• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Victoria line new stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class377/5

Established Member
I think people forget that the cost of platform edge doors is £1m per platform. This means the Victoria Line would cost £33m (16 stations plus the extra platform at Seven Sisters).

That and the fact you'd have to close the line for a few weeks until all doors were fixed and the line tested means it's a non starter.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DavyCrocket

I think people forget that the cost of platform edge doors is £1m per platform. This means the Victoria Line would cost £33m (16 stations plus the extra platform at Seven Sisters).

That and the fact you'd have to close the line for a few weeks until all doors were fixed and the line tested means it's a non starter.

I think that PEDs would cost more than that!

anonymous0101

The driver training for the new 'S' stock, for the Metropolitan line starts soon. My son is a driver on this line, and starts his induction on the new stock, next month.

photo-1.jpg

I hope the new trains' performance isn't badly restricted the way 1995 stock on the Northern line is.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Hong Kong MTR retrofitted PEDs to 30 stations without platform closures, Paris Line 1 (as has been said above) is having similar work done.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I bet neither are paying as much as we'd have to pay either. Well, possibly Paris, but probably not HK.

Class377/5

Established Member
I think that PEDs would cost more than that!

True, I was using the price off the JLE, so 12 years ago they were £1m per platform. Now alot more.

Hong Kong MTR retrofitted PEDs to 30 stations without platform closures, Paris Line 1 (as has been said above) is having similar work done.

I doubt it would be allowed on our system. Your talking about closing platform off to passengers and having trains whizz through. Even if they can do some work it's not going to be easy and H&S won't allow people to work a foot from moving trains unprotected.

Sadly tho as PED would help reduce incidents (not just people on the track) but one thing is if a train isn't in the right place you could have a situation where 6 or 7 cars are on the platform but not passenger can escape. If there's a fire in the train that having PED could slow down the evacuation and possible cost lives and everyone tries to escape from the front of the train.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Units 11019 / 11020 were running in passenger service yesterday ( 16th ); the highest numbered I have seen. A member of staff did say, however, that they now have a total of 11 of the new trains comissioned, which implies that units 11021 / 11022 are running ( assuming 11011 / 11002 aren't still stuffed full of test equipment; if they are then that implies 11023 / 11024 may be in traffic already.

Engineer EA

Just as a matter of interest. What is happening to the '67 stock? Is it going for scrap or are LU going to use it elsewhere?

There had been talk of holding on to some units for conversion to run with the '72 stock on the Bakerloo if the line were to be extended back to Watford Junction. My guess though is that nearly all will be sold for scrap.:(

Voyager 2093

Some have indeed been scrapped already.

A lot have been to Acton works for scrapping. The rumour was to keep some for the Bakerloo's conversion but that plan was scrapped itself. Apparently the Bakerloo is to get 1992TS trains in the near future but I'll let Gavelex expand on that ;).

starrymarkb

Established Member
So is any of the 67-Stock going to the IoWR?

No - They want 73 stock. Lack of cabside doors is one issue I can think of (regs require the driver to have a separate door for access to the track etc and as new stock to the mainline it won't be covered by the exemptions to BR era stock like the 156)

A60K

And they might be waiting a while for 73 stock now, given the uncertainty about the Piccadilly Line upgrade.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Crikey! I saw units 01 and 19 in traffic just last week! Shows how quickly the axe is falling on them.

Is there a date yet for total changeover?

Last edited:

Metadyneman

Seems a shame to scrap a perfectly working train. The '67 stock is hardly "life expired" in my opinion... maybe I'm the one getting old lol

Voyager 2093

Seems a shame to scrap a perfectly working train. The '67 stock is hardly "life expired" in my opinion... maybe I'm the one getting old lol

I agree. I think they should have put them on the Bakerloo and axe the 1972MKII Stock, those in my opinion are life expired.

Goldfish62

Established Member
What I'm saying is the 67s should stay in service I'm sure many people would agree and the 72 axed because in my humble opinion 67ts do the job better than 72ts ;).

They're both rubbish trains IMO. :D

starrymarkb

Established Member
What I'm saying is the 67s should stay in service I'm sure many people would agree and the 72 axed because in my humble opinion 67ts do the job better than 72ts ;).

They are identical - only differences are one has ATO gear and the other doesn't and one has 8 cars and the other 7!

Fincra5

Established Member
Apart from the inside too, the 72s were refurbished with LED matix infromation screens, improved lighting, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.