• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube 'cannot cope with 1m Olympic fans'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie

Established Member
A London bus, but not a Routemaster. There were very few Routemasters left in service by then, It was most likely the Dennis Trident 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Trident_2, http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...a=X&ei=bnvXT4ynDIr10gGF78iUAw&ved=0CBIQ9QEwAA) which was on route 30.

You are correct about the bus type, a Dennis Trident 2 (fleet number 17758, registration plate LX03 BUF, two years in service at the time) operated by Stagecoach London. See:

http://uk.ask.com/wiki/7_July_2005_London_bombings#Tavistock_Square_bus

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
As it would indeed appear.

I like the use of capitals too for extra effect. FACT.

You could of course talk with some of the staff and volunteers who have been to the seminars/briefings etc and they could tell you what they have been advised.

You can use capitals for whatever you want use them for darling.

You could of course talk with some of the staff and volunteers who have been to the seminars/briefings etc and they could tell you what they have been advised.

You can use capitals for whatever you want use them for darling.

Would these be the volunteers at the Olympic Park who are ushering out the crowds after events? Yes, I can picture it now...

"No, that's not an enormous tube interchange station you can see in front of you, and it certainly doesnt have the Central or Jubilee lines running through it. Look, here's a hastily printed map that shows it doesn't exist. What do you mean you arrived on the Jubilee Line - that's impossible".

Have I hit a raw nerve? Your use of the term darling suggests that any questioning of a somewhat preposterous post on a public forum has indeed done so. And I'm not entirely sure why someone so openly against the Olympics would be hanging around with volunteers and staff. Go figure.

Still, nothing like an unattributable opinion to liven up a debate - a bit like the Railforms version of the Daily Mail.

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
There's a huge stock of brand new extra "Games" buses parked in East London somewhere- which will be going to various operators post Games

I mentioned a while back of some purple Double deckers parked on the flat waste land just by Beckton Park station.. They have gone now - is that them?

burneside

As if it's not bad enough being bombarded with travel advice virtually telling us to stay away during the Olympics, I received an email from Southeastern yesterday concerning their Olympic timetable which seems to confirm regular commuters will be viewed as second class citizens and an inconvenience during the games (my bold):

These timetables have been created to provide a service for spectators, in line with our contract with the Department for Transport (DfT) and the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA), but also, wherever possible, to meet the needs of our current regular commuters.

Apparently there are maps being printed which don't have the Central and Jubilee line on them as an aid to instructing passengers how to get around without using those lines.

Still waiting to see these. Oh we cant, because they dont exist.

Just claptrap that has been proven to be scaremongering.

Dstock7080

Established Member
They should have upgraded the tube in the Olympic preparations.
7 Years to design and built what exactly?
Many critical stations had lifts installed, '92 Stock were refreshed internally/externally, '96 Stock had new (worse!) seats and C & D Stock were tidied up externally.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Err... they did, and the transport system coped almost perfectly because of the huge amounts of work on both 'soft' measures in encouraging customers to change how they travel, and 'hard' measures in the form of upgrades to the transport networks.

The OP posted the article almost two months before the Olympics started, and it is typical of the media and the manner in which they wanted London, and London's transport to fail, which it did not!

SS4

Established Member
There were no major failures reported during the Olympics. The key word here is reported, it's possible (but not likely) that any incidents were washed away in a tide of patriotism

455driver

Veteran Member
it's possible (but not likely) that any incidents were washed away in a tide of patriotism

Yeah of course it did with Facebook and twitter (plus others) being around, highly likely! :roll:

theblackwatch

Established Member
I was down in London on three days during the Olympics and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with how the crowds were handled. St Pancras International and Stratford were geared up to cope with all those people flocking onto the Javelin shuttles, no more thn a short queue/wait, and when there was, the staff were friendly and being jovial with passengers. People were asked to move down the platforms or stand between lines in a polite and friendly way - no shouting and bawling as is often the case. No problems on the tube either, and plenty of staff about to direct people, many of whom obviously would not know their way round the underground network. Even the buses were good - after visiting Eton Dorney, there was no queue for buses back to Slough (or other destinations) despite thousands leaving the site at once.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I find that possibility unlikely.

Both the Central and Jubilee lines have been suspended during the 2012 Games. However the failures have been fixed quickly and fortunately have not been at peak times for commuters or people going to or from the Games.

Generally it's worked very well - helped no doubt by about 4000 extra people giving travel advice [/Blowing own trumpet]

Tiny Tim

Assuming we agree that the Tube coped well with the Olympic crowds, has anyone seen anything in the media praising this achievement? Thought not.

TheVicLine

The Olympic period has been a massive milestone for LU projects for years, the £1bn Vic Line Upgrade was was completed on time for the Olympics as planned as well as the key cooling the tube sites, step free access platforms, and the introduction of WiFi to name a few.
I believe LU and TfL as a whole performed exceptionally, but as previously mentioned this has been largely ignored in the media, the London Evening Standard have just been waiting for the network to colapse rather than supporting and recognising the hard work that has been done.

D365

Veteran Member
I used the Victoria line between Finsbury Park and Highbury & Islington last weekend. Although 2009 Stock isn't anything special as tube stock (unlike the Evo Stock that was planned for it, I believe), I found ithe service to be decent.

I really do think that the media have blown up the likelihood of a transport disaster. I also used the Javelin service from Stratford Intl. to St. Pancras, which I found fast and pleasant, albeit not frequent enough for the Paralympics imo.

Waddon

Assuming we agree that the Tube coped well with the Olympic crowds, has anyone seen anything in the media praising this achievement? Thought not.

Yes, there have been several comment pieces in the nationals from writers saying how well the services have operated. As part of my job I have to review the content of all the national papers so I can confirm there have been articles of this sort since the games.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Boris Johnson was at a press event this morning (for the launch of the UK's first 4G phone network) and asked us all if London had done us proud on the transport side - of which all the press cheered and said yes.

It DID do us proud.

And it was nice to see this today;

2012-09-11 11.38.16.jpg

(Edit; sorry it's sideways. The EXIF data should have told the forum to show it upright!)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
As the Olympics are now over, and the public transport did cope, it's time to close this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.