• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VHS to DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJD200

Hello

I'm looking into getting a machine to convert my VHS tapes to DVD, but a quick search has shown me a couple of software packages that do it through a PC.

Does anyone know about this method of conversion, and can recommend a good one (easy to use)?

Thank you,

DJ

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
I don't think there is much you'd be able to do from a hardware perspective - I am trying to envision how you'd get it from the VHS into a digital format.

What outputs do you have on your VHS player and do you have any DVD/HDD recording facilities?

edit: For example I had a DVD recorder - nominally to record off the TV but because it had scart and RCA input I could use the video as SCART-In and record from the start in

Last edited:

DJD200

You can buy a VHS to DVD recorder, as an all in one machine. This I was looking into getting (your DVD example is an option though).

I have standard VHS machines but not sure about outputs except they do have Scart (away from home at moment) but do know you can get leads to connect VHS recorder to PC which would be required for the software.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What inputs do you have on the PC?

If the answer is that you don't have a video input then you will need to get some suitable hardware that does.

swj99

You could try something like this.

$(KGrHqZ,!oIFHc5hGMvoBR49KSzKg!~~60_35.JPG

I've got one somewhere that I bought a few years ago, but it wasn't very good when I tried to copy from a DVD player onto the pc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-t...er-Cable-/330700989659?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Or depending on how much video you've got, there are places that will convert it from video tape to AVI, MPEG etc.

I think the problem with capture devices like that one above is that if the computer is trying to record in real time, like what would happen if you were for example capturing from a camcorder, a USB connection is not a fast enough data transfer medium, which is why old Mini DV camcorders (I'm talking about the ones with tapes in them) only transfer to the computer properly when connected with Firewire which is fast enough for the job.

Last edited:

DJD200

Thanks for all your help guys. Being a technophobe I'm a little confused, and will try to reply to all best I can.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What inputs do you have on the PC?

If the answer is that you don't have a video input then you will need to get some suitable hardware that does.[/QUOT

There is only one socket on my laptop, it has 15 plugs but I'm thinking it could be for an external monitor/video out. Sorry I can't figure out how to post a pic.
You could try something like this.

$(KGrHqZ,!oIFHc5hGMvoBR49KSzKg!~~60_35.JPG

I've got one somewhere that I bought a few years ago, but it wasn't very good when I tried to copy from a DVD player onto the pc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-t...er-Cable-/330700989659?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Or depending on how much video you've got, there are places that will convert it from video tape to AVI, MPEG etc.

I think the problem with capture devices like that one above is that if the computer is trying to record in real time, like what would happen if you were for example capturing from a camcorder, a USB connection is not a fast enough data transfer medium, which is why old Mini DV camcorders (I'm talking about the ones with tapes in them) only transfer to the computer properly when connected with Firewire which is fast enough for the job.

I think this could be the way to go, cos its USB, proving all the plugs will go into my VCR. I have seen places that do it for you but I have over 100 tapes so would even be more cost effective to get a VHS - DVD recorder than go down that route! I'm not too bothered about the real time thing unless that's a must.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EZCAP-TV-11...id=1391329500&sr=8-2&keywords=analogue+to+dvd

Also comes with software.

If you have a DV tape camcorder then import with FREE software WINDV.

Can't see how I can link this to the laptop, even with the adaptor and leads.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
For what it's worth.....

I don't think I would use a PC-based solution for that volume of material. The reason is that, whilst capturing, your PC ought not to be doing anything else (ideally). So, for each tape, it's going to be up to three hours of just letting it get on with it while you .... do something else that doesn't involve using the PC.

I had the same task - now completed - with hundreds of tapes and other analogue source material.

I bought and used a standalone table-top DVD-HDD recorder, connected to whatever separate playback device was needed (eg a VHS machine). As these devices are dedicated to the task, they capture pretty much flawlessly - whereas a computer may "glitch" if it randomly decides to - oh, I dunno - go get Windows Updates or whatever.

So you can safely leave them unattended as they make their recording, while you use your computer for something else.

The something else might include more sophisticated editing or disc mastering than the recorder provides - depending on your source and wants. Thus you can safely be doing two things at once. It's pretty easy to get content out of a HDD recorder and into a PC for more sophisticated editing or processing if needed.

Or if the content is simple, just use the recorder to create a DVD disc from its HDD contents.

