• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TSB "meltdown" customers "can't use cards".

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Does that mean if a pax gets a penalty fare (could they get a criminal record??) through their card being declined and it's not their fault TSB will pay the fine? Seriously I hope common sense applies and staff simply take a record of the non-functioning card and the pax pays within a suitable time when they can.
It's unfortunate, I suppose, that many of us simply don't carry much cash around as we can use contactless or even our phones and we certainly don't go out assuming our cards won't function.
EDIT last night I only had pennies in actual cash around the house, so went to the pub using contactless payment on the bus to there, and hit a cash machine near the pub to get the money for the pint! Might not have been allowed on the bus if the card failed behind my back!
Your lucky the bus accepts card. Many don't as I recently found out. Still I had a nice bus driver so problem was resolved quickly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Well of course there is also the rather drastic option of paying the appropriate sum into the Court Funds Office and notifying ITAL and the TOC of this, as a defence to any civil claim. I believe they accept cash or cheque. Possibly also cards, depending on how you pay in.

Why would you pay an unpaid fare notice in the Court Funds Office?:s

infobleep

Veteran Member
I’m not familiar with how one can spend that sort of money in one go. I can only assume it was gold or land or a short advance single ticket priced by XC.

I'm sure Virgin had some 1p fares at one stage. Perhaps they brought 75 advances at that price! Of course finding 75 1p fares might have been a problem, so they probably didn't.

robbeech

Established Member
Quite frankly who wants to take 74 friends between Stockport and Manchester at 0423 on a Sunday morning.

Howardh

Established Member
Quite frankly who wants to take 74 friends between Stockport and Manchester at 0423 on a Sunday morning.
Sunday morning, maybe there would still be 1000's of night-goers gradually drifting away from Manchester who need buses and trains home! Bet there are better night-services of anything (trains/buses) between Manchester and Stockport than Bolton which is at least a round figure. Zero.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Why would you pay an unpaid fare notice in the Court Funds Office?:s
"Tender" might be a possible defence to a civil claim for certain types of debt. ITAL refuse to accept certain methods of payment and hence you might be able to get out of any 'debt' (incurred as a result of there not being ticketing facilities etc. - i.e. you're not at risk of prosecution) by paying into the Court Funds Office, who accept various types of payment, and then notifying ITAL of this. But let's not get into 'legal tender' debate again, it was only an off-handed post...

Clip

Established Member
"Tender" might be a possible defence to a civil claim for certain types of debt. ITAL refuse to accept certain methods of payment and hence you might be able to get out of any 'debt' (incurred as a result of there not being ticketing facilities etc. - i.e. you're not at risk of prosecution) by paying into the Court Funds Office, who accept various types of payment, and then notifying ITAL of this. But let's not get into 'legal tender' debate again, it was only an off-handed post...
And off handed post that you have made with conviction that really does have nothing to do with paying an unpaid fares notice

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.