• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UEFA EURO 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 11 city tournament finally kicks off on Friday evening, with Wembley playing host to the Semis and Final week ending July 11th.

And Southgate demonstrates he is a rather defensive coach, by going with Ben White to replace the injured Trent Alexander-Arnold; despite England only going with 5 Midfielders!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57381758

The England manager took his time to decide which of his standby players would come in for Liverpool full-back Alexander-Arnold, with Everton defender Ben Godfrey and Southampton captain James Ward-Prowse other options, both of whom started the Romania game.

Jesse Lingard and Ollie Watkins were also on the standby list.

There are still fitness concerns over Manchester United skipper Harry Maguire and Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
To be fair, Ben White has spent half his career playing in midfield

SteveM70

Established Member
And it also makes you wonder about how likely Maguire is to be fit.

Darandio

Established Member
Out in the quarters this year I reckon. Anything more than that is a bonus for England!

I'd agree with that. I see so much talk about England being favourites based on our run in the 2018 World Cup, i'm assuming they didn't watch the same England as I did which was a very fortunate team reliant on set pieces. That said we didn't have anyone as creative as Grealish, he has to start as well as Foden and we have to play on the front foot. My worry is Southgate will be as conservative as usual.

Speaking of favourites, just looking at some odds there and England are 9/2 with Germany at 15/2. o_O They may well have had a tricky patch over the last 16 months or so during the pandemic but never write them off in a tournament. That's where my money is going right now.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I'd agree with that. I see so much talk about England being favourites based on our run in the 2018 World Cup, i'm assuming they didn't watch the same England as I did which was a very fortunate team reliant on set pieces. That said we didn't have anyone as creative as Grealish, he has to start as well as Foden and we have to play on the front foot. My worry is Southgate will be as conservative as usual.

Speaking of favourites, just looking at some odds there and England are 9/2 with Germany at 15/2. o_O They may well have had a tricky patch over the last 16 months or so during the pandemic but never write them off in a tournament. That's where my money is going right now.
Never ever write off the Germans!

SteveM70

Established Member
UK bookies always offer silly odds on England at tournaments and people line up to throw money away!

That’s the ultimate chicken and egg situation. Odds far skinnier than form or pedigree could ever justify, and then the weight of patriotic money often forces them even shorter.

Italy and Germany for me

scotrail158713

Established Member
Nobody fancy Scotland then? Not even after a 1-0 win against 10-man Luxembourg last night? :D

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Does anyone know how bookies in France, Germany, Italy etc are pricing England? I.e. if England are 4th favourites elsewhere, without the patriotic element, I’d be more inclined to believe those odds.

Darandio

Established Member
Does anyone know how bookies in France, Germany, Italy etc are pricing England? I.e. if England are 4th favourites elsewhere, without the patriotic element, I’d be more inclined to believe those odds.

This is pretty representative of the ones i've looked at in Germany. Image shows German bookmaker quoting France as favourites followed by England, Belgium, Germany and Spain.

Odds.jpg

This was the general outlook in France. Image shows French bookmaker quoting Italy as favourite followed by Germany, England, Belgium and Spain.

Odds 2.jpg

tommy2215

I hate to be pessimistic like this but I don't understand how we are second favourites to win. The World Cup 2018 performance certainly doesn't support the idea; we won 4 games yes, but only scraped wins against Colombia and even Tunisia and lost twice to Belgium and once to Croatia. Anytime we came up against half decent opposition we lost. Very likely England's talent is yet again being overhyped. Though I hope I'm wrong.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Anyone else not feeling the usual buzz? Not sure if its because its been delayed a year, or if because of COVID restrictions it is a bit harder to watch with some mates in a pub, or maybe even because Wales probably have zero chance of matching how well we did in 2016. But usually even being Welsh (and so usually not having too much skin in the game so to speak) I've always been excited for the tournament, not so much this time around. I'll still watch as many of the games as I can (and have already booked a spot in the local pub for the England v Scotland game) but it doesn't feel the same!

Purple Orange

On Moderation
This is pretty representative of the ones i've looked at in Germany. Image shows German bookmaker quoting France as favourites followed by England, Belgium, Germany and Spain.

View attachment 97785

This was the general outlook in France. Image shows French bookmaker quoting Italy as favourite followed by Germany, England, Belgium and Spain.

