• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ugliest EMU/DMU

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Oh, and last of all, the CFL 2200 double decker units (and their SNCF counterparts): http://www.rail.lu/im/x/Halanzy-2204-cfl-07-04-08-(4).jpg

I had a ride on the French version from Nice to Monaco. They'd be nice units if SNCF looked after them and kept them clean. Not even SET or FCC would have allowed any of the sets I saw out in traffic. They were heavily tagged and etched on every surface (including the seats) and there was sentient life forming in the window ledge vents!

Pity as the route was very scenic! (Think Dawlish but more mountainous and with bigger Gin Palaces!)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duffers2324

I quite like the Class 380 but i think the best is the newly refurbished 334's they look so much sleeker and proper Intercity trains now since they have been "Spotrailed" for ugliness i think it has to be the 153

James Wood

Class 126 almost made me vomit.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Am I the only one who kept doubting myself over what you called ugly?

alexl92

Established Member
I absolutely hate 175s. Scrap them all!
The 460s and 380s are not nice either. The 319s are disgusting.
142s just because they remind me that such a thing is still considered acceptable in the UK in 2014. Most of the MK1-based multiple units were ugly too. And 395s are boring but not necessarily ugly.

cactustwirly

Established Member
It's gotta go to this thing.

8190246681_cc1a3665e7_z.jpg

starrymarkb

Established Member
IIRC it's the same as the 222 one. Means Bombardier just need to keep one type in stock. As 220 ones break/get replaced they'll get it aswell

AM9

Veteran Member
Much as some here clearly don't like corridor connections, even they know that through gangways are important in some cases, so couldn't we have examples of both from posters?
For example, I think that the 350/444/450 Desiros are quite acceptable implementations of a gangwayed front but the 380 isn't. The 172/375/377/379 Electrostar fronts are also fine.
For non through-gangwayed stock, the Desiro 185/360 fronts are OK as are the 170/357 designs. The 376 & 378 fronts don't look so good, but like the 319, the 378 has to meet both signal sighting requirements yet have emergency egress in tunnels so the aesthetics of the design are compromised.
One thing that I think does create poor results is when original designs are modified away from their original design team. The MKIII MUs are quite respectable for their time, but attempts to add/remove gangway connections spoil the lines of the original design as seen in the 455/8 modifications done for Southern. I think that the original 455/8 (and 317/1) design has shades of US railcar design and does not look out of place.
Going back further, as has been mentioned above, the 309s with their original curved windows were smart at the time, as were the 124s and 303s.
SR Nelsons, 503s and early non-SR DC stock as found on MS&JR and Watford DC lines.

physics34

Established Member
Class 126

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Glasgow_Central_Cravens_split_code_end_Class_126_and_Class_107.jpg

.. Though I really don't care for the look of the cab ends of Southern 455's .. a right mess compared to SWT 455's.

the other end with the curved cab windows though looked nice!
I absolutely hate 175s. Scrap them all!
The 460s and 380s are not nice either. The 319s are disgusting.
142s just because they remind me that such a thing is still considered acceptable in the UK in 2014. Most of the MK1-based multiple units were ugly too. And 395s are boring but not necessarily ugly.

Agree 175s are hideous.

Nothing wrong with 319s.

I cant see the issue with 455s, i think they are ok.

I think that the 1963 design SR EMUS always looked quite handsome to me (classes 421 - 438).

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
The cab of the 380s is how all future builds of Desiros will look if they have a corridor connection

The Southern class 455s look a bit ugly

SprinterMan

Established Member
140s and 141s are pretty hideous (makes a 142 look like a 395 :P ) but the inner cabs of a 126 take it for me. I am genuinely unsettled and upset by how they look.

Adam :D

AM9

Veteran Member
The cab of the 380s is how all future builds of Desiros will look if they have a corridor connection

The Southern class 455s look a bit ugly

Then their opportunities will be limited as the sighting is pretty poor.
142s because they just should not be around- electrify lines and new build EMUs please.

319s are much better than Pacers and they can run perfectly well under new wires.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
For me the 319s are quite ugly.

In terms of the nicest I'd say a 175, 390 or 395.

I agree that 319s aren't the prettiest, especially when compared with the technically similar 320/321/322 series. Just a shame the Moorgate line didn't close 20 years sooner!

442s probably the best, but the 158/159s can be both striking and hideous, depending on how much care has been given. When Northern Spirit refurbished the Transpennine sets, extending the yellow panels upwards onto the Base of the windows made them look far sleeker... But it wasn't long before windscreens needed replacing, leaving them looking lopsided.

James Wood

Hello,

Time for another 318259 "opinion thread".

What, in your opinion, is the ugliest DMU or EMU ever made? Not in terms of livery, just in terms of shape, window position, things like that?

I can't decide between the ScotRail class 380 and the Gatwick Express class 442.

320px-380004_at_Largs_2011.jpg

320px-442411_Gatwick_Express.JPG

The 380 is one of my faces, and the 442 is okay.
I'm going to have to say that my vote goes to southern's 455s (both before and after refurb!)

fetchimage.php

before

fetchimage.php

after

South West Trains managed to make their /8s look nice(r), why couldn't southern!?!

Not my images

The southern 455s after refurb are the nicest 455s in my opinion, and I take the 455/8s to school, so i like them too.
The 380s are really nice, but the cab ends look like a train wreck. Quite ironic, since that ugly design is supposed to help in the event of a collision.

Yikes! Those 455s are horrendous. The other trains in the family look so much better. Especially the 318.

The best one is the 508.
The 380 would be my nomination, it looks like it's been punched.
The Nankai 50000 is the most amazing-looking unit ever produced.

The word ugly was invented to describe the Nankai 50000 and class 126.

ThePannier

Least favourite EMU - Class 380
Least favourite DMU - Voyager (looks like a rip-off of a Pendolino to me, don't know why haha)

samuelmorris

Established Member
I was never a huge fan of the looks of any of the 455s, or indeed the 317s for that matter, but even though the SWT examples seem 'messier' with the corridor connection I still prefer them externally to the Southern examples. In general almost anything with a corridor on it I'm not all that keen on. The 380s are pretty hideous IMO for the same reason, especially when compared to the 350s they superceded, but I actually quite like the 395s (and correspondingly the 800s/801s) and even the voyagers, at least aesthetically (although despite the smell I don't mind them too much to travel on, either).

Andyh82

Established Member
Any train with jumper cables on show make them look ugly, in fact I'm surprised some were even allowed as often the cables are dangling in front of the lights.

The 380s just don't look right, you can either have a sleek slimlined raked front or you can have a corridor connection, you can't have both.

If we built trains long enough for their main use, so they only had to run in multiple on occasional peak journeys, we wouldn't have this problem and all trains could have full fronts.

Status
Not open for further replies.