• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two strikes and you're out....or are you....

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
dakta. If you have passed with the old system then why didn't you go on to become a Driver ? Did it expire for some reason ?

If you did pass with the old system then are there any TOC's that will still accept that as a pass and why not apply to them ? As you have been through it you can imagine that sitting through it again may cause undue stress.

The tests are designed in such a way that someone who passes once, should pass every time so you should go in with a large degree of confidence. No doubt there is some but I haven't heard people failing the second time with something they managed on the first attempt. Its usually the same part that lets them down.

@ml I thought the old mechanical was gone but there was a new style one. DTG reactions ? was that the coloured dots test with the earphones and pedal ? Did you take both old and new ?

No replacement for the mechanics unless you count the dfft test which is the driver fault finding test nothing like the mechanics as that required some knowledge of basic principles though some are easy to guess like gears others are harder.. And there were never ending variations on the questions eg what post is stronger or if you cut a tree such and such a way which way does it fall.. Some you had to guess

I studied books on the subject came in handy mind as I past a freightliner application test which did feature a similar test.. More of these tests are being done online now

The dtg was the old pedals.. They have pretty much broken it up into no less than four new tests which are the three new computer tests (reaction/co-ordination/perception) and the fictional phone book/tone written test

The interviews are atill very tough though and currently one of them is part of your two attempts

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
The dtg was the old pedals..

DSD pedal... But hey ho nothing like railways operations <D

Hows it going ? Have you been up the sharp end yet ? Keeping it on topic. As a person who has been through this. Do you see why the test are used. Can you understand why they test for concentration, mechanical aptitude, perception etc ?

387star

On Moderation
DSD pedal... But hey ho nothing like railways operations <D

Hows it going ? Have you been up the sharp end yet ? Keeping it on topic. As a person who has been through this. Do you see why the test are used. Can you understand why they test for concentration, mechanical aptitude, perception etc ?

Well I would say I past on my first attempt and found the tests enjoyable and very easy. I had only practised the dots on the downloadable tool but not religiously (recognising clusters of four dot patterns isn't rocket science) was just unlucky with a few final interviews which are tougher than the mmi partly as you know you are so close but so far- I enjoyed the interrogation as well on the MMI and had a giggle with the interviewer whilst taking it all very seriously

I can not say if the tests are meaningful as I have not started training and once I have I won't have time to make trivial comments on a forum. Once qualified hoping I Get that far I might then answer your question.

I was asked by fgw to fill out a survey on the tests as to how easy the new tests were and I was honest saying very easy.. So maybe they will change them but surely I found them easy as I have the innate ability to listen pay attention focus and memorise things?

I am under no illusion that I have the makings of a great driver simply because I have past the tests as the real test is yet to begin and I a, fully aware of that and excited to prove myself

Last edited:

Johncleesefan

As a trainee at the end of training (have my comps ride coming up ahhhhhh) we had a discussion this week as we were in school doing interim 3 week. Anyway we gave feedback on the tests and basically came to the conclusion that they are very good concentration tools.
The computer test with the grey square especially as is demonstrated highly alerted concentration for 30mins.
The fault of the tests (and I don't know how they would change this) is its one day, u can sleep well and eat your bananas before going in and smash it on the day. As a driver u need to bring that to the table every day for the rest of your working career.

That's where we learnt u need to know areas where u can "relax" ie lower your concentration to a degree (no good way to word that) but route knowledge will determine where this is , and running on greens ?????? because if u were giving it guns the whole way through the day ud be dead before ur pnb haha

387star

On Moderation
D they tell you how you scored in interview and tests before your pass out i read they do?

Johncleesefan

We were allowed to sneak a peak at our personnel files and scores and that were in there.

Johncleesefan

Haha cheers pal, I been down Portsmouth enough recently and non core route ??????
U gearing up raring to go?

E&W Lucas

Established Member
As a matter of interest, has anyone who failed the old process twice, been invited for a crack at the new tests?

