• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UKs sharpest gradient change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezertronic

Established Member
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Lickey Incline although according to the information in Wikipedia that is only a 1:38 incline

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Lickey Incline although according to the information in Wikipedia that is only a 1:38 incline

The first post is from the Lickey summit

mackenzie_blu

I was under the impression the climb on the north side of Farringdon (Thameslink) was steeper greater than the one into Blackfriars. (Not that much in it tho). Will try and find out what the graident offically is for the pair.

Skie

http://jjm.fotopic.net/p56016413.html

Very old picture shows the Leeds Street climb up out of the underground section of the Merseyrail Northern line. Trains have to be given a green at the previous station as they cannot be stopped on the climb out as it is too steep to get them moving again. The gradient is listed variably as 1 in 25 to 1 in 30. Quite a fun ride, and the drop at the top is very apparent.

The mersey tunnel is also pretty steep, being 1 in 27 at one end for a short run.

matchmaker

Established Member
After being virtually flat the whole way from Edinburgh, the 1 in 42 descent down Cowlairs is a bit of a change. Not so obvious today, but it was a lot clearer if you were sat behind the driver on a 1st generation dmu.

D6975

Established Member
How steep is the DLR where it dives down the side of Fenchurch St en route to Bank?

Oswyntail

Established Member
The descent from Guiseley to Apperley Junction is quite steep. I seem to remember it was the reason that the 144 centre cars were powered.

D6975

Established Member
Answering my own question, apparently the DLR has a max gradient of 6% on the stretch that I mentioned.
That's approx 1 in 17, it goes to that from dead flat in just a few yards.

Sadly I cannot recall any with severe gradients that are currently open.

I do remember the Brecon and Merthyr Junction Railway was once called the "Breakneck and Murder Railway" owing to the steep gradients which caused many accidents.

I also recall walking along the Clydach gorge on what was once the Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway, that was on the extreme side for a line, can't imagine how they'd deal with runaways back then:

Heads of the Valley Line

mumrar

Established Member
How long did that 1in40-38 gradient go on for? For steam crews it must have been hell on earth, for steam fans heaven in their backyard. A very well put together and thorough collection of shots, which do help to imagine the sights and sounds of the old power houses dominating the surrounding scenery. Thank you.

poshbakerloo

London Underground has some shockingly tight curves. I know when taking a Sheffield-Stockport train, in the second tunnel when coming from Sheffield (forget its name) there is quite a dip in the tracks and it almost feels like ur falling for a split second.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
How long did that 1in40-38 gradient go on for?
I guess the numbers along the horizontal scale are miles. So that's downhil at 1:40 for 1500yds than up at 1:34 / 1:38 for five whole miles! The fuel delivery system must have been exhausted, in pain and covered in that unique combination of sweat and soot.

what's the average gradient then on the stretch between Gowerton sta. and Cockett tunnel on route to Swansea? It's quite a climb and i've heard HST's can't manage this bank when one engine has failed

Status
Not open for further replies.