• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin First Class ticket am - breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay jay

Hi, wonder if you could help. I am travelling First Class from London to Manchester tomorrow morning on the 0830 ex London Euston. Will I get breakfast on this train? I have always wondered what the latest departure from Euston to Manchester would be where I would get breakfast included. Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Hi, wonder if you could help. I am travelling First Class from London to Manchester tomorrow morning on the 0830 ex London Euston. Will I get breakfast on this train? I have always wondered what the latest departure from Euston to Manchester would be where I would get breakfast included. Thanks

There is no 0830; they are at 0800, then 0820, then 0840. Either way, breakfast is served up until (and including) the 0940 Euston-Manchester Piccadilly train. It’ll be the standard breakfast service: orange juice, tea/coffee, toast and a Full English, Vegetarian or Scrambled Eggs.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That tells me there isnt a train from London Euston at 08:30. I would worry about that before worrying about breakfast!

Ah, minor issue then :lol:

Well I swear that is the London to Manchester timetable until December anyway (mostly because that's what it says on it!)

GodAtum

On Moderation
This is what my breakfast looked like :)

22653_550711223498_36702422_32970362_6633546_n.jpg

route101

Established Member
Looks nice . I dont like salmon so i would of gone for the full english.

Darandio

Established Member
I have to agree, fishy breakfast is not for me.

As a side note, I really want to try the breakfast on East Coast sometime soon. Is the "Great British" as good as it sounds or just a very small amount of each?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's good I think it's a bit dear personally but portion size is reasonable. Last time I had one I had it about 10am I didn't feel hungry again until about 6pm!

premier01

It's good I think it's a bit dear personally but portion size is reasonable. Last time I had one I had it about 10am I didn't feel hungry again until about 6pm!

I agree-the prices are like 4 star hotel prices-sounds good though.

Out of interest do VT still offer cereals on breakfast services-travelled recently and doesn't seem to be on the menu.

RAPC

are carried (but not on services to West Midlands)

You have to ask for them though...

It's all rather done with a nod and a wink too, with the staff almost always whispering in hushed tones to confirm you can have it when you ask!

Established Member
I have to agree, fishy breakfast is not for me.

As a side note, I really want to try the breakfast on East Coast sometime soon. Is the "Great British" as good as it sounds or just a very small amount of each?

Had it one the trip from Inverness to KGX, set me up as far as Newcastle (then had the beefburger).

route101

Established Member
Why would Virgin have the breakfast cereals but not advertise them?:roll:
Im sure the Hot Breakfast portion size on Virgin is smaller than it used but im still not complaining . The idea of Breakfast from Inverness and a Burger past Newcastle sounds good , gotta try East Coast 1ST again . Ive only had a Bacon Buttie so far.

Established Member
Im sure the Hot Breakfast portion size on Virgin is smaller than it used but im still not complaining . The idea of Breakfast from Inverness and a Burger past Newcastle sounds good , gotta try East Coast 1ST again . Ive only had a Bacon Buttie so far.

The whole trip cost around £100, which included tickets from Newcastle - Inverness, Inverness - KGX 1st class, KGX - Newcastle, the hotel in Inverness and the food. So a pretty good two days out.

premier01

Im sure the Hot Breakfast portion size on Virgin is smaller than it used but im still not complaining . The idea of Breakfast from Inverness and a Burger past
Newcastle sounds good , gotta try East Coast 1ST again . Ive only had a Bacon Buttie so far.

I have seen ' a selection of cereal's ' advertised in the menus but it's not listed as an option any more on the menus or on the website.

I agree the portion sizes are on the small size-is it me or are they smaller than they used to be-it seems to me that Evening Meals were of a generous proportion-then about 18 months back they went really small-and now they've got slightly larger but not back to what they were!

On a linked topic it could be me but the service seems to have dipped recently-at 1 time the staff couldn't do enough for u-in fact they came round with the bar service all too often-but now it seems a case of get the service started and finished asap then they can all have a chill out in Coach K-would be interested in views on that.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I'll agree on the point about getting service over and done as soon as possible: on the 1630 Euston-Glasgow Central last Friday (the one which calls at Preston only), the service was (in order, and approximate location):
  • Cold drinks (and pretzels!!!): Harrow & Wealdstone;
  • Orders for main meal: Apsley;
  • Main meal served: Milton Keynes, earlier (Tring) if having the cold option;
  • Hot drinks: Rugby;
  • Dessert: Nuneaton/Tamworth;
  • Cold drinks: Lichfield TV;
  • Clean-up: Warrington BQ (unless travelling onwards to Glasgow, I alighted at Preston);

Drinks and more dessert were offered when the trolley was moving back towards the Kitchen, but tea/coffee etc was only offered once.

I feel the service has decreased a bit: portions of the hot meal appeared to be smaller than pre-2008 and the cold option (a beef and pear sandwich) was delightful, but small too: Virgin’s service is not overly brilliant when compared to EC's service. It does surprise me, I would have thought that on the headline Glasgow (along with headline Liverpool, Manchester and West Midlands trains) that the service may have been that little bit more spectacular, but obviously not. Primo was the height of Virgin’s First Class service, but went to scrap from the introduction of VHF, and frankly the service has never recovered. Pendolino Primo, now that was good!!!

Another point to note is the service on weekends, only having a trolley coming through TWICE between Glasgow and London is unacceptable.

