• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube 'cannot cope with 1m Olympic fans'

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Well most of the Olympic "family" will be moved by limousines using the network of Zil lanes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Let's not be so bloody pessimistic and get behind the organisers of the Olympic games (and the actual games itself!).

You may find it incredulous but there are some of us who can't stand the organisers and the sycophantic media who back them and don't give a monkeys about the games - or is dissent on this issue not allowed ?

Apparently there are maps being printed which don't have the Central and Jubilee line on them as an aid to instructing passengers how to get around without using those lines.

Really? Are you sure this isnt just more Olympic Games myths which people report as if they are fact. Indeed, I note your use of the word "apparently" which can be applied to anything which is simply made up nonsense.

Incidentally, isnt the Metro the sister paper to the legendary Daily Mail? A newpaper that is fabled for it's delight in publishing any story about the Olympics being awful, expensive, bad for us, a terrorist threat etc etc.

For what its worth, I reckon the Mail will perform a 180 degree turn and come over all patriotic, possibly saying how we showed the world how great we are etc etc.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Really? Are you sure this isnt just more Olympic Games myths which people report as if they are fact. Indeed, I note your use of the word "apparently" which can be applied to anything which is simply made up nonsense.

e etc etc.

Staff and Volunteers who are helping out ARE being told to advise passengers to get around as if the Central and Jubilee do not exist - FACT.

When the maps make an appearance I am sure one of the recipients will upload a copy so we can see them.

burneside

Jesus Christ. This is not the disaster of the century and nor will it be one. The key organisation will be down to LOGOC ensuring that events don't all finish at the same time at the Olympic park.

Of course they'll be stress points during the evening at key stations (around 6pm when the evening sessions start); but people will be travelling before this time, so rush hours in the morning/evening will probably be normal for most of the days on most routes.

Disruptions on lines will be the key to the success or failure of the Olympics and also how they're dealt with. One example might be if the Central Line was to be disrupted around Stratford, they'd redirect people onto the main/metro national rail lines back to Liverpool St and so forth.

Let's not be so bloody pessimistic and get behind the organisers of the Olympic games (and the actual games itself!).

I can tell you are wearing rose tinted glasses. And no, I will never get behind the games, not while I have breath in my body.

SS4

Established Member
Of course they'll be stress points during the evening at key stations (around 6pm when the evening sessions start); but people will be travelling before this time, so rush hours in the morning/evening will probably be normal for most of the days on most routes.

6pm is still very much rush hour these days.

The concept of the Tube coping with the stress is sufficiently vague to, except in extreme circumstances or perfect running throughout, enable both those who says it can cope and those who say it cannot to claim victory.
Additionally we have to be careful with how we interpret the raw data. The Metropolitan line west of Baker Street will be virtually unaffected but should it be allowed to feed into the reliability data regarding the Olympics at Stratford. Similarly it'd be unfair to count only the Central and Jubilee lines when there are good connections.

IMO the fairest method of telling is to publish average waiting times, platform crowding and punctuality on all lines individually leaving it up to the reader to interpret the results.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I'm assuming the new vehicles referred to are the 200 First have bought, and which will be redistributed throughout their empire post-Olympics

A cynic would suggest you could have said "will be redistributed to London, Glasgow and Leeds post-Olympics" - do other subsidiaries expect to get their share of the Olympic order?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Well most of the Olympic "family" will be moved by limousines using the network of Zil lanes.

No they won't. They'll be mainly using a network of special bus routes. About 500 buses are being drafted in and will operate from three temporary depots in East London.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I can tell you are wearing rose tinted glasses. And no, I will never get behind the games, not while I have breath in my body.

I can't wait for it - a truly exciting event. :D:D:D

VTPreston_Tez

A cynic would suggest you could have said "will be redistributed to London, Glasgow and Leeds post-Olympics" - do other subsidiaries expect to get their share of the Olympic order?

Preston could do with some more after the games - this is the perfect excuse to get a better bus service so the Olympics doesn't just benefit London if you know what I mean.

mbonwick

Established Member

I believe all are to provicial spec, so London is out. I think some, but not many, are going to Leeds/Glasgow, but I'm really not sure.
You're probably right though.

They have had years to plan it....
Upgrading to a computerized signalling system (like Paris metro) would increase the capacity, and reduce signalling breakdowns.
Good long term investment. (A city like London deserves a far better underground) As a train pulls out from the station the next one arrives seconds later!

tbtc

Veteran Member
Upgrading to a computerized signalling system (like Paris metro) would increase the capacity, and reduce signalling breakdowns.
Good long term investment. (A city like London deserves a far better underground) As a train pulls out from the station the next one arrives seconds later!

