• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ULEZ - Plans (and would you have to pay?)

would you have to pay in you lived in a ULEZ due to the car(s) you own?

• Yes

Votes: 27 12.3%
  • Yes, but am looking to change cars in the next 6 months

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • No

Votes: 188 85.8%

• Total voters

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Can we wait for a supply of suitable ULEZ compliant cars to build up please before we start driving demand up again.

I have in the last week encountered two people who cannot get a suitable car.

Are you seriously telling me you can't find a 17 year old petrol used car anywhere? I'm sorry, but that's just totally untrue. Classics aside, that's almost every single petrol left on the road.

Used car values are a bit elevated at the moment, granted, but that'll include non-ULEZ compliant ones. The only people who will have trouble are those who do "bangernomics", as a reliable £500 runaround no longer exists, ULEZ compliant or not.

The problem seems to be (and there were a lot of LBC callers about this) people don't do their research to find what is compliant, they just assume it has to be nearly new.

I'm not sure a Vectra counts as a new (or even modern) car though?!

I had a Vectra for about 5 years and it never broke down. If you're buying an old car (and the newest Vectras *are* now quite old, even if petrols are ULEZ compliant) you're taking a risk and really do need to do your homework.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I'm not sure a Vectra counts as a new (or even modern) car though?!
Not everyone buys the sort of new car the Alice in wonderland consumerist advertising ridden world believes we should all have. Plenty of us buy 10-20 year old cars as that is all we are prepared to spend and for many is all they can afford. Furthermore many of those buying the nice to have shiny new car (that has a carbon footprint for making it) expect to get some money for their cast off - its called part exchange. Later those cars get sold again to help pay for a newer old car.

Are you seriously telling me you can't find a 17 year old petrol used car anywhere? I'm sorry, but that's just totally untrue. Classics aside, that's almost every single petrol left on the road.

Used car values are a bit elevated at the moment, granted, but that'll include non-ULEZ compliant ones. The only people who will have trouble are those who do "bangernomics", as a reliable £500 runaround no longer exists, ULEZ compliant or not.

The problem seems to be (and there were a lot of LBC callers about this) people don't do their research to find what is compliant, they just assume it has to be nearly new.

I had a Vectra for about 5 years and it never broke down. If you're buying an old car (and the newest Vectras *are* now quite old, even if petrols are ULEZ compliant) you're taking a risk and really do need to do your homework.
I made a wee bit of a mistake plumping for a Vectra with the 2.2 litre engine when I had been aiming for the stronger and more common 1.8VVT. Supply had been tricky and I have watched it get worse so I jumped at the wrong one.

Andrew*Debbie

From comments on another forum older, used car dealers say low priced "essential" cars are all that are selling well at the moment.

Prices on near-new electric cars have dropped considerably. I've seen several 2022 Vauxhall Corsa-e on AutoTrader for under £15,000, a 2022 Renult Zoe under £13,000 and a 2022 Smart ForFor can be had for under £12,000. I know this is beyond what many people can afford, but EVs are not as expensive as you might think. With home charging, per-mile costs can be far lower than a 12 year old petrol car.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Can we wait for a supply of suitable ULEZ compliant cars to build up please before we start driving demand up again.

I have in the last week encountered two people who cannot get a suitable car.

One kind of disabled (various minor ailments) actually gave up her VW Golf in favour of the bus. She has noticed she picks up ailments more often. Now wishes she had kept her car and swallowed the ULEZ charge. She has looked at a replacement car and found them to be too expensive.

Another lady lost her car in an accident. It was "written off" but was fine. She settled for the money and then discovered all she could get is an unreliable car that now sits outside her house awaiting a decision on whether to throw more money at it.

Actually I planned ahead and bought a Vectra that has turned into a money pit. Spent no more on it since end of August as it does not work (head gasket). Looking at a replacement and finding they are scarce. Should have kept my 1994 Vauxhall Carlton. I am really struck with how unreliable new cars are. I ave also noticed how cumbersome newer ICE cars are. They are heavy and large - that does not seem very ecological to me.