In all honesty, they were revised as too many people were getting through, who shouldn't have been. Surely then, if you couldn't pass the old ones, you're even less likely to get through the new process?

If you fail any part of the training process twice, of which the psychometric is the first step, you're finished. Get over it, and move on with your life. They are there to weed out those unsuitable for train driving. It's not just about your chance of a dream job, it's about the safety of the public, and those around you.

greatkingrat

Established Member
When TOCs are shortlisting applications they won't know whether you have previously failed or not (unless you previously failed with the TOC you are applying for).

ComUtoR

Established Member
Do you ever think, that might be why people don't get a lot of sympathy off qualified professionals in the industry when it comes to the psychometric tests?

Not sure what specifically prompted that response so please bear with me. Those who pass generally think its "easy" and those who fail think its "hard" When you go through the process you have a unique perspective and when you come out the other side you do gain an understanding of why they are done.

Unsympathetic ? Not sure to be honest with you. We are sympathetic because we know the process but we are very glad and very realistic about the whole picture. We have seen it from start to finish and beyond. It is hard for those outside to see the harsh realities of playing with Thomas for a living.

I am as guilty as anyone of having that 'its behind us, onto the next challenge' feeling when i finally became aware i'd gotten through.

Because you gain perspective. This subforum is unique because people are posting from experience and less from opinion. It is hard and sets a standard and that is very justified. Is it fair ? To some degree no but every job has some form of entry requirement and this is no different from them. I want the monkey up front to be well trained and highly competent with their abilities.

Trust me when I say that you will see it differently when you go through the entire process. Breaking down each step and putting each behind you is a good quality to have. Take your time, chillax a little. Take each task to mind and put the rest behind you. Many will stress out the whole day thinking they failed a particular task. The ability to keep your focus, listen and relax is all part of what gets people through.

Do you think attitudes would be any different, if the psychometric tests were a mandatory 5 year thing, rather than just upon entry? Theoretically, and I somewhat agree, if you can do it once you can do it all the time. But I can see, being somewhat a realist, people would get caught on the hop. two chances only!

The testing NEVER stops. I had an assessment last week. It took 8hrs and I was assessed on the same stuff I was taught on my first day many, many years ago. The testing just goes on and on. Yes it becomes vocational and more experienced based but you will still be tested throughout your career. We are briefed on new material, new routes, traction, rules, out of course working etc it NEVER ends.

There is no second chance when out there driving trains. Remember that speed restriction due to an isolated safety system that has never broken in the 10+yrs you been driving ? You only have the one chance to get that right. (BTW that happened to me the other day)

Obviously the idea is to test if you can train effectively as a train driver, so it'd a bit moot.

let me be brutally honest. Any monkey can drive a train. It's not difficult (at least to me) It is all the other parts of the job that causes problems. Getting a passcom at 100mph will freak you out. Not just remembering the rules etc. you need to be able to deal with the situation. The MMI and DMI will assess those qualities. The psychometric testing will push your stress level. The rules course will give you sleepless nights and confuse the hell out of you. Train driving is much more than just sitting up front with your feet on the AWS with an Irish coffee to keep you warm.

You can look at it in two ways, two chances to pass. However I'll be honest, in my situation which might be a bit unique, but not that uncommon, technically I've two chances to fail :P I'm quite confident I can, but will I? :P

You have one chance. Don't rely on the second attempt and don't rest on any laurels. Do your best the first time. Take it easy, listen and relax. With all the competition out there and the crazy failure rates do you want to be on a pile on some HR guy/gals desk where other candidates had passed first time ?

If it takes you 4 attempts to pass you need to understand that the assessment is only a small part of the process. Ask everyone on here. Rules can be brutal and people do fail at that stage too. You will not get 4 attempts at rules.

Another thing, and maybe someone will know why, but why does your assessment stop when you fail a particular stage. You only have to retake failed assessments, so why not do the results at the end?

Why continue ? It's a waste of the day and everyone's time if you know they failed at the first stage. On my day. 1 failed before we started. 1 failed glop. 3/4 failed mechanical comprehension. Most failed dots. 1 failed the dtg and the MMI I have no idea how many failed because I was last through the door and everyone else had gone home by then.

