• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Depends on who you talk to, but I believe that all of the Metrocars were to be refurbished until Nexus started haemorraghing money on just about all of the projects. 4001/02 are an easy target seeing as they are not the same as the rest of the fleet, and therefore would need different spec work done to them. I have no idea which the third will be, but seeing as 4044 is back in service, then there should only be one flood damaged car at the depot.

Yes, that was true. All of them where due to be refurbished but they don't have enough money to complete it and so 3 Metrocar's will be not be done. I was told that the flood damaged Metro that is still in the depot should be back out soon and as such it will just be a random Metrocar chosen not to be refurbed.

At the minute there is no set way of allocating the refurbished units on a daily basis, which is why they are seen on full diagrams and also the morning and evening peak services. As like anywhere else, it will go on a mileage basis, so putting them all on the St. James - South Shields line only doesn't sound right.

What I meant was that by the Summer they will have enough refurbished units so that they could run a full diagram, that won't happen though, like you say, and it will be kept as it is right now with them running 'random' diagrams - as in across all sections of the Metro system, including the Pelaw peak's.

The recent funding annoucement isn't anything new - Nexus has been provisionally given around £350 million, but this is delivered in sections. Nexus has to show the DfT at various stages that it is delivering what has been promised to get the next tranche of money. The DfT seems happy so it has given out more of the money, although I'm suprised that nothing has been said about the delays. IIRC the first new ticket machine was installed in the back end of 2011, and we are now in March 2013. According to the Metro Facebook group, the new ticket machines, barriers and Pop card will all come on line fully in September, so that is nearly two years just for a small part of the overall project.

The whole smart card thing has been a complete disaster so far, I received an Under 16 Pop Card for absolutely no reason - I had it for less than 3 months. Fair enough they had to start somewhere mind. I also thought it was all going to be integrated so that you would be able to use a Pop Card on the buses, a friend who does the 27 'Crusader' for Go North East say's they haven't been told anything by Nexus and that it looks like the Pop Card is going to be Metro only for a good few months at least. Problem is, is that the buses already have ITSO readers and so it would only be a small upgrade to the software inside to recognize the Pop Card.

Finally, I haven't been told about bikes, and neither have the Newcastle Cycling Campaign/other transport groups who have been pressing for bicycles to be allowed on the Metro. Unfortunately I still cannot see it happening due to safety.

Like I said it was a rumour, I too believe it won't happen, although it would be very welcome if they did allow the carriage of cycles on-board. Would mean I would be able to take my Bike to London instead of getting a Boris bike all the time (I don't want to have to cycle to Newcastle at 5am).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DunsBus

Established Member
Keep a look out for 4083 when it goes. This Metrocar had the rather dubious distinction of writing off TWPTE Atlantean 120 (EJR120W) in early 1983 at Brunton Lane level crossing - where Kingston Park station is now - after the Atlantean's driver chanced the warning lights at the crossing and drove on to it just as 4083 was approaching; the Metrocar was repaired but the Atlantean wasn't as its chassis was damaged in the accident.

The report published a few years later makes for very interesting reading:

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_BruntonLane1983.pdf

markydh

Pop cards will be accepted on buses eventually but that is the final part of the overall project. It is at least 18 months away from happening, probably longer

Established Member
Major Line Closure at the end of the month will apparently mean that single car working is going to be happening, possibly on the Sunderland line.

Kryten2340

Major Line Closure at the end of the month will apparently mean that single car working is going to be happening, possibly on the Sunderland line.
Is that the 4 day closure over Easter between Gateshead and Hebburn/Brockley Whinns that is listed on the website?

Paul_10

Why would they need to be single car workings though I wonder? Is it down to lack of space to "store" the cars overnight or something? I assume this work is mainly going to place on the stretch of track between Heworth and Gateshead Stadium so perhaps some units could be stored at Pelaw perhaps?

ModernRailways

Established Member
Why would they need to be single car workings though I wonder? Is it down to lack of space to "store" the cars overnight or something? I assume this work is mainly going to place on the stretch of track between Heworth and Gateshead Stadium so perhaps some units could be stored at Pelaw perhaps?

I believe Pelaw sidings can only hold 8 Metrocars (4 sets) and so to keep some sort of decent frequency along both the Sunderland and South Shields lines a single car working will be the best/only possible option. One thing Metro don't seem to advertise and should be is that all tickets between Newcastle and Sunderland are also valid on Northern rail services on that line. I remember there was a delay and so Metro could only go down the Sunderland line every 30 minutes, a guy asked a Metro CSA if he could use Northern Rail to Sunderland and was told 'No'.

I do wonder where the work is taking place though, since I would have thought that some trains would have went to Pelaw since they could turn around there. So maybe Pelaw Junction will be getting modernised along with other sections of that line.

Although, come to think of it, I'd imagine they will be modernising the stations too with the new modern black signage they seem to be using now.