The supply of reasonably priced second hand compliant cars is just not there.
If you haven't used your vehicle since August, was it truly necessary? Would it not have cost you less to sell up / scrap in your vehicle and used public transport, replacing with private hire taxi and short term car hire as and when public transport is impossible?

stuu

Established Member
Not everyone buys the sort of new car the Alice in wonderland consumerist advertising ridden world believes we should all have. Plenty of us buy 10-20 year old cars as that is all we are prepared to spend and for many is all they can afford. Furthermore many of those buying the nice to have shiny new car (that has a carbon footprint for making it) expect to get some money for their cast off - its called part exchange. Later those cars get sold again to help pay for a newer old car.
Autotrader has 3,765 cars which include ULEZ compliance in the advert in the £2-5k bracket within 25 miles of Croydon, there are over 8,000 available in total and I would bet most of the others are also compliant

Peter Sarf

Established Member
If you haven't used your vehicle since August, was it truly necessary? Would it not have cost you less to sell up / scrap in your vehicle and used public transport, replacing with private hire taxi and short term car hire as and when public transport is impossible?
Its been a hardship. I will definitely suffer this Christmas. It is not through choice that I have gone without a car but I do walk and use public transport more than most people anyway. That is why I wish I had just stuck with my old car for the little use it got.
Autotrader has 3,765 cars which include ULEZ compliance in the advert in the £2-5k bracket within 25 miles of Croydon, there are over 8,000 available in total and I would bet most of the others are also compliant
I have not seen what I am after when I have looked but things might be improving - That is what I am hanging on for. Usually aim for around £1k. A bit unreasonable to define too precisely as My last two cars were Vauxhall Carltons that I had over twenty years from 1999.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Its been a hardship. I will definitely suffer this Christmas. It is not through choice that I have gone without a car but I do walk and use public transport more than most people anyway. That is why I wish I had just stuck with my old car for the little use it got.
You say the use was little, but there's still been a hardship? That doesn't seem to square to me. Unless you're saying that you've now spent so much on the purchase price of your new vehicle and it's maintenance costs, less the sale price of your old vehicle, that you're now unable to afford short term hires?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
You say the use was little, but there's still been a hardship? That doesn't seem to square to me. Unless you're saying that you've now spent so much on the purchase price of your new vehicle and it's maintenance costs, less the sale price of your old vehicle, that you're now unable to afford short term hires?
My bold.
Yes. I have been without a working car for three months. Got a backlog of jobs to do. I can get by but not forever. I don't use a car where I can manage on public transport or wak. But there are things I do need a car for. Various diy and garden tidying. Moving furniture for the family and camping. The missus has not been taken shopping recently !. Her long Covid makes the car more essential. I have a feeling I am picking up more bugs on the crowded busses.

There is a section of society that try to avoid car use but still have a car for the unavoidable tasks. They don't rush out and buy a car less than 10 years old and they are the people who have been hit by ULEZ. It is the heavy car users who will not consider walking or public transport that are happy to rush out and buy brand new - not me.

I don't tend to get much for my old vehicles by the time I have finished with them. They get well maintained but when something expensive comes up I review it. In the past it has always been tin worm (rust). Since the late 1980s cars have been galvanised which makes a hell of a difference - provided you look after them. I don't go for just any old car. I pick and choose a reliable make and model and balance that with cost of spares. Japanese is usually the most reliable but parts get pricey. My Carlton was lasting very well indeed.

Being careful (er usually) with what I buy does limit the choice. But I have sunk a lot into the Vectra and need to consider whether I write that off.

The amount I use a car I should have taken the ULEZ charge on the chin and stuck with the old faithful - not let ULEZ change my good habits.

Last edited:

stuu

Established Member
Have you tried a car club car? You can hire them by the hour, they start from about £4 an hour - so 250 hours driving for £1000. You can also get vans for things like moving furniture. If you can go three months without a car then it might make more sense to not own one and hire as needed

The Ham

Established Member
Have you tried a car club car? You can hire them by the hour, they start from about £4 an hour - so 250 hours driving for £1000. You can also get vans for things like moving furniture. If you can go three months without a car then it might make more sense to not own one and hire as needed

250 hours is 5 hours a week, that's quite a bit of you only really need a car for odd jobs rather than (say) going to work.