View attachment 97786

2nd favourites - I’d take that going in to a tournament. However we need to build momentum.

westv

Established Member
25 years ago but the lyrics are as valid now as they were then.
Now it's 55 years of hurt rather than 30. Will we do it this time? Probably not. :frown:

Everyone seems to know the score
They've seen it all before
They just know
They're so sure
That England's gonna throw it away
Gonna blow it away
But I know they can play
'Cause I remember
Three Lions on a shirt
Jules Rimet still gleaming
Thirty years of hurt
Never stopped me dreaming
So many jokes, so many sneers
But all those oh-so-nears
Wear you down
Through the years

Butts

Veteran Member
UK bookies always offer silly odds on England at tournaments and people line up to throw money away!

How much money would you place on your bête noir namely us - the "sweaty socks"

Have you retired from making your usual derogatory remarks about Ecosse ?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
How much money would you place on your bête noir namely us - the "sweaty socks"

Have you retired from making your usual derogatory remarks about Ecosse ?

Nothing - you get knocked out in the first round every time ;) Scotland, with their at best Championship level squad, have done really well to qualify. However, they have only qualified due to the numbers allowed to qualify being extended.

JamesT

Established Member
I hate to be pessimistic like this but I don't understand how we are second favourites to win. The World Cup 2018 performance certainly doesn't support the idea; we won 4 games yes, but only scraped wins against Colombia and even Tunisia and lost twice to Belgium and once to Croatia. Anytime we came up against half decent opposition we lost. Very likely England's talent is yet again being overhyped. Though I hope I'm wrong.

Isn't that status merely a reflection of the fact that the English will tend to bet on themselves, so it's accounting for the overwhelming number of bets rather than the chances of winning?

Geezertronic

Established Member
I don't think I'll be watching much of it to be honest, especially the England matches with the kneeling nonsense that has nothing to do with tackling Racism.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Crying out loud. You’re not honestly saying that a team taking the knee for 10 seconds before kickoff is enough to make you to not want to watch the match?! What has the world come to?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I don't think I'll be watching much of it to be honest, especially the England matches with the kneeling nonsense that has nothing to do with tackling Racism.
Really? Why are you against this? The players have explained why they are doing it, as has the manager, very eloquently. What upsets you so much about their stance? If you say "Marxism" I will scream.
Crying out loud. You’re not honestly saying that a team taking the knee for 10 seconds before kickoff is enough to make you to not want to watch the match?! What has the world come to?
The world has gone mad. Phony culture wars to deflect from real issues.

Geezertronic

Established Member

Exactly, what has the world come to when virtue signalling is the apparent norm... You don’t honestly think that kneeling is for, or has any impact on racism do you? Why not show true support for the Kick It Out campaign which is footballs own equality & inclusion organisation that everyone, no matter what their colour or gender is, should get behind?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Why not show true support for the Kick It Out campaign which is footballs own equality & inclusion organisation that everyone, no matter what their colour or gender is, should get behind?
Happy with an anti racist campaign as long as it isn't in your face as you can ignore it safely. Got it.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
About 41% of football fans don’t think taking the knee is a good idea. I’m inclined to think that having everything always be about everything - that is, everything being political all the time - is wearisome and not really the sign of a healthy society.

Please, not every arena of public life has to be about politics or activism, even if the motives are sound or innocent.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
As i say: what is it in the statments made by the england players and management you are against?

If kneeling upsets you so much then turn the tv on a minute later! No need to raise your blood pressure and you can still watch the game.

PS is there a list of topics footballers may express an opinion on?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
As i say: what is it in the statments made by the england players and management you are against?

If kneeling upsets you so much then turn the tv on a minute later! No need to raise your blood pressure and you can still watch the game.

PS is there a list of topics footballers may express an opinion on?
You don’t have to be against the statements to find both them, and the personal criticism which will arise from giving even the most minor critique about them, tiresome.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
You don’t have to be against the statements to find both them, and the personal criticism which will arise from giving even the most minor critique about them, tiresome.

But i dont understand how the personal choice of a group of young men to use thier platform or voice to make a protest about somerhing importnant to them is worth getting so riled up.

Why would a person boo or object to another person saying, essentially, please dont racially abuse me whilat i work?

The players have explained thier stance and it seems praiseworthy not onjectionable.

When challenged most people against this simply parrot obvious social media tropes pumped out by the usual right wing commentators. I am not even sure most know what they are complaining about!

Its marxist innit seems to be the general response!

Status
Not open for further replies.