• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK place names - your favourites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Oh spoiled it there, I thought Egypt, in Thornton, near Bradford, Yorkshire was the only one. Although nearby are Moscow and World's End!

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

There's a number listed here: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/gallery/2014/aug/26/british-towns-with-foreign-names-in-pictures Who thought Bermuda was so close to the West Coast Mainline?

There's also an Ontario basin and Eerie basin at Salford Quays. They just missed out a Niagara stream to go between the two!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

deltic1989

Established Member
This thread has descended to my level.

Cockermouth, need I say more?

I quite agree, we are now within reach of my sense of humour. :D

Sh itterton, and a small island off the coast of Northumbria called Faggot.

For sheer laughs though one would struggle to beat the small Canadian town of Dildo, a gift that keeps on giving, with the Dildo Store in its everons, and an annual festival where one can win Dildo Dollars.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I quite agree, we are now within reach of my sense of humour. :D

Sh itterton, and a small island off the coast of Northumbria called Faggot.

For sheer laughs though one would struggle to beat the small Canadian town of Dildo, a gift that keeps on giving, with the Dildo Store in its everons, and an annual festival where one can win Dildo Dollars.

I presume Dildo is in a part of Canada where the sun don't shine.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Mention of Sh itterton reminds me that three villages near Wakefield (Overton, Middlestown and Netherton) were at one time known as Upper, Middle, and Lower Sh itlington. Indeed the area is still known as the Parish of Sitlington (note the dropped aitch).

SteveP29

Also Puddletown, Piddlehinton, Piddletrenthide and Tolpuddle in Dorset

My Grandmother was born and raised in Piddletrenthide, beautiful place
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh spoiled it there, I thought Egypt, in Thornton, near Bradford, Yorkshire was the only one. Although nearby are Moscow and World's End!

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

Part of Piddletrenthide is named Egypt, the central part of the north end of the village

DarloRich

Veteran Member
  • Beer - Devon
  • Great Cockup and Little Cock up - Both fells in the lake district
  • Hole of Horcum - North Yorkshire
  • Hole Bottom - North Yorkshire ( near Hebden i think)
  • Ramsbottom - Lancashire
  • Shingay cum Wendy - Cambridgeshire
  • Weedon - Northamptonshire

I was once told there was a village called Fudgepack on Humberside but i think that is made up

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
Indeed there's a village called Fudgepack-on-Humber and in Hampshire there's ****nob.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Take a look at www.lovetravelengland.com, there's some rather interesting names of places.

lejog

Established Member
A drive along the A10 in the Herts/Essex borders used to provide very tempting signs to turn off to visit both Nasty and Cold Christmas.

Whistler40145

Established Member
No wonder.

If ****nob is the name of a village why is there any need to censor it, was it censored by you or RailUK?
I think it's RailUK that censors words as I entered the name in full. Obviously this is done so not to offend members.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I think it's the swear filter.

See ****terton and Scunthorpe for further details.

Isn't it ridiculous, I can't mention fu*k (or indeed Fuc*ing, a village in Austria) but intercourse, shag, bonk and coitus are all ok as are, fick and fock, but not fa*k or fe*k apparently.

Castle Cary

I think that Hush Episcopi and Hatch Beauchamp, both in Somerset and Catherine de Barnes in Warwickshire are phonetically pleasing and suggest an interesting past.

Near Caen , in France, is the village of Vieux Fume (Old Smokey), again, with probably an interesting history and near Grenoble is Les Bons Enfants - usually with a few tourists taking photos of their children at the village sign.

An old school exercise book - from about the age of seven - asks me to name three major English seaports. My answer 'Southampton, Liverpool and Langport' got a pleasing tick from the master (who lived in Wyke Champflower - another nice name).

Western Lord

There are two villages in the UK named Loggerheads. I've always liked the idea of stopping at one of them with the wife and ringing someone to say we are at loggerheads. Unfortunately, nobody would be surprised. The village of Ugley is quite attractive, but the local Women's Institute calls itself the Women's Institute of Ugley rather than the Ugley Women's Institute.

tsr

Established Member
I know of a couple of foot crossings over railway lines called "Pratt's Crossing" or similar. I always hope there are no prats trying to cross.

I have previously been told that a train has experienced an isolation cock problem on the move towards the Ouse Valley Viaduct, requiring assistance from fitters at Lover's Walk Depot.

I am always surprised by the apparent lack of graffiti at Uckfield, and, in particular, on signs concerning the River Uck.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There are two villages in the UK named Loggerheads. I've always liked the idea of stopping at one of them with the wife and ringing someone to say we are at loggerheads. Unfortunately, nobody would be surprised. The village of Ugley is quite attractive, but the local Women's Institute calls itself the Women's Institute of Ugley rather than the Ugley Women's Institute.

The same goes for the village of Loose in Kent.

Such vanity did not afflict the Idle Working Men's Club though...

A few others round here I like are Flushdyke, Stainland and Fagley.

deltic1989

Established Member
Jerusalem in Lincolnshire, provided me with pause for thought in my teens.
If we are to follow the Hymn of the same name, I may now cease from mental fight, and allow my sword to sleep in my hand.

Calthrop

Established Member
Jerusalem in Lincolnshire, provided me with pause for thought in my teens.
If we are to follow the Hymn of the same name, I may now cease from mental fight, and allow my sword to sleep in my hand.

Lincolnshire -- IMO a sadly overlooked county, full of much good stuff -- indeed has some wonderful place-names, often double-barrelled. I'm fond of a couple of same within a few miles of each other: Ashby Puerorum, and Mavis Enderby.

backontrack

Established Member
Lincolnshire -- IMO a sadly overlooked county, full of much good stuff -- indeed has some wonderful place-names, often double-barrelled. I'm fond of a couple of same within a few miles of each other: Ashby Puerorum, and Mavis Enderby.

Don't forget Horncastle, Hubbert's Bridge, Whaplode, Cowbit, Guthram Gowt, Burton Coggles, Threekingham, B**chfield, Horbling, Navenby, Norton Disney and Strubby!

Requeststop

How many town starting with a Z? I count 4.

Zeal Monachorum
Zeele
Zelah
Zennor

This from The Motorist's Atlas of Britain from 1987. From 48 pages of index surely many (funny names) can be found. Strange that Northern Ireland is not listed, but Wales and Scotland are. Maybe because of the troubles there.

Zelah I know and Zennor I know very well. I not describe as a town. Zennor the final Parish alphabetically in England. I believe Zetland is the same in Scotland.

There is a passageway near Fenchurch Street named Crutched Friars!

Splatt in Cornwall amuses!

AndrewE

Established Member
Also in Somerset: Nempnett Thrubwell,
My favourite ever since I cycled through there 40-plus years ago. Must have been in the last few weeks that the pub was open, a barrel of beer and one of cider on a shelf in the back room of a house!
A
From Clue: What's the question to which the answer is "Ordinary, Boring and Dismal?"

Answer: they are all places in the USA!

backontrack

Established Member
Zelah I know and Zennor I know very well. I not describe as a town. Zennor the final Parish alphabetically in England. I believe Zetland is the same in Scotland.

Do you mean Shetland? If you do, then you should just call it Shetland - only the postcode (ZE) still uses a Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.