• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unreserved carriages

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesS

I will be visiting the Manchester area in late May/early June and intend to use a Rover during my stay. My question is; are there any standard unreserved carriages in Virgin WC of Cross Country trains. If so what are the usual car numbers.

I expect to be travelling in several different directions on different days and do not want to be stuck travelling on Northern trains exclusively.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Virgin West Coast carriages F and U on 390s are unreserved; not sure about 221s. XC - don't know, sorry.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I will be visiting the Manchester area in late May/early June and intend to use a Rover during my stay. My question is; are there any standard unreserved carriages in Virgin WC of Cross Country trains. If so what are the usual car numbers.

I expect to be travelling in several different directions on different days and do not want to be stuck travelling on Northern trains exclusively.
On Cross-country, the only true unreserved coach is B, which is found on 5 car Class 221 sets.

On Virgin, there should always be an unreserved coach F, and on 11 coach sets, there is also a coach U which is unreserved.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

Depending on the length of a Virgin West Coast Train which are normally 9 or 11 carriages, one or two of the centre coaches are usually marked as non reserved, I think the carriage is number U. As the Virgin service from Manchester is quite frequent, there are probably some unreserved seats elsewhere in the train, just look at the little electronic display signs above the seats. Not sure about cross country trains, they are normally shorter 3/4/5 carriages unless you are lucky enough to get an HST (High Speed Train - Inter City 125),

Established Member
Not sure about cross country trains, they are normally shorter 3/4/5 carriages unless you are lucky enough to get an HST (High Speed Train - Inter City 125),

Coach B is unreserved on 5 car 221s only. You won't get any HSTs near Manchester. XC services at Manchester will be 4 or 5 car.

Status
Not open for further replies.