• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

US Election 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

332 > 444

Well, i for one am glad that its back to a Democrat Congress and that history has been made with Obama being the first black president, if it went the other way and Mrs Clinton ended up running, i still would've wanted her to win.

You never know; Obama's supporters could be complacent and not turn out because "he's going to win anyway" and they themselves could push McCain into presidency.

Glad that didnt happen as thats what happened in the last election, most of the ethnic minority in the US i would say are Democrat supporters and did'nt turn out as much as this year. Glad us black folk have stepped up (as we get complacent easily) and got out of that mentality!

Good luck to him, Gordon Brown has a new person to bred.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Metroland

Established Member
LOL I think a party is perhaps the new way of doing it, students used to strike and riot in the 60s aka Grosvenor Square and Paris in 1968. Doesn't seem to happen very much these days, I remember my 6th form teacher accusing us of being the beaten generation in the late 80s/early 90s.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well I am a Conservative so striking isn't my thing ;)

djw1981

Established Member
Well, let's be glad it's not McCain and Sarah Shambles Palin.

You maybe glad,but not everyone will be. Politics and society only works when there is a spectrum of opinion. Your 'Let us be glad' implies that we all share you opinions. Which we may or may not do. I'm just playing pedant here <D:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well, i for one am glad that its back to a Democrat Congress and that history has been made with Obama being the first black president, if it went the other way and Mrs Clinton ended up running, i still would've wanted her to win.

However you ahve removed some of the checks and balances functions, which may allow Obama's policies an easier ride in the Senate and House, but.... thankfully the Americans have some long term politicial operators who know they will never be President who play awkward and critique their own party as much as the other. A President must be seen to not only implement his mandate, but also work with the wider representatives of the people to implement their mandate for the country.

me123

Established Member
You maybe glad,but not everyone will be. Politics and society only works when there is a spectrum of opinion. Your 'Let us be glad' implies that we all share you opinions. Which we may or may not do. I'm just playing pedant here <D:D

It's not McCain that worried me; I personally wanted Obama but I wouldn't have minded McCain as much. It's Palin that scared me. McCain was relatively likely to die in his first term. Then it's Palin's shot. That's what worried me!

And to prove my point look on Youtube. The Katie Couric interview in particular is worrying.

me123

Established Member
To be fair, she was nice and I liked her attitude and the way she talked (well, on camera anyway...). She was accessible to the general public and, unlike Obama, McCain, Bush, Biden, both Clintons... she seems approachable. But someone who doesn't know that Africa is a continent really shouldn't be in charge of Alaska, never mind the US of A.

mrcheek

Established Member
To be fair, she was nice and I liked her attitude and the way she talked (well, on camera anyway...). She was accessible to the general public and, unlike Obama, McCain, Bush, Biden, both Clintons... she seems approachable. But someone who doesn't know that Africa is a continent really shouldn't be in charge of Alaska, never mind the US of A.

Africa is a long way away, so its no surprise that somebody might not know all about it.
After all, Obama doesnt even know how many states there are in his own country! (its 50!)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws

me123

Established Member
Woah! The Africa one is pretty bad, but that's just as bad! If I'd heard that one beforehand, I wouldn't have been so quick to moan at Palin.

It seems to have been that he meant to say 47, and said the "fifty-" bit before thinking, but in this game, there's no excuses. (In fact, 47 would be correct). Could also be a slip of the tongue, but pretty bad whatever way you look at it.

Not knowing that Africa is a continent is still pretty dumb for someone who would have to work with African nations; and it'd be much easier if you know that there was more than one!

mrcheek

Established Member
What are your credentials?

many many years of studying and reading about the subject. i had Obama (and years earlier, one George W Bush) labelled as a future President before you had even heard of him!

djw1981

Established Member
It's not McCain that worried me; I personally wanted Obama but I wouldn't have minded McCain as much. It's Palin that scared me. McCain was relatively likely to die in his first term. Then it's Palin's shot. That's what worried me!

So is Obama...a mixedrace man in the white house will upset the extremists of both colour groupings, especially if his 'african american' support feel he oes native or lets them down. I predict an assasination attempt within 4 years.

TheSlash

Established Member
Everybody is talking about assassinations already! I see they have already foiled two plots to pop him off. :roll::lol:

djw1981

Established Member
McCain's wouldn;t have been natural causes....it would have been anotehr Palin plot :) just like the illegal attempt to have her brotehr in law fired, then firing the man who wouldn't fire him......

Status
Not open for further replies.