• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK train passengers face loss of free wi-fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabrielhj07

Want somebody to attend a meeting in Glasgow when they work in London they have all 3 options. Driving is annoying and stressful, so it's between flying and taking the train. Flying is quicker but has the inability to connect while in the air and the stress of an airport. If the train is offering WiFi they can work during their journey without the stress. Remove the WiFi and they are better flying as they are unable to work for less time.
When deciding whether to fly or take the train, I doubt Wi-Fi availability is the deciding factor.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
When deciding whether to fly or take the train, I doubt Wi-Fi availability is the deciding factor.
I have chosen flights based on Wi-Fi availability before, as being able to be online in the air certainly makes a flight feel quicker.

mralexn

It might also be worth mentioning that a large of people who use our trains are international tourists, therefore they are far less likely to have a phone with a UK data plan.

dcsprior

I’ve always been somewhat confused in this day and age of mobile data why Tocs and the taxpayer have invested millions into on-train Wi-Fi.
  1. Because often the WiFi has better coverage than my network
  2. Because my phone burns battery when used as a hotspot. Only one power socket so can't plug it in and also my laptop
  3. Because having WiFi allows ToCs to stream stuff that doesn't come over the internet, which they may be able to make revenue from
Personally I'd still happily get rid, but only if there was 100% mobile coverage from all operators on the route. When they last issued some mobile licenses (ie for 5G), they could've made it a condition of the license that every train line had to have 100% coverage within X years.

12LDA28C

Established Member
It might also be worth mentioning that a large of people who use our trains are international tourists, therefore they are far less likely to have a phone with a UK data plan.

If you meant to say 'a large percentage' or 'a large number', I'm not sure that's particularly true as they would represent a tiny fraction of total passenger numbers.

RobShipway

Established Member
If you meant to say 'a large percentage' or 'a large number', I'm not sure that's particularly true as they would represent a tiny fraction of total passenger numbers.
In the same way that my Vodafone mobile phone, will pickup the partner network in France, Germany or wherever in Europe any international customers phones should pickup the partner network here in the UK. Having a phone without a UK data plan should not be an issue, it would just be more costly to them with international rates. However, they may actually find the response quicker though using their mobile phone with their laptop than it possibly would be with using Wifi on the train.

This would be a retrograde step for me. I routinely use Northern, TPE,LNER and XC WiFi. Northern and TPE are both pretty good whilst LNER is patchier (mostly bad in rural Lincolnshire).

If it goes I would have to hotspot my personal mobile to my work laptop, and I don't really see why I should use up my own data and burn through my phone battery for that.

Re 4/4

Someone's tins of beans are more expensive because you don't want to pay for data.

For supermarket wifi, this is almost definitely false. First, the marginal cost of customer wifi is less than the full cost of the routers and other devices because they're also needed for the shop's own purposes already. Second, wifi helps offer customer features like self scan apps.

But mainly, like Nectar cards and similar, wifi is actually a huge financial plus for the shops because of the customer data they can gather and analyse, and the advertising that can come from that. See https://techgdpr.com/blog/wifi-tracking-retail-analytics-gdpr/ for an introduction to that area, or if you're ever really bored, read the T&C you have to agree to when you sign up. This stuff is a cash cow.

vicbury

As for many it is the difference between being able to work during the journey or not it might be an important factor
My company would much rather we don't use public WiFi, which is insecure, and instead recommends tethering our work phones. Any employee who needs data on the move should be issued with a company phone if it is so essential.

Energy

Established Member
My company would much rather we don't use public WiFi, which is insecure, and instead recommends tethering our work phones. Any employee who needs data on the move should be issued with a company phone if it is so essential.
Its quite common to insist on tethering or just issuing laptops with SIM cards built in. IIRC Network Rail doesn't allow the usage of public WiFi so they can't use on train WiFi either.

david1212

Established Member
For the minuscule amount that getting rid of free wifi will actually save the bean counters, is it really worth the hassle. To me, this just seems like another retrograde step by this government and it's attitude to the railway in general.

