• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Victoria line new stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamn

I know this has made some outings on late night services, when is it due to enter daytime service?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daniel

Established Member
It already has.

It leaves Seven Sisters southbound at 1017 M-F.

Like today.

And it failed at Finsbury Park =)

jon0844

Veteran Member
It already has.

It leaves Seven Sisters southbound at 1017 M-F.

Like today.

And it failed at Finsbury Park =)

It's performing to expectations for a Bombardier made train then.

Well, not quite; it actually left Seven Sisters!

CCF23

A couple of weeks ago Sunday 15th November i was at Pimlico for a while filming the 67 stock and as i went up the escalators i heard something on the Brixton bound platform that sounded like an electrostar i straight away thought it was an 09 stock i ran down the same escalator and filmed it leaving. I waited for it to come back northbound and took it as far as Highbury and Islington. The acceleration was so quick although the top speed felt the same as the 67 stock. The trains inside were bright although unexpectedly the ride quality is nearly as bumpy as on the old stock. I did like the new stock, not as much as the 67 stock and i felt they seemed like better trains than the 95 or mainly 96 stock. Although funnily i found myself swaying as the train accelerated and constantly brushing shoulders with people nearby :)

I will put my videos on my youtube channel soon of the new stock and post a link.

Daniel

Established Member
Oh dear! Was that Train 2 - and is Train 4 in use yet, passenger or non-passenger?

Yes it was train 2 that failed, (and is still OOS at the moment)! I'm not sure about T4 I'm afraid, I wasn't aware it was down yet - sorry!

A60K

Yes it was train 2 that failed, (and is still OOS at the moment)! I'm not sure about T4 I'm afraid, I wasn't aware it was down yet - sorry!

Cheers! AIUI Train 4 (Units 7 and 8) was delivered to NP just before Christmas, although I haven't seen it myself. Train 3 is apparantly to follow later, still being used at Old Dalby. I believe that Train 5 will be built to the definitive design and delivered in the next month or so, including mods based on service experience with Train 2 and testing with Train 1.

The scheduled diagrams I think include, as well as the 10.17 M-F, a 20.17 ex-SS M-F which goes SS-B-WC-B-SS, and on Saturday there are three more diagrams during the daytime, similar on Sunday, with most including the full round trip plus SS starts and finishes.

A rough estimate from my observations is that around 80% of the diagrams use the 2009 stock, with the 1967 sometimes covering, and sometimes the diagram not running at all due to service disruptions. You've got a pretty good chance of finding one on a Saturday, especially around 10.00, 14.00 and 18.00 at Kings Cross.

One thing I have noticed is the braking being rather fierce - around 13 seconds from the train entering the platform to doors opening, compared with around 18 seconds on 67 stock. You also seem to get quite a bit of heat and a burning brake pad/disc smell on arrival at some stations!

Kurayami

The acceleration was so quick although the top speed felt the same as the 67 stock.

Not in itself supprising as the top speed that the 67 stock reaches in the tunnel is going to be the the speed limit of the line, so unless they rebuild the whole line, change the gradeints and curves were still stuck with that speed.
The higher capacity is going to come from the signaling upgrades and the faster accelleration in and out of stations.

A60K

Not in itself supprising as the top speed that the 67 stock reaches in the tunnel is going to be the the speed limit of the line, so unless they rebuild the whole line, change the gradeints and curves were still stuck with that speed.

The gradients and curves on the Victoria line are generally not what limits speed - the ruling gradient and typical curve if translated to the National Rail network would allow speeds of 80-100mph.

The small tunnel profile and tightly fitting train, and consequent air resistance, mean that you would need an awful lot more power to go faster, and a significant number of draught relief shafts, and for a line with stations every mile or so it's not worth it - it's better to use any extra power with revised gearing so that acceleration is faster, as they have done with 2009 stock.

Daniel

Established Member
I have the times for it but obviously you can't guarantee anything as it is, after all, just a test. It can be cancelled for any number of reasons.

A60K

In around six to eight weeks time I think there should be a regular 09 stock operation, rather than just the test runs, Daniel may have better info about exactly when. Once that happens, position yourself at Warren Street and every train on the line will turn up within 40 minutes

Daniel

Established Member
Might take slightly longer as the 09 stock was I believe zero'd last week following a failure.

fIIsion

Driver training for the 09 stock should start very soon (next couple of weeks, excluding SSTO drivers that have already been trained).

Train 4 has been out every day this week, bar last Monday's major hiccup, there are still a few teething problems.

the new trains are quite nice and the performance is impressive but I wouldn't say they are as good as the 1995/6 stock

jon0844

Veteran Member
Colleague at work has been on one and said the doorway lights are SUPER bright. The whole train is pretty light, it makes a different 'whooshing' sound when it goes into a tunnel and there's a new voice - which I took from her description is actually proper text-to-speech and presumably able to say anything?

I hope it sounds more like a TomTom computer voice than the King's Cross computer voice.

I'm now intrigued to see one myself.

A60K

I really wanna see these new train! But I will miss the old ones...arn't they gonna be moved to the Bakerloo to join the 1972s?

No - it was discussed a few years ago, in connection with the Bakerloo being re-extended to Watford Junction. That won't now happen until the Bakerloo gets its own new stock, if at all. The 67 stock will probably all go for scrap, unless some is kept for non-passenger use - or, unlikely, the Isle of Wight.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Colleague at work has been on one and said the doorway lights are SUPER bright. The whole train is pretty light, it makes a different 'whooshing' sound when it goes into a tunnel and there's a new voice - which I took from her description is actually proper text-to-speech and presumably able to say anything?

