• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Video Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
Dai's neat little thread about Internet Easter Eggs went off the rails (no pun intended :lol:) a bit, not least because someone called "Ivo" provided a link to some video game Easter Eggs. The resultant discussion has gotten me wondering; who here plays video games, and what do you tend to play (and play on)?

I may be 21, but I will openly admit to still playing Pokémon games (I must own at least ten in total). Am I the only sad one, or are there others out there? Console wise, I have a Nintendo64, a Gamecube, a GBA and a DS in Bath, and a PSX back home (it doesn't work very well any more).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
If NFSU2 is the one I think it is, my brother has it on the XBox (I think; might be the 360 depending on when it was released) and made a hamster car from a Mazda RX8 :D We were going to send it in to Top Gear for Richard Hammond, but it never happened.

Oi! Person on here who decided to call himself after a fictional anime character with a stack of money and no rules! You even there?! Send it off! :lol:

CarterUSM

Established Member
Dai's neat little thread about Internet Easter Eggs went off the rails (no pun intended :lol:) a bit, not least because someone called "Ivo" provided a link to some video game Easter Eggs. The resultant discussion has gotten me wondering; who here plays video games, and what do you tend to play (and play on)?

I may be 21, but I will openly admit to still playing Pokémon games (I must own at least ten in total). Am I the only sad one, or are there others out there? Console wise, I have a Nintendo64, a Gamecube, a GBA and a DS in Bath, and a PSX back home (it doesn't work very well any more).

Good shout mate, i felt a little rotten for Dai the way we veered off topic!! I've had loads of games machines/computers, ZX spectrum 48k was my first, then a 128k with inbuilt tape deck, yeeha, C64, Amiga, console wise i had(still have) NES, SuperNES, Megadrive, then the wonderful Playstation ( went through 3 of them), PS2( 2 of them) and now currently PS3. I just love it to bits. Currently playing, when i get the time or inclination , Battlefield Bad company 2, Red dead redemption, Blur demo and GTA: Episodes from Liberty city. Loved Driver back in the day, haven't touched the newest one, though i'd like to give it a shot. Also used to enjoy RPG's when i was younger like; Elite, Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy, but not so keen now. Tomb Raider and Metal gear solid were also great to play when lots of winter hours to fill

Drsatan

Established Member
I have a PS2 (hardly ever used), and a PS1 (not used since September 2003). When I move to Exeter the PS2 will spend most of its time in use as a DVD player.

Favourite games include GT1, GT2, GT3, and the first three Crash Bandicoot games.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
My best Columns score is 3572.:)

Could have done more, but it was by then around 02.00 and I had work at 09.15 the next ... err... the same day so I aborted the game! The grid was still very nearly empty with just a dozen or so blocks in the lower four rows. On average I score about 1000 points per hour when it's flowing well.

My late mother in law was an excellent Columns player; she could regularly better 1000 points on a mono screen!

ert47

I may be 21, but I will openly admit to still playing Pokémon games (I must own at least ten in total).

Oooooooh.... I'd ask for your friends code, but I rarely play mah Pokemon games anymore :K (Diamond, Platinum and Heart Gold)

Im currently on a Games course at uni, so I try my best to keep up with games - last game I got was Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker on the PSP - I love it! :)

Z12XE

and now currently PS3. I just love it to bits.

In that case and going by someo of the games you listed dont forget to checkout Uncharted on PS3 if you haven't done yet - In Particular Uncharted 2 - Among Theives, it's an excellent game.

Ivo

Established Member
Oooooooh.... I'd ask for your friends code, but I rarely play mah Pokemon games anymore :K (Diamond, Platinum and Heart Gold)

I have two of those three - Pearl, not Diamond wrong; I also bought Diamond long before the date in this thread! - Pearl was my main though. And I'll probably get White when it comes out (and probably an American one so I can play it early :lol:). I haven't really done anything on-line, and I get annoyed by strategies that are quite clearly taken from the Internet. Where's the ingenuity from the first two generations? (Answer: It went out the window with Ruby & Sapphire.)

I have a near-invincible team on the original Stadium. It's only ever lost when at a huge disadvantage (e.g. six Legendary Pokémon, or when the opponents are not rental and have a decisive Level advantage), or to itself :D And that's in ten years of playing!

Last edited:

ert47

I have two of those three - Pearl, not Diamond. And I'll probably get White when it comes out (and probably an American one so I can play it early :lol:). I haven't really done anything on-line, and I get annoyed by strategies that are quite clearly taken from the Internet. Where's the ingenuity from the first two generations? (Answer: It went out the window with Ruby & Sapphire.)

I have a near-invincible team on the original Stadium. It's only ever lost when at a huge disadvantage (e.g. six Legendary Pokémon, or when the opponents are not rental and have a decisive Level advantage), or to itself :D And that's in ten years of playing!

I got a lot of mates at uni who play it, but i sorta got bored of it when they all went on about EV training - it seemed like too much effort :K

CarterUSM

Established Member
In that case and going by someo of the games you listed dont forget to checkout Uncharted on PS3 if you haven't done yet - In Particular Uncharted 2 - Among Theives, it's an excellent game.