Exactly. Neither rail or the government need any more negative publicity.

As it is it may not be brilliant for a variety of reasons and I can understand no further retro-fitment. For new build the cost must be much less plus part of the installation is likely to need anyway for e.g. capacity/load monitoring, remote diagnostics etc. Also while on train staff will have independent internet access on company devices the train system could reduce gaps in coverage.

Bandwidth restriction makes sense so prioritising checking email, Real Time Trains and bustimes.org for connections, looking at onward travel options in case of disruption over watching a film, Youtube.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Maybe I'm a bit of an outlier here but why do some people on trains feel they need to be connected to the internet every second of their journey? If you want to entertain yourself over the course of your journey, try looking out of the window; the view will be far more interesting than anything you can see on a mobile or laptop screen. If it's dark or you're travelling through a dull industrial area read a book or maybe listen to some music on your mp3 player. None of these activities require a wifi connection.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Maybe I'm a bit of an outlier here but why do some people on trains feel they need to be connected to the internet every second of their journey? If you want to entertain yourself over the course of your journey, try looking out of the window; the view will be far more interesting than anything you can see on a mobile or laptop screen. If it's dark or you're travelling through a dull industrial area read a book or maybe listen to some music on your mp3 player. None of these activities require a wifi connection.

I quite agree.

bramling

Veteran Member
Story in The Times, see UK train passengers face loss of free wi-fi. Kite fying?
Passengers face losing access to wi-fi on trains after ministers told rail companies to cut costs.

In two minds. On the one hand most people have ample data, so not really an issue.

However, I made a rare journey by bus today, and was quite surprised to find a local bus on Tyneside had comfortable seats, bays of four seats with a table, wi-fi, plug sockets, USB, litter bins etc. Surprisingly favourable compared to the way rail is going at the moment.

Adsy125

Because people don't just travel for leisure, or even during leisure travel, people want to get things done!

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Because not everybody can afford bottomless data, and free WiFi is about adding value to the services.

Even buses now have free WiFi in many areas, removing it from trains is senseless and another case of separating the haves from the have nots.
You can get sims at £6 month which give more data than most will ever use.

Bedpan

Established Member
I wholeheartedly agree too. What matters most to me is having a seat by a window that I can see out of properly.

Established Member
They were old enough to be my parents. Now it’s more the other way round…

Indeed - scary isn’t it!? That clip certainly brings back memories. I watched the later 90s series as a kid (apologies for going slightly off topic).

Tempus fugit!

ChewChewTrain

I tend to agree with those who say that with mobile data now being as good as it is, on-train wifi has had its day, and should probably go the way of on-train entertainment systems. Who can afford UK train fares but not a second-hand phone with data?

The only thing I’d miss is seeing that my UniFi has picked up trains’ networks as they pass the end of my (long) back garden at 125mph. Heck, it detects light aircraft networks sometimes.

RJ

Established Member

I do a journey which is two hours each way 2 or 3 times a week. That can be used as working time to get technical tasks done, making progress on projects or sorting out business related matters.

Looking out the window at the same scenery for 12 hours a week isn’t a terribly productive use of my time. If it wasn’t possible to work on the go then I wouldn’t be doing that journey at all, I would have to reside much closer to work.

But, if you travel for leisure, or travel time is a chance to get some peace from home and work then using that time to relax is a more attractive prospect and internet might not be that important.

There are different types of passengers using the trains and connectivity will be a trip generator for some people.

tomuk

Established Member
I do a journey which is two hours each way 2 or 3 times a week. That can be used as working time to get technical tasks done, making progress on projects or sorting out business related matters.

Looking out the window at the same scenery for 12 hours a week isn’t a terribly productive use of my time. If it wasn’t possible to work on the go then I wouldn’t be doing that journey at all, I would have to reside much closer to work.

But, if you travel for leisure, or travel time is a chance to get some peace from home and work then using that time to relax is a more attractive prospect and internet might not be that important.

There are different types of passengers using the trains and connectivity will be a trip generator for some people.
Why can't you use mobile data 4G\5G?

Status
Not open for further replies.