Also £1,000 is what most people spend to keep a car (i.e. but fuel costs and not purchase costs).

A car with MOT and service of £175 and £150 for VED and insurance of £675 is £1,000.

Some, especially in significant urban areas, may well have parking permits which would reduce the budget for insurance. Even if your costs come in lower at (say) £850, the extra (in this example £150) isn't going to buy you much fuel.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
My bold.
Yes. I have been without a working car for three months. Got a backlog of jobs to do. I can get by but not forever. I don't use a car where I can manage on public transport or wak. But there are things I do need a car for. Various diy and garden tidying. Moving furniture for the family and camping. The missus has not been taken shopping recently !. Her long Covid makes the car more essential. I have a feeling I am picking up more bugs on the crowded busses.

There is a section of society that try to avoid car use but still have a car for the unavoidable tasks. They don't rush out and buy a car less than 10 years old and they are the people who have been hit by ULEZ. It is the heavy car users who will not consider walking or public transport that are happy to rush out and buy brand new - not me.

I don't tend to get much for my old vehicles by the time I have finished with them. They get well maintained but when something expensive comes up I review it. In the past it has always been tin worm (rust). Since the late 1980s cars have been galvanised which makes a hell of a difference - provided you look after them. I don't go for just any old car. I pick and choose a reliable make and model and balance that with cost of spares. Japanese is usually the most reliable but parts get pricey. My Carlton was lasting very well indeed.

Being careful (er usually) with what I buy does limit the choice. But I have sunk a lot into the Vectra and need to consider whether I write that off.

The amount I use a car I should have taken the ULEZ charge on the chin and stuck with the old faithful - not let ULEZ change my good habits.
You don't appear to be absorbing my point. You can drive cars without owning them if you only need one for your occasional jobs like carrying bulky items which you're unable to get delivered or collecting things to take to the local household waste centre. If you don't have friends and family in the area who are able to lend you their vehicle for a day or two, you can use short term hires or become a member of a car club with locations nearby. Generally only people who live rurally (few people indeed in Britain today) have no choice but to own a private vehicle. Vehicles for work, like tradespeople, is a bit different.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
When family BR went down to one car I saved a load of cash. I used taxis once or twice a week, and got through shoe leather and umbrellas more quickly, but I was net better off to the tune of sbout £100 a month excluding vehicle depreciation.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Just because I have gone three months without a car does not mean I can. I do need a car and prefer to have one available. In my family I am the one people rely on for moves of larger things. Compare Vectra Estate plus roof bars to Fiat 500.

I know someone who looked at a car club and also zip-car. They found availability was tricky. I have hired a van and considered drop off (left it at the destination) and used coach back. The drop off fee would have made the coach back not worth it except I was staying down there for a while.
You don't appear to be absorbing my point. You can drive cars without owning them if you only need one for your occasional jobs like carrying bulky items which you're unable to get delivered or collecting things to take to the local household waste centre. If you don't have friends and family in the area who are able to lend you their vehicle for a day or two, you can use short term hires or become a member of a car club with locations nearby. Generally only people who live rurally (few people indeed in Britain today) have no choice but to own a private vehicle. Vehicles for work, like tradespeople, is a bit different.
As above.

Car clubs are something to look at but I really want to know I have a car on hand. Convenience. The annual costs of a low value but reliable car were quite good. I am not rural but I do go out of Greater London, granted as often as I can by coach if the coaches go there. That is unless there are enough of us going together to justify the petrol.

I would say I (we) are older now and more inclined to use the car than in the past. Ignoring no longer commuting.