If I had failed glop then had to sit through each stage then I would have been angry. What if I was told I had failed every stage ? Would I have another go ? What if I failed the first stage but passed everything else. Does that give me a certain advantage over others when I resit ? For discussion another time I think but if I failed dots. Would I have still passed the dtg ?

You raise a good point and whilst its discussion worthy I don't think anyone is in a position where they can give the correct answer. I done mine in a day. It was a long day and I saw it as part of the same test. The stress of multiple tests didn't bother me and I went in totally ignorant of what was about to happen. I had no preconceptions and no prior knowledge. I believe a fair amount of peoples preconceptions about the day affects their performance.

Last edited:

dakta

Hi mate, just skimread your post (I'm on my mobile phone now)

just to say, without spending forever punching out a long reply, whilst we probably don't see eye to eye on a few things thanks for a sensible, and justifed response

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
Not sure what specifically prompted that response so please bear with me. Those who pass generally think its "easy" and those who fail think its "hard" When you go through the process you have a unique perspective and when you come out the other side you do gain an understanding of why they are done.

Unsympathetic ? Not sure to be honest with you. We are sympathetic because we know the process but we are very glad and very realistic about the whole picture. We have seen it from start to finish and beyond. It is hard for those outside to see the harsh realities of playing with Thomas for a living.

Because you gain perspective. This subforum is unique because people are posting from experience and less from opinion. It is hard and sets a standard and that is very justified. Is it fair ? To some degree no but every job has some form of entry requirement and this is no different from them. I want the monkey up front to be well trained and highly competent with their abilities.

Trust me when I say that you will see it differently when you go through the entire process. Breaking down each step and putting each behind you is a good quality to have. Take your time, chillax a little. Take each task to mind and put the rest behind you. Many will stress out the whole day thinking they failed a particular task. The ability to keep your focus, listen and relax is all part of what gets people through.

The testing NEVER stops. I had an assessment last week. It took 8hrs and I was assessed on the same stuff I was taught on my first day many, many years ago. The testing just goes on and on. Yes it becomes vocational and more experienced based but you will still be tested throughout your career. We are briefed on new material, new routes, traction, rules, out of course working etc it NEVER ends.

There is no second chance when out there driving trains. Remember that speed restriction due to an isolated safety system that has never broken in the 10+yrs you been driving ? You only have the one chance to get that right. (BTW that happened to me the other day)

let me be brutally honest. Any monkey can drive a train. It's not difficult (at least to me) It is all the other parts of the job that causes problems. Getting a passcom at 100mph will freak you out. Not just remembering the rules etc. you need to be able to deal with the situation. The MMI and DMI will assess those qualities. The psychometric testing will push your stress level. The rules course will give you sleepless nights and confuse the hell out of you. Train driving is much more than just sitting up front with your feet on the AWS with an Irish coffee to keep you warm.

You have one chance. Don't rely on the second attempt and don't rest on any laurels. Do your best the first time. Take it easy, listen and relax. With all the competition out there and the crazy failure rates do you want to be on a pile on some HR guy/gals desk where other candidates had passed first time ?

If it takes you 4 attempts to pass you need to understand that the assessment is only a small part of the process. Ask everyone on here. Rules can be brutal and people do fail at that stage too. You will not get 4 attempts at rules.

Why continue ? It's a waste of the day and everyone's time if you know they failed at the first stage. On my day. 1 failed before we started. 1 failed glop. 3/4 failed mechanical comprehension. Most failed dots. 1 failed the dtg and the MMI I have no idea how many failed because I was last through the door and everyone else had gone home by then.

If I had failed glop then had to sit through each stage then I would have been angry. What if I was told I had failed every stage ? Would I have another go ? What if I failed the first stage but passed everything else. Does that give me a certain advantage over others when I resit ? For discussion another time I think but if I failed dots. Would I have still passed the dtg ?

