• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Truck Sims

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC 72100

Established Member
My new PC arrived today, and I headed straight for Euro Truck Simulator 2. I'd also treated myself to a used Logitech G27 wheel and it's proving to be a great investment - having done the first mission using a keyboard just to test the game and performance, it's a big improvement using a good wheel.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for when I do get around to getting my own truck? So much choice! :)

Pleased to see you're enjoying it so far. My first truck was a Volvo, have always found them good value considering power v price.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainfan344

Established Member
Brought my first truck last night, it's a DAF, got the engine above the base model So I had more power

deltic1989

Established Member
My new PC arrived today, and I headed straight for Euro Truck Simulator 2. I'd also treated myself to a used Logitech G27 wheel and it's proving to be a great investment - having done the first mission using a keyboard just to test the game and performance, it's a big improvement using a good wheel.

I've not bought my own truck yet, I'm trying to get around 50k in the bank before taking out a loan so it's less saving to get a second truck (or that's the plan!) so I'm enjoying testing out the various models. I must say the basic Iveco trucks are terrible - I've done Grimsby to Carlisle and Grimsby to Amsterdam in them and it was an interesting experience going up hill. I've also enjoyed a couple of runs in a Mercedes and it was a pleasure. Does anyone have any reccomendations for when I do get around to getting my own truck? So much choice! :)

Yes, the Ivecos are just awful, they lack in power so much. I have actually replaced my Ivecos with a Peterbilt 379 that I found on ets-2.com (a great site if you are ever after some mods). It still has the Iveco handleing files so it is still down on power but it looks so much nicer.
As for recommendations for your first truck I would have to recommend a Scania, the top end one might not be as powerful as a top end Volvo but they do look a lot less like a box on wheels and handle better than the Volvos too (well in my opinion anyway).
I am a little biased though for a couple of reasons.
1) My Father drove a Scania M114 and I had several rides in it in my younger days.
2) I spend 5 to 6 days per week behind the wheel of a Scania R420 Topline.

So it kind of makes sense for me to stick to what I know in ETS2. I know that there are some who think ' He drives a truck for a living why go home and do your job on a computer?' my answer....I'm sure there are a few train drivers that enjoy TS13 or pilots that enjoy FSX I'm just the same. And the community behind ETS2 is fantastic.
A few sites in case some of you wern't aware of the large community support:

www.truckpol.proboards.com

www.trucksmods.boards.net

www.crockettshouse.org.uk

also search 'Euro Truck Simulator 2' on facebook and see the amount of pages that pop up, some better than others. Some seem to be dominated by 'Swift Haulage' a VTC that is a bit 'ooooh look at me', but hey ho that's what happens sometimes.

Lrd

Established Member
I have a Valiant which is very powerful, even the first engine you get. It's great fun doing 55mph up and down the quarries.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Talking of Quarries, I took a delivery to Sheffield the other time in an IVECO truck, problem was, I missed the turning for the parking bay and ended up at the bottom of the quarry, took me ages to get out again.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Talking of Quarries, I took a delivery to Sheffield the other time in an IVECO truck, problem was, I missed the turning for the parking bay and ended up at the bottom of the quarry, took me ages to get out again.

I did the same on my last run before buying my own truck - fortunately I had a Volvo and not an Iveco, wouldn't have fancied trying to get that out. The run I did was for 12k from Strasbourg to Turino, not a bad run through the Alps with a decent truck :)

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, decided to go with a Volvo for the time being - but I'm considering getting a Scania at some point! Other than Iveco I've had fun in most things I drove as a driver for hire.

Am planning on checking out some mods in the next few days - but am working my way through my collection of PC games and installing them on my machine, each having to be tested of course :lol:

richw

Veteran Member

I got an Iveco stuck in a quarry, it wouldnt go up the hill at all!

Trainfan344

Established Member
I finally got it up, You have to get a run up right at the edge closes to the quarry wall to get it out, I was still early for my delivery.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Is it just me or do the trucks on ETS2 seem to break down a lot, I mean it can't be like that in real life!

deltic1989

Established Member
114M ;)

/pedant

Yes, that's what I meant :) Too used to the letter being before the number as on my R420 :)

Is it just me or do the trucks on ETS2 seem to break down a lot, I mean it can't be like that in real life!

There does seem to be a rather low reliability rate in ETS2. I have found that driving at 50mph rather than 55 on motorways and being quick on the brakes when the ai does something stoopid helps to extend the service intervals but not by much. I tend to visit the service centre every couple of runs to try to avoid breaking down on the road.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There's a few knocking about but I've yet to come across one myself.

Let someone else have a play on ETS 2 last night - on my second run with my new truck. He went into the back of another truck and did 10k damage - quite glad I'd saved up a bit before buying my truck.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Brought myself a brand new truck, A Scannia, also hired a driver to drive my old truck so I can bring in some extra money.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyone tell me what a retarder does on your truck in ETS2

Status
Not open for further replies.