I know I do not use a car much but I prefer to have one on hand.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Car clubs are something to look at but I really want to know I have a car on hand. Convenience. The annual costs of a low value but reliable car were quite good. I am not rural but I do go out of Greater London, granted as often as I can by coach if the coaches go there. That is unless there are enough of us going together to justify the petrol.
Convince always costs more. If you value that convince so highly, I'd recommend you should have bought a more reliable model than an elderly Vectra, and accepted its slightly higher purchase price on the second-hand market as the quid pro quo.
I know I do not use a car much but I prefer to have one on hand.
Nobody's disagreeing with that or trying to take that right away from you - you're quite entitled to it. It's hypocritical to complain about a small increase in costs if that's the case, though.

The average motorist spends £3,500 per year.
Indeed. Changes in the insurance market in the near term are likely to see this rising faster than inflation in the future also. Over the longer term, those holding on to running pure petrol or diesel vehicles will be exposed to the risks of above-inflation rises in motor fuel costs.

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Convince always costs more. If you value that convince so highly, I'd recommend you should have bought a more reliable model than an elderly Vectra, and accepted its slightly higher purchase price on the second-hand market as the quid pro quo.

Nobody's disagreeing with that or trying to take that right away from you - you're quite entitled to it. It's hypocritical to complain about a small increase in costs if that's the case, though.
It all comes down to personal priorities as to what sort of car someone justifies, we can agree t differ there. What has changed is the current (post Cvid I hope) shortage of decent second hand cars near the older end of the market to satisfy the demand created by ULEZ.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It all comes down to personal priorities as to what sort of car someone justifies, we can agree t differ there. What has changed is the current (post Cvid I hope) shortage of decent second hand cars near the older end of the market to satisfy the demand created by ULEZ.
Nobody disagrees with that but the reduction in choice would have partially happened anyway as there are fewer combustion-engine new vehicles produced. Yes there's somewhat less choice and as a result prices are a little higher than before. That doesn't justify holding off on emission control policies however.

Where we can agree strongly is in the need for improved indoor air quality through ventilation and filtration on buses. Currently they generally have nothing whatsoever in winter as other passengers want the windows closed for warmth, quite understandably when the temperatures are so low outside.

jon81uk

Not sure the demand was created by ULEZ, the supply of used cars has been an issue for a few years, partly due to Covid issues in China causing reduced supply of components so fewer new cars meant fewer used cars, also cost of living caused more people to hang onto their car and cars getting more reliable makes people less likely to get rid of them.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Not sure the demand was created by ULEZ, the supply of used cars has been an issue for a few years, partly due to Covid issues in China causing reduced supply of components so fewer new cars meant fewer used cars, also cost of living caused more people to hang onto their car and cars getting more reliable makes people less likely to get rid of them.
For those who only want combustion engine-powered, the second hand market is only going to shrink further in the coming decades too, as a smaller proportion of new sales have combustion engines.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Those are all supply issues. Demand increase was only really ULEZ.

Nobody disagrees with that but the reduction in choice would have partially happened anyway as there are fewer combustion-engine new vehicles produced. Yes there's somewhat less choice and as a result prices are a little higher than before. That doesn't justify holding off on emission control policies however.

Where we can agree strongly is in the need for improved indoor air quality through ventilation and filtration on buses. Currently they generally have nothing whatsoever in winter as other passengers want the windows closed for warmth, quite understandably when the temperatures are so low outside.
Gosh you are right about busses.

I did also notice in summer that our air conditioned busses (n certain routes) had the windows open !. There is a problem with people who do not let the air conditioning work by letting the cooled air out in summer. Of course the flip side is a desire by some passengers to get more fresh air in and as you say this can get painful in winter. Generally I find most people do not open or close the windows but there a few who will open/close all the windows on at least half the upper deck.

The rate of air change needs to be pretty dramatic and it needs passengers to understand that - if it is working. Or we go the sealed up windows route ala newer trains - and all the debate over not being able to open the window.

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Okay yes, but it is supply causing more of the issues around availability of used cars than demand.
I cannot be sure but a proportion of London having to replace cars certainly did not help. I know of two people recently who wish they had hung on to their old cars.

MasterSpenny

alex397

Established Member
Also reported on KentOnline.