You raise a good point and whilst its discussion worthy I don't think anyone is in a position where they can give the correct answer. I done mine in a day. It was a long day and I saw it as part of the same test. The stress of multiple tests didn't bother me and I went in totally ignorant of what was about to happen. I had no preconceptions and no prior knowledge. I believe a fair amount of peoples preconceptions about the day affects their performance.

I said similar during my successful line manager interview and that 'I appreciate the the role requires absolute commitment and dedication to succeed'

Wonderful post above very enlightening

I made a point too in my fgw interview which I past ( I am not gloating just stating that because it might add more relevancy) that I past everything first time and in one application I past also mentioned i felt because I past first time showed I had the right qualities etc and listed them

Last edited:

E&W Lucas

Established Member
When TOCs are shortlisting applications they won't know whether you have previously failed or not (unless you previously failed with the TOC you are applying for).

It's standard to ask if an applicant has undertaken the testing before at application stage.
Would also show up, if someone was put forward, as there is a national database.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Yes, but they don't check all 1000-odd applications against the database, they shortlist 100, then provide those names to the OPC to check they are eligible to go through the assessments.

ibrahim9140

I recently had an assessment with GTR unfortunately I failed on group bourdon and trp GTR standard.. but have passed on OPC standard.. does that mean I have lost my one chance???

Any1? Thank you.

donpoku

I recently had an assessment with GTR unfortunately I failed on group bourdon and trp GTR standard.. but have passed on OPC standard.. does that mean I have lost my one chance???

Any1? Thank you.
Hi technically no as you've pass the national standard so that's gig news. However 70%+ of TOC require enhanced score which means you'll probably have to retake them. But now you know what to expect I'm sure next time you'll ace it.

ibrahim9140

Hi technically no as you've pass the national standard so that's gig news. However 70%+ of TOC require enhanced score which means you'll probably have to retake them. But now you know what to expect I'm sure next time you'll ace it.

Cheers mate thx for info.. thats relief to knw i still have my two chances :)

dakta

if you meet the national standard, but fail the enhanced standard, this may not count as a fail where the national standard is concerned, but would you be prevented from taking the rest of the tests that day?

If you meet the national standard, but fail the enhanced standard, do you get two further attempts at the enhanced standard, given a fail has not been recorded?

donpoku

if you meet the national standard, but fail the enhanced standard, this may not count as a fail where the national standard is concerned, but would you be prevented from taking the rest of the tests that day?

If you meet the national standard, but fail the enhanced standard, do you get two further attempts at the enhanced standard, given a fail has not been recorded?
Usually the TOC eliminates whoever doesn't meet their enhance pass at each stage. So yes even if you pass the national you'll be sent home at that stage & not take the rest of the tests as you haven't met their enhanced mark at that stage.

dakta

Usually the TOC eliminates whoever doesn't meet their enhance pass at each stage. So yes even if you pass the national you'll be sent home at that stage & not take the rest of the tests as you haven't met their enhanced mark at that stage.

I suppose as they pay for the test it's their perogative really, any idea on the latter point?

just curious! because passing is't necessarily passing and failing isn't quite necessary failure, though you'll get sent home haha

It might be done in a more peicemeal fashion where you are considered to have two chances at each test, and providing you don't fail the national standard, it doesn't go down as a fail for that test and thus meeting the 'national standard' is enough to avoid issues with the two strike policy.

Just be interesting to clarify, though there's probably very few people actually in this position.

Last edited:

donpoku

I suppose as they pay for the test it's their perogative really, any idea on the latter point?

just curious! because passing is't necessarily passing and failing isn't quite necessary failure, though you'll get sent home haha
It's to do with the TOC wanting to get potentially the best drivers possible so they set their standards above RSSB national pass mark. Which from their perspective - investment wise & mass # of applicants - makes sense. But that doesn't mean I agree because sometimes great pass marks doesn't necessarily equates great drivers.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes you're right you can take the tests as many times as possible if you haven't failed the national standards as your two lives is still intact. But be careful some tests like the MMI is either a fail or a pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.