• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK place names - your favourites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaleCooper

Established Member
Ring's End in Cambridgeshire and not far away - Tipp's End and Three Holes.

I think all the villages in the UK must have been named by the Round the Horne team.

Waldgrun

Knockin in Shropshire for the sign painted over the Village store!:p

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Don't forget Horncastle, Hubbert's Bridge, Whaplode, Cowbit, Guthram Gowt, Burton Coggles, Threekingham, B**chfield, Horbling, Navenby, Norton Disney and Strubby!

Pronounced in the area (where I spent my early childhood), "Cubbit". On a grice in those parts, my "English-pronunciation/spelling-are-phonetic" pedant friend, insisted that it was correctly pronounced "Cow-bit" -- "to hell with what the local morons might say".

DaleCooper

Established Member
Pronounced in the area (where I spent my early childhood), "Cubbit". On a grice in those parts, my "English-pronunciation/spelling-are-phonetic" pedant friend, insisted that it was correctly pronounced "Cow-bit" -- "to hell with what the local morons might say".

I suppose he would have said Wisebeck for Wisbech (Wizbitch or Wizbeach).

Last edited:

Established Member
The parishes of Rickinghall Superior and Rickinghall Inferior near Diss (a silly name in itself) strike me as amusing. Must be awful living in Inferior.

Calthrop

Established Member

I suppose he would have said Wisebeck for Wisbech (Wizbitch or Wizbeach).

Probably. As a kid, I had fantasies about that town as a place on the beach, where holidaymakers were excitingly whizzed around...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I know of a couple of foot crossings over railway lines called "Pratt's Crossing" or similar. I always hope there are no prats trying to cross.

That reminds me of the existence of the village of Pratt's Bottom near Orpington in the suburban part of Kent.

deltic1989

Established Member
I don't think anyone's mentioned Gotham, Nottinghamshire.

How could I forget that one, it's practically on my doorstep. Although I understand it is supposed to be pronounce Go-tam, that didn't stop a couple of local jokers dressing up as Batman and Robin and wondering around the other day, waiting for the Google car. :D

Lincolnshire -- IMO a sadly overlooked county, full of much good stuff -- indeed has some wonderful place-names, often double-barrelled. I'm fond of a couple of same within a few miles of each other: Ashby Puerorum, and Mavis Enderby.

Quadring Eubank has always sounded rather pleasing to me. Puts me in mind of a boxer having 4 fights in a day.

Don't forget Horncastle, Hubbert's Bridge, Whaplode, Cowbit, Guthram Gowt, Burton Coggles, Threekingham, B**chfield, Horbling, Navenby, Norton Disney and Strubby!

And not forgetting Spital-in-the-Street, and Donna Nook.

IanD

Established Member
I like:

Blubberhouses in North Yorks.

Broadwoodwidger and Wolfardisworthy in Devon

Timberhonger in Worcestershire.

Menheniot and St Germans in Cornwall.

Beccles and Bungay in Suffolk.

Although there's nothing particulalry amusing about most of them.

Last edited:

mikeg

Established Member
I can't believe nobody's mentioned Westward Ho!, Devon. AFAIK it's the only place with an exclamation mark in its name in the UK.

I've always been amused by North and East Cowton in North Yorkshire, near Darlington, the names seem fitting given the agricultural nature of the area.

Last edited:

DaleCooper

Established Member

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
To answer some people's queries, the swear filter can have exceptions added so that when a rude word is part of a longer word it can be excluded from being starred out.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I've always been amused by North and East Cowton in North Yorkshire, near Darlington, the names seem fitting given the agricultural nature of the area.

I know them well ;)

The Bees Wing at East Cowton always did a good pint.

( There is also a South Cowton and a Cowton Station on the ECML))

steamybrian

Established Member
I am surprised no-one has mentioned.. Idle near Bradford.
I presume there is a..
Idle Working Mens Club.
Idle Womens Institute
etc.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Pity Me & High Wham in Co Durham. The Land of Nod near Selby

There allegedly were other places in Co Durham but I can't find them on Google Maps:
Linger & die
Quaking Houses
Cooperative Villas
No Place (I think the last two were the same place)

IanD

Established Member
I am surprised no-one has mentioned.. Idle near Bradford.
I presume there is a..
Idle Working Mens Club.
Idle Womens Institute
etc.

I presume you're suprised because you're too Idle to read the previous posts (see post 80 and 104).

Definitely an Idle Working Mens Club and there used to be an Idle Youth Centre. Not sure about the WI though.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not to mention my favourite pub (now closed) renamed from The Junction to The Idle C**k.

Status
Not open for further replies.