Police have launched an investigation after footage surfaced online appearing to show a ULEZ camera exploding in a street.

The “massive blast” was captured on CCTV outside a home in Willersley Avenue, Sidcup, while another clip posted to social media showed the aftermath.

It happened last night shortly before 7pm.

One clip shows a dented van, broken fence panels and a larged chunk taken out of a brick wall.

The man who filmed it described how there was “shrapnel everywhere”.

Speaking over a video posted online, he said “"Ulez camera's been dismantled, blown the geezer's van in half.

"Broke the geezer's fence. It's like a World War Two explosion's just gone off.”

One onlooker said: “It’s shocking. There was a lady in the car at the time that was damaged when it exploded.

“I don’t agree with chopping the cameras down at all - it’s criminal damage and dangerous.

“The smell was really strong too afterwards.”

Meanwhile, another person added: “ULEZ camera’s electrical box explodes in Sidcup.

“A massive blast which has damaged vehicles and property.

“Mayor of London – come and have a selfie.”

Police and fire crews were called to the incident and were seen attending to a transit van that had been damaged by the explosion.

No one was injured, no arrests have been made and enquiries are ongoing.

Anyone with information which could assist with the police investigation are being urged to call 101, quoting CAD 5819/06DEC.

The controversial ULEZ scheme expanded across all of London's boroughs – up to the border with Kent – on August 29.

Now, anyone driving within any of the zones in which it is operational with a non-compliant car will have to pay a daily charge of £12.50

ULEZ cameras have been subject to several vandalism attempts.

Opponents of the ULEZ expansion have started targeting a fleet of camera vans attempting to enforce the rules.

In September, one of the camera vans being used to enforce the charging regime was targeted in Maiden Lane, Crayford.

The comments under the article are to be expected from such a website. Extreme comments about Sadiq Khan, some that are borderline racist, and one calling for his death (though some comments have since been removed, thankfully)

I find the extreme comments about Khan just bizarre and disturbing (the comments on that article above are quite mild compared to what I see elsewhere). I suspect I know the real reason Khan gets more abusive comments that the average politician.
ULEZ is a scheme started by a Tory, and was made to be extended by the Tories. And yet Khan is depicted as worse than Satan, compared to excrement, and with comments from people wanting him to be hurt or killed. Just for a scheme that will reduce pollution. And it’s not even as strict as I think it should be. And only affects a minority of people. Even my 20 year old Nissan is ULEZ exempt.

Last edited:

The Ham

Established Member
Also reported on KentOnline.

The comments under the article are to be expected from such a website. Extreme comments about Sadiq Khan, some that are borderline racist, and one calling for his death.

I find the extreme comments about Khan just bizarre and disturbing (the comments on that article above are quite mild compared to what I see elsewhere). I suspect I know the real reason Khan gets more abusive comments that the average politician.
ULEZ is a scheme started by a Tory, and was made to be extended by the Tories. And yet Khan is depicted as worse than Satan, compared to excrement, and with comments from people wanting him to be hurt or killed. Just for a scheme that will reduce pollution. And it’s not even as strict as I think it should be. And only affects a minority of people. Even my 20 year old Nissan is ULEZ exempt.

The problem is that you are looking at it in as rational way, that's no way to behave politically these days!!!!

Energy

Established Member
How is ULEZ a 112% “tax” rate on an asset?
I'm not sure either, ULEZ can't be a percentage as it doesn't matter what value your car is. I guess it's a 112% tax if your car is worth about £10 :lol: .

talldave

Established Member
Good. Encourages people to get rid sooner. We can't keep spewing poisonous fumes into the air we breathe, it's absolutely ludicrous.
I've always found diesel exhaust fumes to be particularly offensive and physically irritating. I never understood why small diesel engined vehicles were promoted in the first place, they should have been banned decades ago. The sooner we can walk around towns and cities without breathing all that rubbish, the better.

