• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

University 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie_Rail

Anybody here starting Uni this year? I am starting Uni for the first time this year at La Trobe University in Bundoora, Melbourne. I'm doing a degree in Archeology. I will see if I can do one semester there and try and complete the rest of the degree at a Uni in the UK.

Is any else doing a uni course this year?

AR

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lesjordans

Have a conditional for Biomedical Sci at Strathclyde but thats only if I dont get my grades for Dentistry :(

Pumbaa

Established Member
I'm hopefully going back as a mature student. My profession is in severe lack of demand, and although I already have a degree, I don't want to enter that career path!

So back to Liverpool!

Bayum

Established Member
Leeds Met and Leeds Met =)

Public Health and Complementary Therapies, and I'm waiting to hear for Speech Therapy too, and Transport Management and Planning at Sheffield Hallam

anthony263

Established Member
I am already at Swansea metropolitan university, studying Transport management, i am in my second year and hopefully if i get the right grades this year i will be continuing into the 3rd year in september.

Established Member
Applied for entry in 2010, got 4 conditionals, just waiting on Stirling. All environmental science or very similar courses.

I applied for the environmental science course at Dundee, and between applying and gettting the letter from UCAS, the course had been cancelled :lol:

Phoenix

Established Member
Yeah im at Derby University studying Geology (cause it rocks) but yeah I started in September.

me123

Established Member
Have a conditional for Biomedical Sci at Strathclyde but thats only if I dont get my grades for Dentistry :(

Good luck with dentistry! At least you've got the biomed, though :)

I applied for the environmental science course at Dundee, and between applying and gettting the letter from UCAS, the course had been cancelled :lol:

Oh dear! Did they let you have another choice?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm at Aston doing Transport Management, started in Sept '08 after having a year out.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I worked Sept - August and saved a bit of money, didn't go anywhere though.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm currently undecided between Geography at the London School of Economics and Town Planning & Urban Studies at University of Sheffield. Also had offers from Leeds and Newcastle!

Pumbaa

Established Member
If you have an offer from LSE for Geog, that's a brilliant achievement. Over both, I'd choose Geog, as you can move into Town and Urban Studies with a Geog degree, whilst still having lots of other options open to you with a Geog degree in the first place.

me123

Established Member
I'll hopefully be starting my second year in September; Medicine.

I have to say, the toughest thing so far is that I'm only 17 and can't go out anywhere :( There's a lot to be said about waiting 'till your 18.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd say as well that there's a lot of great things you can do afterwards. I'd have much rather gone into Planning, although some is part of this degree there are also postgraduate courses that you can do after if you think you'd find a certain area interesting.

AlexS

Established Member
I did go to uni but left when it didn't really suit me very much.

Did Transport Management at Loughborough.

I now work for the NHS but should shortly be moving to the department for work and pensions.

Bit of an odd career change!

Established Member
I think there must be an error in one of my conditional offers, because it says one of the things required is that I pass A level geography. My immediate thought on reading this being "I don't do A level geography!" :lol:

Tom B

Established Member
Is the UCAS website still as naff as ever? I seem to remember being infuriated with it on a frequent basis.

It could be worse, you could have to pass General Studies!

Established Member
Is the UCAS website still as naff as ever? I seem to remember being infuriated with it on a frequent basis.

I've yet to get it properly worked out, I have to use the search every time i want to find anything because it's impossible to find what you want on it.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What sort of stuff do you learn in Transport Management?

At my Uni (Aston) this year I've done/am doing:
  • Introduction to Logistics
  • International Logistics
  • Development (History) & Regulation of Transport
  • Contract Law
  • Transport Planning
  • Economics
  • Financial Accounting
  • Marketing
  • Introduction to Management
Also got a 5,200 word report on a transport subject of your choice, and also got a small number of tutorials not related to the course, for those who need help with presentation skills and IT.

bluenoxid

Established Member
I'm currently undecided between Geography at the London School of Economics and Town Planning & Urban Studies at University of Sheffield. Also had offers from Leeds and Newcastle!

Town Planners at Newcastle <( Hardly seem to do any work. I spent my second year getting screwed on my course. The second year town planner I know, got a THREE week break because they had no exams. And he didn't get that shafted with coursework if he spent more time than me managing the Courier Photography.

I'm not going to university this year, however I am going to college.
I will be doing, depending on grades: English Lit and Lang, Law, and Psychology. I am also thinking of doing Business.

Then I will be going to University to study either English (depends on grade) or Law.

Status
Not open for further replies.