One caveat to all of this: some commercial tapes have a copy protection signal ("Macrovision" - google it) hidden within them; table-top recorders will refuse to record such material.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I bought a single unit Samsung VHS and DVD player/recorder several years ago. As Harpers Tate has found, it simply transfers from one medium to the other at the press of a button - no connection to a PC is necessary.

That was a model V5500 which is no longer available. There is now a range of newer models with numbers including DVD-VR325 and DVD-VR375.

DJD200

For what it's worth.....

I don't think I would use a PC-based solution for that volume of material. The reason is that, whilst capturing, your PC ought not to be doing anything else (ideally). So, for each tape, it's going to be up to three hours of just letting it get on with it while you .... do something else that doesn't involve using the PC.

I had the same task - now completed - with hundreds of tapes and other analogue source material.

I bought and used a standalone table-top DVD-HDD recorder, connected to whatever separate playback device was needed (eg a VHS machine). As these devices are dedicated to the task, they capture pretty much flawlessly - whereas a computer may "glitch" if it randomly decides to - oh, I dunno - go get Windows Updates or whatever.

So you can safely leave them unattended as they make their recording, while you use your computer for something else.

The something else might include more sophisticated editing or disc mastering than the recorder provides - depending on your source and wants. Thus you can safely be doing two things at once. It's pretty easy to get content out of a HDD recorder and into a PC for more sophisticated editing or processing if needed.

Or if the content is simple, just use the recorder to create a DVD disc from its HDD contents.

One caveat to all of this: some commercial tapes have a copy protection signal ("Macrovision" - google it) hidden within them; table-top recorders will refuse to record such material.

Thank you, very useful. I'll look into it. I won't be copying original videotapes, but will need to edit things like ad breaks and segments I don't want, will a machine like that do this?
I bought a single unit Samsung VHS and DVD player/recorder several years ago. As Harpers Tate has found, it simply transfers from one medium to the other at the press of a button - no connection to a PC is necessary.

That was a model V5500 which is no longer available. There is now a range of newer models with numbers including DVD-VR325 and DVD-VR375.

Thanks Dave, think I saw some like this on E-bay actually but not sure whether to buy something like that online.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
...need to edit things like ad breaks and segments I don't want, will a machine like that do this....
Yes. But usually not wholly seamlessly. Playback usually involves a brief pause, at the edit point. (Like a layer change, if you know what that's like).

So the basic process is - record it, tape by tape (unattended) onto the box's Hard Drive. Edit the recording whilst on the Hard Drive. Then copy the end result to a DVD. The precise details of this process will vary from machine to machine. But in general, this last step is done "high speed" - takes only around 15 minutes and does not degrade the result (digital copy).

Then make a second copy onto another disc or other medium (for backup).

If you want seamless editing then the edit will need to be done on a PC. But even so, doing the initial capture on a table-top box is still my preferred approach for the reasons already stated.

And as a recap - if you already have a good, working VHS machine, then I suggest you don't need to go and buy another, and that includes a combo box. You only need a DVD recorder (with a Hard Drive) and some cables. Given that (presumably) once your task is completed, your VHS component will become redundant, any expenditure on new VHS capability is wasted in the long term. Whereas the DVD recorder will continue to serve, eg for recording TV programmes etc going forwards. Now of course if your VHS is already dead or dying, then it's a different matter.

You can get the unedited data off the box's hard drive, into a PC, edit it and create a disc, all without any further encoding (so, quickly and without degradation) if you use the right methods and software. Again, precise method will vary by machine.

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
If using an old or a well-used VHS machine for the once-in-a-lifetime transfer of cherished material to a digital medium, I would advise cleaning the heads first. It's not a task for the inexperienced, but it might even be worth taking it to someone who would do it for you. I'd guess that most of us live near to a sound recording studio or video production people who will know who can clean and service tape machines.

That procedure can improve the quality of the recovered images and also reduce the wear on the old tapes; magnetic tape does decay over time.

Last edited:

starrymarkb

Established Member
Might also be worth checking to see if there are any cheap DVD boxsets available if it's Broadcast TV/Films.

Railsigns

Established Member
I transferred my VHS tapes to DVD through my PC using Magix "Rescue Your Videotapes!", which I purchased at PC World. It comes with all the necessary leads and software. The editing software is quite basic but it does the job. You can easily edit out any unwanted material like adverts or combine material from more than one VHS tape onto a single DVD.

