• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two strange workings next week...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil6219

A few days ago I was checking the upcoming announced workings on the Preston waiting room site and noticed a bit of an odd working. Then today something else stands out. I'm curious if anyone has any idea what the workings are supposed to be.

First up there is this one,

Friday 21 December
5Z22 ECS Wembley - Wigan operated by Virgin and down for electric traction timed at 110mph.

Leaving Wembley at 11:03 and departing Euston at 11:53 it arrives at Wigan North Western at 14:43 but doesn't appear to stop. It continues on to Preston 14:59-15:13 before setting off back to Wigan North Western arriving at 15:34. With no info regarding onward movement.

Since it would be timed at 110mph my money would be on the Pretendelino but isn't this now no longer in use even as a charter/standby set?

More to the point what is the actual purpose of this working, I'm guessing that the 5Z22 refers to the ECS working from Preston to Wigan rather than the working from Euston to Preston. I presume it is a charter or relief train since there is normally a northbound service calling at WGN around 43 minutes past the hour.

The bigger mystery workings are found a few days earlier...

5Z38 (10:10 at Preston)
5Z33 (15:45 at Preston)

No further info is given with just a notice to say "Details removed at the request of the TOC".

That is the puzzle, It's a class 5 so I'd say it's an ECS and going off the times at Preston I'd say it's a quick trip with my money being on a WCRC movement from Carnforth to Ardwick and return, I'm almost positive that there is a rake of carriages down there which went south a few weeks ago. If that is the case then I'm even more puzzled as to why West Coast have asked for the timings and even the to & from info to be removed given there is a plethora of upcoming WCRC movements which are still listed in full and have been listed in the past.

Actually come to think of it I'm sure there was a Carnforth to Carnforth working listed, timed at 75mph and went to Preston and back north again, like that Crompton did when it was on test several months back. Though I'm sure that was on the Wednesday as I was looking at going to Preston for it.

Any info or ideas would be appreciated as I'd rather not spend all day Monday stood at Wigan waiting for something which wouldn't be going that far south and if the Pretendelino is in fact running and stopping at Wigan I'd love to get a chance for some class 90 haulage for old time sake...

Phil 8-)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thomas6187

Looks like it's been hired by Arsenal, who are playing Wigan early Saturday afternoon. The service leave from Watford Junction which isn't to far away from their training ground. There is return working just before 16:00 Saturday

Last edited:

Phil6219

Cheers mate, may still pop out for that even though it's most probably just another pendolino.

Those other workings on the Monday may be cancelled now, still odd how the details were removed in such a manner though.

Phil 8-)

sprinterguy

Established Member
Cheers mate, may still pop out for that even though it's most probably just another pendolino.
The additional workings on Friday the 21st for the Arsenal match will be the Pretendolino. It is still in use as a charter and relief set. I'm not sure why people keep thinking differently.

The Pretendolino will be working 1T21 15:05 Watford JUnction to Wigan and 5Z21 17:22 Wigan - Preston - Warrington - Euston - Wembley:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54189/2012/12/21/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54192/2012/12/21/advanced
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The Pretendolino will also be in use on Saturday 22nd for the same reason, working 5Z22 11:53 London Euston - Preston - Wigan North Western and 1T22 15:43 Wigan to Watford Junction.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54193/2012/12/22/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54190/2012/12/22/advanced

I would presume that the reason that these trains run to Preston and back after calling at Wigan is because it is more convenient to perform a reversal there than at Wigan.

Last edited:

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The other working was a test run for steam loco Braunton but is now cancelled

Phil6219

Cheers chaps, much appreciated.

Shame about that steam move being cancelled, but it's better to know in advance at least :D

Phil 8-)

Status
Not open for further replies.