I thought Metro didn't run on Easter Sunday too, so really it's only a 3 day closure and even then Good Friday is normally a reduced service and so is Easter Monday Bank Holiday, so all in all it's barely even a line closure.

I have noticed Pelaw does seem to be getting more and more CCTV mind - although that could just be me thinking I'm seeing more.

cdonnigan

Wouldnt Sunderland Station be able to take 4 possibly six sets with another set in the sidings and also two sets stored in park lane, stick a couple of security guards on who can keep a check on them and also cctv, its probably Pelaw junction that is being worked on possibly cause its been open now since 1994 it think it was so probably due a 10 years check or something and if it is pelaw junction the are working on how would they get sunderland sets and also sets from shields back into pelaw sidings,

ModernRailways

Established Member
Wouldnt Sunderland Station be able to take 4 possibly six sets with another set in the sidings and also two sets stored in park lane, stick a couple of security guards on who can keep a check on them and also cctv, its probably Pelaw junction that is being worked on possibly cause its been open now since 1994 it think it was so probably due a 10 years check or something and if it is pelaw junction the are working on how would they get sunderland sets and also sets from shields back into pelaw sidings,

Sunderland is still used by National Rail trains. There is also quite a large amount of freight trains that still pass through too during the hours Metro isn't running.

The point about Pelaw, is a good one and one that I thought would be an issue if it was the Pelaw junction they were working on. I do wonder where trains would be stored though for the South Shields branch as there aren't any sidings (that I can remember).

Also, if it was Pelaw surely they would be turning trains around at Heworth/Pelaw Sidings since the work would be further up the line.

Kryten2340

Depends on who you talk to, but I believe that all of the Metrocars were to be refurbished until Nexus started haemorraghing money on just about all of the projects. 4001/02 are an easy target seeing as they are not the same as the rest of the fleet, and therefore would need different spec work done to them. I have no idea which the third will be, but seeing as 4044 is back in service, then there should only be one flood damaged car at the depot.

Yes, that was true. All of them where due to be refurbished but they don't have enough money to complete it and so 3 Metrocar's will be not be done. I was told that the flood damaged Metro that is still in the depot should be back out soon and as such it will just be a random Metrocar chosen not to be refurbed.

At the minute there is no set way of allocating the refurbished units on a daily basis, which is why they are seen on full diagrams and also the morning and evening peak services. As like anywhere else, it will go on a mileage basis, so putting them all on the St. James - South Shields line only doesn't sound right.

What I meant was that by the Summer they will have enough refurbished units so that they could run a full diagram, that won't happen though, like you say, and it will be kept as it is right now with them running 'random' diagrams - as in across all sections of the Metro system, including the Pelaw peak's.

The recent funding annoucement isn't anything new - Nexus has been provisionally given around £350 million, but this is delivered in sections. Nexus has to show the DfT at various stages that it is delivering what has been promised to get the next tranche of money. The DfT seems happy so it has given out more of the money, although I'm suprised that nothing has been said about the delays. IIRC the first new ticket machine was installed in the back end of 2011, and we are now in March 2013. According to the Metro Facebook group, the new ticket machines, barriers and Pop card will all come on line fully in September, so that is nearly two years just for a small part of the overall project.

The whole smart card thing has been a complete disaster so far, I received an Under 16 Pop Card for absolutely no reason - I had it for less than 3 months. Fair enough they had to start somewhere mind. I also thought it was all going to be integrated so that you would be able to use a Pop Card on the buses, a friend who does the 27 'Crusader' for Go North East say's they haven't been told anything by Nexus and that it looks like the Pop Card is going to be Metro only for a good few months at least. Problem is, is that the buses already have ITSO readers and so it would only be a small upgrade to the software inside to recognize the Pop Card.

Finally, I haven't been told about bikes, and neither have the Newcastle Cycling Campaign/other transport groups who have been pressing for bicycles to be allowed on the Metro. Unfortunately I still cannot see it happening due to safety.

Like I said it was a rumour, I too believe it won't happen, although it would be very welcome if they did allow the carriage of cycles on-board. Would mean I would be able to take my Bike to London instead of getting a Boris bike all the time (I don't want to have to cycle to Newcastle at 5am).

Out of curiosity what's to stop someone boarding with a folded bike inside a bike bag? Would it be allowed?

cdonnigan

nexus have said in a press release it is the OHLE they are working on to replace the wires so it may be possible for trains to pass the works area to return to depot or possibly being shunted back using the Battery Locos. Possibly pelaw sidings could be getting used for plant storage overnight as well.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Out of curiosity what's to stop someone boarding with a folded bike inside a bike bag? Would it be allowed?

isnt folding bike allowed on Metro already ?

Established Member
I'll not post where the sets will be stored for obvious reasons, but they'll not be at Pelaw. Single car working will be on the Sunderland line, to keep a 15 minute frequency.