We knew about the Olympics coming to London on 6 July 2007 (the day before the bombs).

Given the speed at which bureaucracy works I'm not sure quite how much could have been done in this time. As it is, we've seen the Stratford International developments in that time, which will be a big help.

SS4

Established Member
We knew about the Olympics coming to London on 6 July 2005 (the day before the bombs).

Given the speed at which bureaucracy works I'm not sure quite how much could have been done in this time. As it is, we've seen the Stratford International developments in that time, which will be a big help.

FTFY.

There were always going to be problems and even with the best will in the world there are just some thing one cannot plan for. As for the tube I stand by my previous statement insofar that, as with anything political, the terms are vague enough for both sides to claim victory

Wolfie

Established Member

They have been upgrading the signalling on multiple lines (Jubilee, Victoria) for years.....and have had major problems. However at rush-hour the Victoria line runs at pretty much 1 min intervals.

How, short of closing major parts of the network completely, do you imagine it could have been done quicker? How likely do you think it is that Londoners (many of who neither want nor care a toss about the games), who are paying ridiculous fares to fund these upgrades, would accept such closures?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The Torygraph on the "Zil lanes"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ol...take-kindly-to-Zil-lanes-at-the-Olympics.html

I have heard rumours (odd gossip overheard in pubs) that certain less reverent individuals are already preparing "caltrops" for the Zil lanes.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caltrop

Metrailway

Well they have installed moving block ATO on the Jubilee last year and ATO is to be installed on the Northern very soon. The Victoria was the first railway in the world to be fully fitted with ATO when it opened in 1969! The Central also had ATO installed in the early 2000s. Hopefully the problems encountered on the Jubly recently won't happen during the Olympics...

Staff and Volunteers who are helping out ARE being told to advise passengers to get around as if the Central and Jubilee do not exist - FACT.

Simple use of the words "fact" and "apparently" on a forum doesn't actually mean things are true. No-one has seen these reprinted tube maps, and you conveniently dont say how your "fact" about volunteers has been garnered.

Apparently I won the Euromillions last week. Fact.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Simple use of the words "fact" and "apparently" on a forum doesn't actually mean things are true. No-one has seen these reprinted tube maps, and you conveniently dont say how your "fact" about volunteers has been garnered.

Apparently I won the Euromillions last week. Fact.

My apologies - I made up both of the above just for fun.

Goldfish62

Established Member
We knew about the Olympics coming to London on 6 July 2007 (the day before the bombs).

2005 actually.

Indeed, anyone with even a basic knowledge of railways would know that from planning to full implementation of complex signalling schemes takes longer than seven years.

ert47

2005 actually.

Indeed, anyone with even a basic knowledge of railways would know that from planning to full implementation of complex signalling schemes takes longer than seven years.

But it wasnt actually confirmed that we'd have the Olympics until 2007. There wouldnt have been any reason as to do any of the upgrades to signalling for an event that may or may not happen.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
But it wasnt actually confirmed that we'd have the Olympics until 2007. There wouldnt have been any reason as to do any of the upgrades to signalling for an event that may or may not happen.

Sorry, I disagree. The London bombs literally happened the day after the announcement. In fact, it was only a few hours due to timezones, such that the after event party was rapidly wound up on hearing the news.

NY Yankee

I remember that. On the night of July 6th, it was announced that London was getting the 2012 Olympics. People all over London were celebrating. I was initially ****ed off since I wanted NYC to get it (I later realised that the better city won). When I woke up the morning of July 7th, the London terrorist attack was all over the news in the US. I vividly remember a picture of a Routemaster with a hole in it.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I remember that. On the night of July 6th, it was announced that London was getting the 2012 Olympics. People all over London were celebrating. I was initially ****ed off since I wanted NYC to get it (I later realised that the better city won). When I woke up the morning of July 7th, the London terrorist attack was all over the news in the US. I vividly remember a picture of a Routemaster with a hole in it.

...which demonstrates quite how massively unreliable memory is, as it was a modern double decker with most of the top deck missing.

ert47

Lol, just had a thought about it again it was 2005, my bad.

My memory isn't what it used to be

Deerfold

Veteran Member

A London bus, but not a Routemaster. There were very few Routemasters left in service by then, It was most likely the Dennis Trident 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Trident_2, http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...a=X&ei=bnvXT4ynDIr10gGF78iUAw&ved=0CBIQ9QEwAA) which was on route 30.

SS4

Established Member
Does anyone know what TfL's definition of coping is?

Until we do know it's largely moot whether it'll cope or not. It's like saying is this 500ml bottle bigger than that one - without defining that one

Status
Not open for further replies.