Trowbridge to Nottingham

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by bantamjim, 5 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bantamjim

bantamjim Member

Hi all,

I'm looking to travel from Trowbridge to Nottingham, outbound on 25th November and returning on 27th.

The cheapest I can find is £45.55 off-peak return. I want to leave Trowbridge on the 07:24 train, but then break my journey at Filton Abbey Wood, setting off from there again about 15:00. Is this allowed on this ticket?

Returning, the engineering works between Bristol Parkway and Yate means the journey planner is suggesting some very strange routes. I want to leave Nottingham around lunchtime, so it reckons I leave on the 13:19, changing at Derby, Gloucester, and Swindon. However, as I'm guessing this is onto the very irregular Swindon to Westbury via Melksham service, I want to try to avoid this if possible, so I'm not having to backtrack through Bath if I miss the connection for some reason. Is there any other way I can go, without paying the extra to travel via London?

Thanks for your help.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. John @ home

John @ home Established Member Fares Advisor

Yes. The £45.55 Railcard Off-Peak Return Trowbridge - Nottingham route Birmingham has Validity code 8X, which places no restriction on breaking either or both legs of the journey.

If you enter Nottingham to Trowbridge avoiding Melksham at 13:00 on 27 November into the East Coast search engine, it suggests:

13:19 Nottingham - Derby 13:47 EMT. Train continues to Matlock
    13:53 Derby - Birmingham New Street 14:48 XC. Train continues to Plymouth
    15:03 Birmingham New Street - Reading 16:42 XC. Train continues to Southampton Central
    17:04 Reading - Bath Spa 18:15 FGW. Train continues to Swansea
    18:27 Bath Spa - Trowbridge 18:45 FGW. Train continues to Portsmouth Harbour

Last edited: 5 Nov 2011
  4. bantamjim

bantamjim Member

Ah thanks for that, I normally use the East Coast site but had no idea you could search to go via or avoid stations! Going via Reading, all the ticket options are greyed out, so I guess this means that route isn't valid? And I have to go back to Bath anyway doing that. Going via Temple Meads (i.e. the usual way) is an extra hour, so I think I'll take the risk of getting the Melksham train, it shouldn't be too much drama if I do miss it, just a bit frustrating that's all. Cheers :)

5. bignosemac

bignosemac Established Member

That itinerary goes against the routeing guide. Trowbridge to Nottingham (route: Birmingham) is permitted via Didcot but not via Reading. There is also no easement applicable to route: Birmingham fares to allow a double back between Didcot and Reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.