• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro recruiting new trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigy

Established Member
Well, since a moderator has kindly edited my previous reply to remove the section where I explicitly mention why you would be endangering the safety of everyone on the T&W Metro network by not declaring your defective eyesight, I would just like to mention that I have sent an email to Nexus which includes a screenshot of your post, whereby I also ask that every potential new employee is subject to a more thorough eye testing procedure.

Here's hoping that your real initials aren't MP and that you weren't born in 1999...

Best of luck!
To quote your rather apt username, are you joking? Who are you? :D

They will be subject to the same medical standards as anyone else, and if they pass the eye test that’s all that matters, rendering the prescription irrelevant really? After all, you’ve stated they won’t ask to see said prescription.

Am I missing a something here? Im going to hazard an educated guess that since you only have two posts, you’re and keep getting censored you’re just being disruptive?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AreYouJoking?

On Moderation
To quote your rather apt username, are you joking? Who are you? :D

They will be subject to the same medical standards as anyone else, and if they pass the eye test that’s all that matters, rendering the prescription irrelevant really? After all, you’ve stated they won’t ask to see said prescription.

Am I missing a something here? Im going to hazard an educated guess that since you only have two posts, you’re and keep getting censored you’re just being disruptive?

This username is not an accident.
I have a 'proper' account, which I made over 3 years ago and which currently has over 1,000 posts.
I made this new account to respond to asinine posts, while preserving the 'integrity' of my proper account.

But, to address your issue:
Yes, they will be subject to the same medical standards as anyone else. However, my original post (before it was edited by The Mods) highlighted the discrepancy between the industry standards and the test to establish such, i.e. the eye test at the medical is unsatisfactory to establish compliance with the industry standards.

The OP (MP99) has also admitted that they realise their eyesight falls below the industry standard.

So, are you happy to have a driver on the network who freely acknowledges that they have defective vision, but that the test to determine so hasn't picked up on it?

Daggers84

Am I missing something here? Surely if their eyes are not up to scratch it will flag up in the medical and they will fail the medical? If they pass they have done the same test as every other driver and meet the required standards. Your gripe would therefore be with the test not the OP as it isn’t the applicant to sets the requirements! I understand your original point about safety but if they pass then they are deemed safe enough like every other driver.

Stigy

Established Member
This username is not an accident.
I have a 'proper' account, which I made over 3 years ago and which currently has over 1,000 posts.
I made this new account to respond to asinine posts, while preserving the 'integrity' of my proper account.

But, to address your issue:
Yes, they will be subject to the same medical standards as anyone else. However, my original post (before it was edited by The Mods) highlighted the discrepancy between the industry standards and the test to establish such, i.e. the eye test at the medical is unsatisfactory to establish compliance with the industry standards.

The OP (MP99) has also admitted that they realise their eyesight falls below the industry standard.

So, are you happy to have a driver on the network who freely acknowledges that they have defective vision, but that the test to determine so hasn't picked up on it?
Medical standards are in place for a reason, and candidates may be tested both with and without glasses. I very much doubt any demand you make to Tyne and Wear Metro will actually make much difference to how they assess people at medicals.

I’d be happy to have a driver on any railway network who can pass a medical, yes. If they say on the one hand your prescription “must fall within these parameters”, yet on the other hand don’t look at your actual prescription, but instead base their findings on how you perform in the sight test, that’s really not the problem of the candidate to challenge. And it’s certainly not your place to challenge it.

Ironically one might say, given then circumstances, it would appear you’re in breach of Forum Rules by having multiple user accounts, unless you are an “exceptional case”.

jwc04

I had the medical about 5 weeks ago, you don't need to take prescription, just take any/all pairs of specs and you'll be tested for each eye on its own and both together, with and without specs.

Without specs I could only read the first three lines and that was enough for me to pass, with specs I could read the whole chart.

Lonewolf32

Thanks, the emails said you may be asked in the testing rooms, but wasn't definite. Around the general site goes without saying. Need to find a suitable way of preventing glasses fogging up. Ha

bornintheUAE

I’m pretty intrigued too having my assessment day tomorrow. Is it masks on all day as the second email suggested you ‘may’ be asked to wear one. Also intrigued about the MMI and how long it lasted for and whether you find out the result on the day?
Hi MP99, congratulations on passing the assessment day! A quick query as mine is coming up this week, roughly how long did your structured interview last?

Graeme13

Hi MP99, congratulations on passing the assessment day! A quick query as mine is coming up this week, roughly how long did your structured interview last?
Hi, my interview was around 1hr20 and I was asked a lot of questions within my examples

Comfy

I cant remember whats in the practice but there is group bordon(dots), trp1 and 2 which is answering questions about glop and the dials test, telephone directory and tones test, concentration test with the grey square that turns black, 2 hand co ordination test, and the photo test where you remember what was in the photo, situational judgement then the interview. Sorry can't remember the proper names for most of them.

Seanlister1

Hey just tagging along, driving the metro is something I'd love to do, currently a driver for go north east. My long time dream was a career in aviation but this fell through due to colour vision of which I am red/green colourblind just enough to be medically unable to fly. I know that from reading the RSSB I am unsuitable for mainline work as that clearly states any form of colourblindness is unacceptable. Would this be any different for the metro or am I running on false hope?

Comfy

Hey just tagging along, driving the metro is something I'd love to do, currently a driver for go north east. My long time dream was a career in aviation but this fell through due to colour vision of which I am red/green colourblind just enough to be medically unable to fly. I know that from reading the RSSB I am unsuitable for mainline work as that clearly states any form of colourblindness is unacceptable. Would this be any different for the metro or am I running on false hope?
Hi , the metros also share some of the main line so I would imagine the standards would be the same.

Seanlister1

Hi , the metros also share some of the main line so I would imagine the standards would be the same.
That's what I was expecting to be honest. Could still be worth chasing to get a definite answer however.

Last edited:

Comfy

I'm through as well. Finally paid off after about 4 years of applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.