• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unique Suffixes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bedpan

Established Member
Bescot Stadium would fail in any case because of Gateshead Stadium and Wembley Stadium.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What about Manchester United FC Halt; to my knowledge there are no more railway stations with the suffix "Halt" any more.

When I was in Scotland a few years ago I seem to remember road signs for "Dalgety Bay Halt," but I think officially it is just known as "Dalgety Bay."

EM2

Established Member
What about Manchester United FC Halt; to my knowledge there are no more railway stations with the suffix "Halt" any more.

When I was in Scotland a few years ago I seem to remember road signs for "Dalgety Bay Halt," but I think officially it is just known as "Dalgety Bay."

Hoo Junction Staff Halt?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was aware of Hoo Junction, but as it's not a public station in the sense it's not advertised anywhere (unlike Lympstone Commando) then surely it can't count.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Another one not used any more, but Yarmouth Vauxhall (still the name of the signal box). There was also Yarmouth South Town and Yarmouth Beach. Cromer station was also formerly Cromer Beach, despite not being that close to the beach. It's former twin was Cromer High.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In my defence; Coombe Junction Halt and St Keyne Wishing Well Halt as they are (with suffixes) were only added by FGW in 2008 (after being removed by BR 30+ years ago) although since they do appear in the NR TT I suppose it's safe to say that they do now officially exist.

jayjay

Blackpool PB is a tricky one. Prior to somewhere around 2007, that was the park's name, but it's since been renamed "Pleasure Beach Blackpool," just to confuse everyone.

Ibex

The way I see it is regardless of what the park is called, there are no other NR stations in the UK with the suffix 'Pleasure Beach'.

Ivo

Established Member
Blackpool PB is a tricky one. Prior to somewhere around 2007, that was the park's name, but it's since been renamed "Pleasure Beach Blackpool," just to confuse everyone.

Oh, yes, a great idea. I can imagine Phil Sayer announcing that one...

"Blackpool, Pleasure Beach, Blackpool; this is Blackpool, Pleasure Beach, Blackpool."

...What, did Blackpool PB move to Dublin, or something? :D

D6975

Established Member
...What, did Blackpool PB move to Dublin, or something? :D

That leads to Irish stations....
a real poser there, so many stations have suffixes that aren't in the timetable, but are used by staff.

Limerick is even stranger, as it is often referred to as Limerick Colbert, but on the Cork services 'change at Limerick Junction for Limerick City' is the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.