Kryten2340 said:

The current guidelines state that you the folding bike must be in a bag to protect other passengers - i.e. grease/oil from getting on people's trousers or things sticking out from the bike and injuring people. Probably enforced a lot less than the no non-folding bikes rule, but it would only take one inconsiderate person and one person to complain to see the full ban brought back in.

cdonnigan

I'll not post where the sets will be stored for obvious reasons, but they'll not be at Pelaw. Single car working will be on the Sunderland line, to keep a 15 minute frequency.

Wonder if it could possibly be on boldon sidings between the level crossings sure you could fit six singles units on the stretch at least ?

ModernRailways

Established Member

Wonder if it could possibly be on boldon sidings between the level crossings sure you could fit six singles units on the stretch at least ?

I still don't understand how they could do that as it used by National Rail trains as a passing loop albeit rarely mind, the only place I can think of is the small sidings at Park Lane/Sunderland and then have them in stations along the Sunderland line with Security watching over them.

The Shields line will also be odd, since they removed the sidings at South Shields and I can't remember any others of the top of my head.

cdonnigan

.I still don't understand how they could do that as it used by National Rail trains as a passing loop albeit rarely mind, the only place I can think of is the small sidings at Park Lane/Sunderland and then have them in stations along the Sunderland line with Security watching over them.The Shields line will also be odd, since they removed the sidings at South Shields and I can't remember any others of the top of my head.

In the sidings at sunderland only one siding is electrified unless the bring a battery loco down and use it to shunt into the non electrified siding but then that only gives capacity for four singles and possibly four singles in park lane station, giving a total of eight sets

Paul_10

I still don't understand how they could do
The Shields line will also be odd, since they removed the sidings at South Shields and I can't remember any others of the top of my head.

I never heard of that one? I'm sure the Shields sidings are still in use, I know they were used recently and they get used to divert diverted South Hylton trains whenever the Sunderland line is disrupted which is quite often.

Crimzz

.I still don't understand how they could do that as it used by National Rail trains as a passing loop albeit rarely mind, the only place I can think of is the small sidings at Park Lane/Sunderland and then have them in stations along the Sunderland line with Security watching over them.The Shields line will also be odd, since they removed the sidings at South Shields and I can't remember any others of the top of my head.[/QU

In the sidings at sunderland only one siding is electrified unless the bring a battery loco down and use it to shunt into the non electrified siding but then that only gives capacity for four singles and possibly four singles in park lane station, giving a total of eight sets

As far as I'm aware the Battery locos aren't allowed on Network Rail, Also they may need the battery locos for the engineering work.

Just a reminder that on the 30th there is a football match on Sunderland vs man utd.... This is going to be interesting....

Also been told that Byker and Chichester to get barriers?

ModernRailways

Established Member
I never heard of that one? I'm sure the Shields sidings are still in use, I know they were used recently and they get used to divert diverted South Hylton trains whenever the Sunderland line is disrupted which is quite often.

I was told that trains can't use them as it isn't maintained and hasn't been for 2 years. They are still connected though so they could go in still once they had been checked over by maintenance teams. Plus I only think they will need two trains (4 Metrocars) running along the South Shields branch. Even now with a 12 minute frequency I believe there are only 4 trains down on that branch from Pelaw.
Lately I've seen with any delay's to the South Hylton line trains terminate at Pelaw and turn around there.

From what I've been led to believe the BL's aren't allowed down on to Network Rail's track due to an issue with them, which also rules out the non-electrified siding at Sunderland, although saying that a train could connect with the one in the siding and take it up to Sunderland/Park Lane with it's pantograph down then divide them and put the panto up on the unit that was in the un-electrified siding but you could argue this is just over complicating things.

I think a better question would be to ask just how many Metrocars are required to keep a 15 minute frequency along with one spare in case something goes wrong?

tjohnson86

It'll be interesting for me to see single car sets out for the first time in years, however due to work commitments this suspension comes at a bad time for me personally.

The fact that the sunderland-man utd game is an early kick off will just make it even harder for fans relying on the metro to get to the game. I'd think some fans will just be staying in and watching it on the telly!

Also, 4033 has been out a couple of times this week, paired with 4053.

Nexus_Comms

Nexus Spokesperson writes:

"We are happy to say it is not single car running in Sunderland following some work Metro has done with Network Rail. Frequency will be slightly lower at four trains an hour, Brockley Whins to South Hylton."

Established Member
Not sure what happened yesterday, but some people on the Metro Facebook group were complaining that replacement buses didn't turn up at all for the posession between South Gosforth and Kingston Park.

Crimzz

Not sure what happened yesterday, but some people on the Metro Facebook group were complaining that replacement buses didn't turn up at all for the posession between South Gosforth and Kingston Park.

Nope, No buses turned up so taxis were laid on for a bit then I think 2 buses turned up.

ModernRailways

Established Member
That livery is hideous!
The red doors look nice, in fact I think red suits Metro, but that livery is terrible and I can see that unit going for refurbishment soon. Free 'moving' road advertising for them too.
There is also a horrid black strip below the doors too.
Another image is linked below. Click here if it hasn't worked properly - not my photo.

480510_264145917055022_1201896494_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.