• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Urban Exploration

Status
Not open for further replies.

D2022

What is peoples opinions on the subject, I am very interested in outsiders views on the matter. Good or bad I would love to hear them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Personally, I think it's fantastic and 28DaysLater is one of the most interesting forums to browse on the internet. It's not something I could see myself doing though.

telstarbox

Established Member
If people sneak/break into long-abandoned buildings to have a look around and take a few pictures I can't see the harm although the law might see it differently.

The photos on 28DL are fascinating, particularly the old mental asylums. It's something I'd like to try myself but I'd be nervous about falling through a rotting floor and breaking my leg or similar!

D2022

If people sneak/break into long-abandoned buildings to have a look around and take a few pictures I can't see the harm although the law might see it differently.

The photos on 28DL are fascinating, particularly the old mental asylums. It's something I'd like to try myself but I'd be nervous about falling through a rotting floor and breaking my leg or similar!

I myself am a member of 28dayslater and love it.

The law is a sort of grey area, technically the law isnt on our side in general just from the point of view we are somewhere we shouldn't really be, that said if you follow the guidelines and commonsene the police can't really touch you. I've been accused of all sorts, ranging from breaking and entering, tresspass, vagrancy (god knows why and how they would prosecute that one given I'm not a vagrant!), breach of the peace etc...but generally when you explain what your actually doing, mainly photographing, the police tend to back off as you actually haven't commited an offence. It varies from site to site and circumstances. But generally if you co-operate the police leave you well enough alone and even let you carry on in some cases.

Its just a case of being versed in the relevant laws for the site your exploring. Or just not get caught;)

2Dogbox

I am fascinated by this and I am a "lurker" on 28 days later and Derelict Places. I have had a fascination with this sort of stuff since I was a kid, inspired by disused railways and stations. However I see myself as a bit of an observer rather than 'doing it'. I'd like to have a go at it but don't know anyone who I know who'd be up for it.

I started looking at 28 days later when a colleague of mine said there were loads of reports on the old tunnels that ran under the Rover factory in Longbridge Birmingham. I lived right opposite the car factory so had a always wondered about the tunnels, and some of the reports on these were fantastic.

Round here a lot of people so the Sleaford Maltings and Nocton hospitals, but they are in a bad way now. I love looking at reports of places where stuff has been left in situ, like old papers/food packaging/photographs of people. It's creepy but fascinating. Maybe I also find this stuff interesting as an like social and industrial history.

Oh and abandoned theme parks are good too :)

deltic1989

Established Member
I too am a lurker on 28DL I like to go and look over old military sites. Being born and bread in Lincolnshire this is mostly RAF and ROC sites. 28DL is great for information on what is there to see and photograph and I use it for research before I venture out to take a look.
With my exploring my prior research always includes an attempt to contact the land owner to seek permission, this approach can also lead to further interesting information. A couple of examples of this were at St Johns Asylum near Lincoln where I was put in contact with a security guard who gave me a guided tour. And RAF Coleby Grange where a knock on the farmhouse door was appreciated and yeilded an iviteation to afternoon tea where I was told some facinating stories and shown some lovely photos of the base when it was active. Goes to show how getting permission can lead to more than you set out for.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I too have had sight of one particular website and it was only by a recommendation that I did so, with regard to the former railway museum at Dinting. From what I hear, there are no half-measures between those for and those against such activities, notwithstanding any legalistic views expressed.

D2022

I too have had sight of one particular website and it was only by a recommendation that I did so, with regard to the former railway museum at Dinting. From what I hear, there are no half-measures between those for and those against such activities, notwithstanding any legalistic views expressed.

If you enjoy railway sites check out this place.....

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums...orks-Summer-2011-amp-2012?highlight=wolverton

This ones a bit better ;)

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums...Wolverton-Carriage-Works-Wolverton-March-2010

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

I think that this link has been used in the past on RailforumsUK when the matter of the suitability...or not...of Manchester Mayfield station for a renewed lease of railway life was the source of much heated discussion on the matter..
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Thank you for these links..and indeed for launching this thread. As I said in my earlier posting, it was strictly the matter of the former Dinting railway museum that caused me to access that particular website.

Last edited:

D2022

I think that this link has been used in the past on RailforumsUK when the matter of the suitability...or not...of Manchester Mayfield station for a renewed lease of railway life.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Thank you for these links..and indeed for launching this thread. As I said in my earlier posting, it was strictly the matter of the former Dinting railway museum that caused me to access that particular website.

The information and pictures, regardless of how legal they were to obtain, are inspiring and informative. I will have a look for the Dinting post :)

Temple Meads

Established Member
A very interesting thread/subject, I'm also a lurker on 28DL and other similar sites, the whole urban exploration thing fascinates me, but I've never done much actual exploration myself.

Pacerpilot

Quite partial to a spot of urbex myself. Usually confined to tunnels and mines.
This is not me or anyone I know and it's definitely not in a tunnel under Yorkshire. At all.

225174_10150263859470470_666725469_9149307_2174426_n.jpg

Yew

Established Member
Quite partial to a spot of urbex myself. Usually confined to tunnels and mines.
This is not me or anyone I know and it's definitely not in a tunnel under Yorkshire. At all.

Box Tunnel? Looking for the strategic steam reserve? :D

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I wish more of these places were opened now and then by their owners for legal exploring.

It is also sad to see some great feats of engineering left to decay, especially given how short we are on land and buildings (down south at least). Very interesting websites however

Status
Not open for further replies.