But it's not just about the economic or carbon cost of the vehicle, it's also about not breathing carcinogens and other nasty stuff.
It was central government taxation policy that pushed diesels to the fore, sadly before the politicians knew anything about the pollutants and poisons that they were promoting. I've always kept my diesel immaculately serviced with genuine manufacturer parts and with a journey pattern that allows for regular DPF regens. At its last MOT the tester ran the emissions test 3 times and got zero on all measurements. And, yes, I know that the MOT doesn't measure everything but it's as clean as it can be for the remainder of its life. And yet up until a few weeks ago, I was choking in fumes belching from one of Mr Khan's clapped out buses on the 450 route that was obviously not subject to any ULEZ charges at all. The man is a hypocrite.

So ULEZ makes the cost of running the car to silly levels, which prompts you to get shot of it and run something compliant. The policy works.
But we already have a central government policy for eliminating the most polluting vehicles out of the system. Adding in an additional layer of self-interested career politicians jockeying for pats on the back for introducing a multiplicity of similar but not quite identical ULEZ zones all over the country is just an uncontrolled mess.

It might even be that ULEZs stop being a thing, because almost all cars on the road by then comply anyway. Though I'd expect ZEZs to then spread, requiring EVs (or hydrogen for those who absolutely must) only.
ULEZs might stop being a thing if they were about air-quality, but they're not. They're about Pay Per Mile charging. But why can't politicians be honest about this, rather than the general public having to trawl through the minutiae of TfL documents to find the truth? Mr Khan stated that 95% of cars were compliant (probably a lie, because everything that comes out of his mouth regarding ULEZ is a lie), which means no rational logic on earth could explain the need to install hundreds of millions of pounds worth of cameras to "catch" an ever decreasing small number of polluting vehicles. And a category of vehicles that is in decline thanks to central government policy.

How is ULEZ a 112% “tax” rate on an asset?
Asset value £4000, annual ULEZ "tax" £4550. Apologies my mental arithmetic was a bit out, a quick calculator check reveals it's actually 113.75%.

Pay per mile (or something to replicate it, for example urban zone charging) is likely to happen across the country in time.

If for no other reason than there's going to be a target large hole in tax receipts from the loss of fuel duty.
Indeed this is the case. But it might have been sensible to map this out in advance of the transition and handle it through changes to VED. Money from a multiplicity of local schemes goes to the relevant "Transport for - London/Manchester/Birmingham/Glasgow/etc" and not central government.

EV owners are going to suffer the same pain as diesel owners eventually - find themselves pushed by incentives to follow the government's lead, whilst later getting hammered when the goverment moves the goalposts for a completely different reason. Diesels were promoted for better fuel economy then hammered on pollution. EVs were promoted on pollution and will be hammered because UK Plc needs more income due to drivers inconsiderately decimating the government's income by moving away from ICE cars. Oh, hang on....that was because of the government??......

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
ULEZs might stop being a thing if they were about air-quality, but they're not. They're about Pay Per Mile charging.

They're clearly not, because:

1. They don't charge per mile;
2. They don't charge the vast majority of drivers;
3. The systems are not capable of charging per mile.

Paying per mile, commonly known as road pricing, is a near certainty on a national basis to replace fuel tax once EVs are the norm - the alternative is swingeing increases to another tax, e.g. VAT or income tax to something like 30% (I've not properly worked it out, but it is that sort of magnitude). But to suggest that's what ULEZ is for is nonsense.

EV owners are going to suffer the same pain as diesel owners eventually - find themselves pushed by incentives to follow the government's lead, whilst later getting hammered when the goverment moves the goalposts for a completely different reason. Diesels were promoted for better fuel economy then hammered on pollution. EVs were promoted on pollution and will be hammered because UK Plc needs more income due to drivers inconsiderately decimating the government's income by moving away from ICE cars. Oh, hang on....that was because of the government??......

Of course this will happen and nobody's saying it won't - even most EV users know they are at present making hay while the sun shines, as it were. Why would you see it as some sort of conspiracy? I guess you see taxation as a whole as a conspiracy rather than the means of funding shared resources in a civilised society? If you want an end to fuel tax what cuts are you accepting of to fund that? We could for instance close the entire railway?