire which destroyed it in July 2021.

Option one is a reinstatement of the old building on a like-for-like basis using modern materials. The second is a reinstatement of the old building but with some changes e.g. size of building, access/egress arrangements. The third is a modern interpretation of the old building. Within each of these options the internal layout will be modern, with fit-for-purpose space for customers and staff.

There was an article about a public exhibition that was held last week as well. With (perhaps unsurprisingly) Options 2 and 3 being the popular choices among those the Daily Record reporter spoke to.

Troon’s new railway station looks set to reflect the town’s iconic old one which was destroyed by a fire.

Three designs have been revealed to the public at the Walker Hall – with two proposals a nod back to the historic Victorian era building.

Station bosses Network Rail launched their bid to replace the town’s fire-ravaged station at a public drop-in on Wednesday night.

Residents lined up to view proposals and were delighted to see plans echoed the past.

Chiefs finally revealed their plans 13 months on from the devastating fire which also gutted two businesses that were part of the transport hub.

Plans also delved into how the new station could shape internally with Network Rail keen to make more use of the space.

gnolife

Established Member
New Troon plans revealed:

There was an article about a public exhibition that was held last week as well. With (perhaps unsurprisingly) Options 2 and 3 being the popular choices among those the Daily Record reporter spoke to.

Reading the article, option 3 seemed to be getting broadly panned (and rightly so, in my opinion)

najaB

Veteran Member
Reading the article, option 3 seemed to be getting broadly panned (and rightly so, in my opinion)
Is it because Options 1 & 2 have a red Mini and in Option 3 it's grey?

I'm not a huge fan of it, but accept that there's no good reason to be held hostage to history.

Purple Train

Established Member
Is it because Options 1 & 2 have a red Mini and in Option 3 it's grey?

I'm not a huge fan of it, but accept that there's no good reason to be held hostage to history.
If the station building on both sides had been destroyed, then I would have liked option 3 more - but the juxtaposition of the old station building on platform 2 and the more modernist design on platform one does grate with me.

diamond chap

Following engagement with, and feedback from, the local community, Network Rail has announced the option that will be taken forward to detailed design for the redevelopment of Troon station.

Following the fire which destroyed the station building at Troon in July 2021, Network Rail developed 3 concept design options for the reinstatement of the building.

These options were presented to the community in August for consideration initially before being posted online for comment and feedback. The purpose was to define a single option which would be progressed to detailed design.

It has emerged that ‘option 2’ – an interpretation of the previous structure with the removal of redundant elements (chimneys) and an enlarged and reconfigured internal space, has proven to be the community’s preference.

More than 150 people attended the community engagement event to view plans and images of the concept designs and asked questions direct to the project team. At this event there were positive conversations in relation to internal layouts and aesthetics and facilities and around the function of the station as part of the wider community.

As well as the engagement event and feedback via the web site, the project team also met with the town’s community council to gauge the opinion of the local people in relation to the proposals.

Jo Noble, Network Rail’s sponsor for the redevelopment of Troon station said; “We are delighted that local people took a great interest in the plans for the station building and that their preference for a particular option emerged.

“From the engagement activities held in Troon, public feeling indicates a strong preference to retain the historic character of their station while reflecting modern standards and offering facilities and amenities of benefit to the community.

“Option 2 best suited the criteria and consequently, we will reflect the views of the local people and evolve this concept into a fully developed design for the redevelopment of the station building.

“Thank you to everyone in the community who took the time to view the plans, ask questions and share their views with us during this process.”

With the preferred option now chosen, Network Rail will now take the concept into detailed design before sharing the output of this with the community again in advance of it being submitted for planning approval.

People can follow the latest news and developments on the rebuild of the fire-damaged Troon station building via the Scotland’s Railway website www.scotlandsrailway.com/projects - and searching Troon Station.

och aye

Press release from Network Rail with details of the final plans to be unveiled to the public for the Troon station rebuild.

Residents of Troon will have a first look at finalised plans for the redevelopment of the town’s station building following the fire which devastated it in July 2021.

Network Rail is inviting the local community to a drop-in event at the Walker Hall between 4.00pm and 7.00pm on Tuesday 31 January to see the design first-hand ahead of it being submitted for planning consideration.

As well as having the opportunity to see the completed design, local people will be able to meet members of the team who will deliver the work to reinstate the station.

The completed design was developed from the feedback gained on three initial design concepts presented to the community in August last year. From this initial event and comments received, it was evident that Option 2 was a clear favourite.

Jo Noble, Network Rail sponsor for the redevelopment of the station said, “We are extremely excited to be offering the residents of Troon a first look at the design for the redeveloped station building prior to submission for planning.

“The community has played an important part in the design of this building and we hope they are pleased with what we are presenting.

“We look forward to welcoming everyone back to the Walker Hall on Tuesday 31st January.”

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Press release from Network Rail with details of the final plans to be unveiled to the public for the Troon station rebuild.

Thread reopened to allow @snowball to provide an update.