• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unsuitable Rolling Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

notadriver

Established Member
The 378s have a lack of seats, they should have done them as a 2+2
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I agree, but I have seen some 317s do routes normally done by 315s on the West Anglian Lines and they seem fine, plus they were much better then those 315s

I agree too. When I lived in London I remember the 317s accelerating better above 30 mph than a 315. Maybe O L Leigh can tell us more?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
I agree too. When I lived in London I remember the 317s accelerating better above 30 mph than a 315. Maybe O L Leigh can tell us more?

i expect it's probably to do with gearing; stock designed for inner suburban work will need faster acceleration but 75 mph (is it?) maximum speed will be enough, while the 317s were designed for main line work with fewer stops and 100 mph maximum Speed.

LE Greys

Established Member
i expect it's probably to do with gearing; stock designed for inner suburban work will need faster acceleration but 75 mph (is it?) maximum speed will be enough, while the 317s were designed for main line work with fewer stops and 100 mph maximum Speed.

Better adhesion because of more powered wheels as well, I believe. I'm not entirely sure, but I think 315s have eight powered axles whereas 317s have four. Once they get into their stride though, higher gearing and extra horsepower count for a lot.

Flywaver

I've driven both 315 and 317. 315 are better off the mark to around 30-40mph and having DMS (motors in leading vehicles) is handy in poor adhesion. 317s are a complete nightmare in the wet getting traction but i last drove them 8 years ago and maybe Sanders have improved things. Once I managed 15mph Walthamstow to Wood Street in the drizzle... When i moved to driving DMUs it was much better because of more Power notches.Although 158s are crap at stopping in poor adhesion compared to 170s..

notadriver

Established Member
Very interesting. 313s didn't have sand when I tried one a year and a half ago but the motors could be sub-notched. Is that the same with 317s? (313s and 315s have the same motors I believe)

transmanche

Established Member
Alesbury - Watford Junction (Post Croxley Rail Link) although 508s or 313s might be better for that, since it is DC Electrified.

Better than LU 'S' Stock or Cl 378s that wouldn't burn Diesel between Alyesbury and Watford?
Well, the line is electrified on 4th rail as far as Amersham, but there's no electrification between Amersham and Aylesbury.

slick

As a WA Driver also I can tell you that you are correct. If you have a 315 and a 317 all motors cut in, equal health, the 315 will be quicker up to 40mph but will then fade off up to 75, a 317 will take longer to get to 40 but going through the 40 to 60 range it will continue to accelerate well, and leave any 315 behind.

Regarding some comments about 315s and 317s not being able to do each others workings and lost time, this is not so...I frequently drive 317s on inner suburban workings to places like chingford, enfield and loose no time at all. On the flipside Ive driven 315s on airports and arrived 4mins early and been ontime throughout. Its more to do with the specific diagram timings, most make no difference whichever unit your in. The only time a 317 will suffer drastically time wise is if the rails become contaminated, in which case my finger goes numb from holding in the sander button. :rolleyes:

AlanFry1

I have been on both 317s and 315s and I can say that the 317s are much better that the 315s, I feel that GA should order more 379s so that the 315s can be withdrawn and also GA should bring back the 317/7s that they removed

Status
Not open for further replies.