Played and took them back for exchange a few months back! Uncharted 2 was particularly good, though my trophy haul was a poor 24% or the like.:(

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Hope everyone realises that I am now going to flood this Thread with 1,000,000 why GTA 4 is the best game in existance :D :D :D. Oh, and Snowboard Kids for the Nintendo 64 rules :D

CarterUSM

Established Member
Hope everyone realises that I am now going to flood this Thread with 1,000,000 why GTA 4 is the best game in existance :D :D :D. Oh, and Snowboard Kids for the Nintendo 64 rules :D

I'll agree to an extent, the 'sandbox' style games seem to be very popular with gamers, i thought red dead redemption would trump GTA IV but it is a little sparse after you have completed the main story. Multiplayer, and free Co-op missions more than made up for that though! Nowadays, having a good multiplayer is pretty important in my view.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I'll agree to an extent, the 'sandbox' style games seem to be very popular with gamers, i thought red dead redemption would trump GTA IV but it is a little sparse after you have completed the main story. Multiplayer, and free Co-op missions more than made up for that though! Nowadays, having a good multiplayer is pretty important in my view.

Yeah, RDR was good, just like you say, after the main story it goes a bit flat. also riding around the wilderness without seeing anyone and the abondoned towns and things make you feel really really lonely! :D GTA 4 has much more going on, a lot more lively :D

CarterUSM

Established Member
Yeah, RDR was good, just like you say, after the main story it goes a bit flat. also riding around the wilderness without seeing anyone and the abondoned towns and things make you feel really really lonely! :D GTA 4 has much more going on, a lot more lively :D

Definately! Though i don't find the multiplayer particularly satisfying . Episodes from Liberty City is great too, though having the whole map open straight away lessens the sense of achievement a little. My favourite GTA title was definitely San Andreas though,and i'd like a much bigger world to explore than even Liberty City with the next installment! There was a game based in London loosely along the same lines as GTA, The Getaway, it was pretty good also, but def not in the same league!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Definately! Though i don't find the multiplayer particularly satisfying . Episodes from Liberty City is great too, though having the whole map open straight away lessens the sense of achievement a little. My favourite GTA title was definitely San Andreas though,and i'd like a much bigger world to explore than even Liberty City with the next installment! There was a game based in London loosely along the same lines as GTA, The Getaway, it was pretty good also, but def not in the same league!

Never played SA, everyone says its the best. Just checked that R* Games expect that GTA V will be around between 31 Oct 2010 and (not officaiily) Christmas :D. Can't wait :D

Z12XE

But that doesn't take away from the fact it's absolutely awsome :D - GTA 5 is due in Autumn (allegedly), maybe early next year :D

I can't see it being out that soon, Agent should be out first (R* North being the developer on that) and Agent has no release date yet

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I can't see it being out that soon, Agent should be out first (R* North being the developer on that) and Agent has no release date yet

I thought R* North have been assaigned GTA V development :D, maybe any of the other 9 Rockstar teams are doing it, Leeds, lincoln, London, Toronto maybe? :D

CarterUSM

Established Member

I'm waiting patiently for that, most R* titles are generally the only games i'll purchase without reading a review or even listening to a friends recommendation

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I only ever buy real-life sandbox games (GTA, RDR) and FIFA. ultimate question:

360 or PS3 :D?

Z12XE

As a stop gap this summer Mafia 2 looks great out in a month and the PS3 has exclusive content

CarterUSM

Established Member

Hoped this wouldn't come up, but it is PS3 for me, though they both have their pros and cons at the moment. Once developers fully utilise the PS3 system though, i think it will blow x-box out the water. It's also a better build quality, quieter , uses a superior disc read system, has a non-propriety HD that you can replace at a whim if you choose and PSN is free, though i think x-box live is superior at the moment, this will change soon i think. Oh,you can also have more than two people on off game video/voice chat.:)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As a stop gap this summer Mafia 2 looks great out in a month and the PS3 has exclusive content
What was the first one like? I could be tempted to pick it up pre-owned perhaps. I might give the sequel a go regardless anyway.

Heinz57

I do enjoy playing a good game.

Console wise I own a PS3 and a PS2, now the PS3s on the scene the PS2 is seldom used. we also used to have PS1, Nintendo 64 and so on.

When playing games I perfer to keep driving and shooters to the PS and other stuff like strategy and so on for computer. No reason, its just how I perfer it, for example; I find it alot easyer to control a strategy game on the computer and likewise I find it alot better to control a racing game on the PS.

Favorite PS games - COD3, 4, 5 (world at war), 6 (MW2), F1 championship eddition, Moto GP 08

Favorite PC games - Sims2, Command and Conquer (favorites are Generals and Tiberium Wars), Locomotion

I also enjoy a bit of flight simming on FS2004

ert47

haha, Although i dont own one, I have to say PS3! Bought a 360 last year and have had buyers remorse ever since xD

Favorite PC games - Sims2, Command and Conquer (favorites are Generals and Tiberium Wars), Locomotion

C&C is awesome, had the original version way back on PC and got Generals. Now that the first few games are available free from the EA site, im steadily making my way through them :)

CarterUSM

Established Member
I do enjoy playing a good game.

Console wise I own a PS3 and a PS2, now the PS3s on the scene the PS2 is seldom used. we also used to have PS1, Nintendo 64 and so on.

When playing games I perfer to keep driving and shooters to the PS and other stuff like strategy and so on for computer. No reason, its just how I perfer it, for example; I find it alot easyer to control a strategy game on the computer and likewise I find it alot better to control a racing game on the PS.

Favorite PS games - COD3, 4, 5 (world at war), 6 (MW2), F1 championship eddition, Moto GP 08

I also enjoy a bit of flight simming on FS2004

That's a fair shout, though I only play games at all on the the PS3, fair enjoyed the latest installment of Command and Conquer:Red Alert, but I have Civilisation Revolutions too, and I keep going back to play it again and again, I can't bear to trade it in. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.