I hope it sounds more like a TomTom computer voice than the King's Cross computer voice.

I'm now intrigued to see one myself.

They've got very bright LEDs at low level which illuminate the door sill, so bright they reflect off the platform tiles. I think a trick has been missed here to have them flash as the doors closing warning sounds. There are some tiny door closing pictograms in orange, but they're pretty poor really - and the doors closing sound itself is pretty anonymous, so much so that manual PA announcements are often made to warn of the doors closing. Hopefully that will be fixed on the production trains - only the pre-production train 2 (units 3 and 4) is running at the moment.

Braking and acceleration is much better than 67 stock - on average 67 stock takes around 18 seconds to stop after the front of the train enters the station; 09 stops in around 13.

I think the automatic announcements are still recorded by a real person - if not it's a very good artificial voice!

jon0844

Veteran Member
The new synthesised voices are still real voices, but only certain bits of words recorded to make up full words. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but there are a number of companies offering this natural voice stuff - as used on many things from sat nav devices to mobile phones. The one used by LUL at King's Cross is the same system (software) as used on Nokia phones (and Bury Technologies handsfree car kits) - it used to be the exact same male voice! It still needs tweaking but is nearly there; clearly the announcements are better than having to give very generic pre-recorded ones. Of course, you have to have someone typing sensible announcements now!

In Sweden, the subway trains have a bright amber/red light at the top of the door that flashes when the doors are closing. Of course, whatever you have, you'll have people boarding at the wrong time and holding the doors open. Perhaps the solution is to electrify the doors - just watch someone holding them then!

A60K

Perhaps the solution is to electrify the doors - just watch someone holding them then!

You are Ken Bates AICMFP :D ... Actually, that's not a bad idea! Alternatively, if a door is being obstructed have an automatic announcement "If there is an idiot holding this door, please let it go immediately. You are not the only person on this train and you're holding everyone else up because you're a selfish idiot."

Doors on the Paris Metro are generally very, er, demonstrative - if you get in their way you'll know about it.

Daniel

Established Member
Driver training for the 09 stock should start very soon (next couple of weeks, excluding SSTO drivers that have already been trained).

Indeed it has now started, I was down at Northumberland Park and sat in on the course - I love the simulator, I want one!!

22553_1360431019642_1497550272_967877_4223354_n.jpg

Pumbaa

Established Member
Any idea why the drivers position is now on the right, not the left? Sorry, train operator! No manual driving to be done!

Daniel

Established Member
Ta Daniel! Still seems mighty odd though, not natural!

No problem.

I suppose it must be weird for most - I've been used to sitting in the secondman's anyway, so it was more natural for me to be sitting on that side - but I guess it must be weird if your used to being on the left!! The Vic drivers pretty much use both at the moment anyway, as the 67TS has no CSDE so they only have one set of door controls on the appropriate sides.

The only thing I noticed with the 09 is that the column to the side of the M door really impairs what you can see - I did notice alot of co-acting signals on the right hand side so you can see them, though.

CCF23

Not knowing the mechanical performance of the 1967 stock from a passenger point of view i feel that TFL should replace the 1992 stock on the Central Line with the 67 stock displaced from the Victoria Line both lines have ATO although 2 cars would have to be removed to make this train 6 car. I say this because in my opinion, despite being under half the age of the 67 stock, the 92 stock is in poor condition their appearance both inside and outside the train which much graffiti, worn interiors and seats, they look dirty too, plus there performance isn't great as there have been many problems with them some notable crashes. I just wish that TFL replaced trains based on performance and passenger comfort rather than just on age.

A60K

Not knowing the mechanical performance of the 1967 stock from a passenger point of view i feel that TFL should replace the 1992 stock on the Central Line with the 67 stock displaced from the Victoria Line both lines have ATO although 2 cars would have to be removed to make this train 6 car. I say this because in my opinion, despite being under half the age of the 67 stock, the 92 stock is in poor condition their appearance both inside and outside the train which much graffiti, worn interiors and seats, they look dirty too, plus there performance isn't great as there have been many problems with them some notable crashes. I just wish that TFL replaced trains based on performance and passenger comfort rather than just on age.

It's a complete non-starter - not enough 67 stock trains, ATO equipment is entirely different, 67 stock is much slower, is worn out and needs replacing soon anyway, graffiti and dirt will apply equally regardless of the stock involved, the 'crashes' are hardly a regular problem... need I go on?!? Finally, TfL ARE replacing based on performance - 09 stock is around 10% faster overall, and arguably will offer better passenger comfort through increased space and more trains.

CCF23

It's a complete non-starter - not enough 67 stock trains, ATO equipment is entirely different, 67 stock is much slower, is worn out and needs replacing soon anyway, graffiti and dirt will apply equally regardless of the stock involved, the 'crashes' are hardly a regular problem... need I go on?!? Finally, TfL ARE replacing based on performance - 09 stock is around 10% faster overall, and arguably will offer better passenger comfort through increased space and more trains.

I thought that it is highly unlikely that they could do it but do you think that the 92 stock are in better condition and have better passenger comfort than the 67 stock ?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Surely you take one train out of service, give it a full refit and suddenly it's going to look brand new?

No need to change it for an older train.

Status
Not open for further replies.