DJD200

Thanks for your help guys, going to look into it a bit more before making a decision.

macbrains

You can get the unedited data off the box's hard drive, into a PC, edit it and create a disc, all without any further encoding (so, quickly and without degradation) if you use the right methods and software. Again, precise method will vary by machine.

Can you go into this a bit more? I have a Toshiba VCR/HDD/DVD and also a Funai one, and I don't know of a way to copy the HDD contents to my PC - isn't it in some kind of proprietary format? And how would the two connect physically?

Thanks for any help you are able to give!:D

rgds
Rob

Bill EWS

I'm usinga Toshiba VCR/DVD recorder/player and it couldn't be easier. Tape Cassette IN, Blank VDC dis in VCR, press 'Dub' and wait for the video to end then press 'stop. You have a number of resolution levels to record at and the top resolution is excellent, giving one hour recording to a DVD Disc. 'Standard' setting gives two hours, with slightly less resolution, of course, but still acceptable. It won't copy protected VCR Or DVD tape.discs or record in NTSC.

When the DVD disc is full you need to Finalize th disc so that it will play on other DVD players and, enter text for naming the programmes you have recorded on the disc menu. All from the 'zapper'.

I also use it for converting my 8mm cine films using a Camcorder and cine projector, with very good results. I am sure there are other VCR/DVD makes of recorder available.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Can you go into this a bit more?
I never said ... by connecting the two devices. I said ... without re-encoding. And in context we were talking about material that had been recorded from an external source (eg a VHS machine). That's only mentioned because in some instances, material recorded from a TV aerial may need re-encoding. But let's not get too far into that.

It's done like this.

You will need Corel Videostudio software. It has to be that software because (uniquely I think) it will handle import and export without re-encoding. Most (or all?) other video editors either won't import seamlessly from a DVD or insist on re-encoding for export, or both.

First - you use your tabletop machine to make a regular Video DVD. Editing on this can be coarse or even non-existent. Only do so if there is a LOT of throwaway content. I recommend DVD-Video mode (not VR mode) for reliablity. Use a re-writable DVD blank as you aren't going to keep it and you can re-use it for the next one.

IMPORTANT: This copy from the HDD must be done "High Speed". If it's realtime then it's being re-encoded which ideally is to be avoided. So when doing the initial record onto the Hard Disk, the "quality" setting needs to be such that the contents will fit a DVD. A high speed copy should take ~20 minutes.

Next - take the DVD and import it into Corel Videostudio. This app will copy the data off the DVD onto your HDD without re-encoding it.

Next - edit as required using Corel.

When done you can use the same app to create mpeg files and/or master a fresh disc with menus and so on. When doing so, allow it to "Smart Render". This is the unique feature - what it does is only encode the bits you have edited; the rest is just copied unchanged from the source. So it's quick and lossless. Depending on the amount of editing, this may take 15 minutes. If it takes hours, it's re-encoding.

Last edited:

macbrains

Many thanks for that - much appreciated for the amount of detail. Sad to say, I'm completely at fault for not being much more clear in what I was on about!:(

What I meant was how could I transfer TV programmes recorded on to the HDD on a combined VCR/HDD/DVD - to a PC or maybe an external hard drive, so I could have a backup copy in case the hard disc failed, and also maybe edit them to remove adverts etc. I think they would probably be in some kind of proprietary format?

Thank you again, anyway, for your help.

rgds
Rob

Harpers Tate

Established Member
...and that is exactly what I was describing. If it isn't clear then by all means ask for clarification.

To repeat
Material on your combi HDD is already in mpeg format.
Copy to DVD disc. High speed copy. Trust me - this DOES work and doesn't encode.
Copy from DVD disc to PC hard drive (use Corel VS). Trust me - this DOES work and doesn't encode.
Edit as required (use Corel VS).
Make new mpeg file and/or disc using Smart Render (use Corel VS). This only encodes the bits you edit. The unchanged bits in between are not encoded.

Result - finely edited copy on your PC HDD and/or on another disc. Most of which is IDENTICAL to (i.e. not re-encoded) the original on your combi HDD.

Last edited:

johnnym

I transferred my VHS tapes to DVD through my PC using Magix "Rescue Your Videotapes!", which I purchased at PC World. It comes with all the necessary leads and software. The editing software is quite basic but it does the job. You can easily edit out any unwanted material like adverts or combine material from more than one VHS tape onto a single DVD.

+1 for "Rescue Your Videotapes!", it is the easiest Video to DVD software that I have used.

Status
Not open for further replies.