End of rant!!!

jay jay

That tells me there isnt a train from London Euston at 08:30. I would worry about that before worrying about breakfast! :D

Indeed there was no 0830 train:D my error. My boss purchased me a ticket and told me it was 0830 but of course I had to change trains to get to Manc Pic. Enjoyed the breakfast and the whole service and experience was top notch!

ph1985

I'll agree on the point about getting service over and done as soon as possible: on the 1630 Euston-Glasgow Central last Friday (the one which calls at Preston only), the service was (in order, and approximate location):
  • Cold drinks (and pretzels!!!): Harrow & Wealdstone;
  • Orders for main meal: Apsley;
  • Main meal served: Milton Keynes, earlier (Tring) if having the cold option;
  • Hot drinks: Rugby;
  • Dessert: Nuneaton/Tamworth;
  • Cold drinks: Lichfield TV;
  • Clean-up: Warrington BQ (unless travelling onwards to Glasgow, I alighted at Preston);

Drinks and more dessert were offered when the trolley was moving back towards the Kitchen, but tea/coffee etc was only offered once.

I feel the service has decreased a bit: portions of the hot meal appeared to be smaller than pre-2008 and the cold option (a beef and pear sandwich) was delightful, but small too: Virgin’s service is not overly brilliant when compared to EC's service. It does surprise me, I would have thought that on the headline Glasgow (along with headline Liverpool, Manchester and West Midlands trains) that the service may have been that little bit more spectacular, but obviously not. Primo was the height of Virgin’s First Class service, but went to scrap from the introduction of VHF, and frankly the service has never recovered. Pendolino Primo, now that was good!!!

Another point to note is the service on weekends, only having a trolley coming through TWICE between Glasgow and London is unacceptable.

End of rant!!!

on the weekends you may as well be in standard class these days. once upon a time the weekend service was near as damnit the same as off peak weekday on the london-manchester route.

peak weekday seems to have dropped to the old off peak weekday, off peak weekday has dropped to the old weekend and weekend has dropped almost to standard.

Simon11

Established Member
If you want more food, just ask the staff. Unless they're short of food, I'm sure the staff don't mind. Staff eat any lefts over anyway while sitting in coach K .....

Remember First Class passengers are very important for Virgin, so will do all they can to retain them.

Also they only display some of the breakfast options in the menu, if you ask them, they will give you the full options you can have like fruit, toast ect. They understand for regular customers they get bored of the main options so offer other things however don't tell the majority of customers due to the fact it takes longer to prep

premier01

I remember asking for a coke on a morning service and refused .

Is th
at the policy then-probably to do with logistics as they would only have the orange juice and grapefruit juice on the trolley.

Another point linked to the levels of service-recently on VT the staff seem to do all they can to get people out of Coach K-including-

There are plenty of seats though there-pointing to Coach J-there's more room in there and larger tables and choices of seats.

There's a fault with the Air Conditioning today in this coach so sit through there.

Loads of staff baggage and paperwork taking most of the seats up in the coach.

I'm telling u to sit through there today u can't sit in this coach today.

Now I'm sure there are sometimes reasons for this but these situations have occurred many times in the last 12 months.

I think this isn't right and Coach K is should be avialable because-

It is more relaxing than the other coaches some times.

It is nearer to the exit and entrances at Euston station.

Service is offered first.

It could say on a reservation that you have to sit in there.

I think it's to do with the staff wanting to chat and mess around after service in there.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Remember First Class passengers are very important for Virgin, so will do all they can to retain them.

That's news to me after one particular journey with Virgin, which just happened to be the most expensive i've paid for a single ticket. Whilst using the 16:30 Euston to Glasgow [as far as Preston], sat in coach G, and got a slightly warm (at best!) portion of the evening meal.

I politely mentioned this to the service manager when they came through again, only to be told to 'sit in the kitchen next time'.

Not only was I annoyed at her not taking onboard my feedback, I was even more annoyed at her suggestion, as I had previously been told to move away from coach K earlier that same day by a service manager, despite the other 3 coaches being quite busy and her being the only member of FC crew on the train. (Who presumably needed to sit on every single seat whilst getting breakfasts cooked)

Another point linked to the levels of service-recently on VT the staff seem to do all they can to get people out of Coach K-including-

I wonder if the more senior staff (i.e. 'managers' who don't regularly travel on the trains) are aware of pax being kicked out of coach K.

route101

Established Member
Ive sat in Coach K once , the very last row . I do remember the staff sitting there and i was the only person sitting there . I recall that they had run out of choices !
I do find Virgin Trains staff a bit cold sometimes , maybe its in the training and with the free food offer .

MCR247

Established Member
When I used Virgin on my ALR, they were all very nice, but then I won't have seen every member of staff! But I suppose it will be the same with all TOCs, some staff are excellent, some good, some average, some terrible. But hopefully with most, the excellent and good staff are the majority! :)

premier01

When I used Virgin on my ALR, they were all very nice, but then I won't have seen every member of staff! But I suppose it will be the same with all TOCs, some staff are excellent,
some good, some average, some terrible. But hopefully with most, the excellent and good staff are the majority! :)

What is ALR then.

I have to say that the majority of times I travel with VT the staff are always polite and friendly-I travel frequently with them and experience a variety of routes, train types and times.

It's just that the Coach K issuse does happen quite regularly-some staff are cold and hardly give u anytime to accept the offerings as they speed past with the trolley service.

Most as I have said are good and I have several friends that work for VT on board and in management.

I also have to say that the staff chatting in coach K doesn't bother me personally-quite entertaining listenin to the complaints about rolling shifts etc-providing it doesn't impat on the service.

I hear lots of good reports about EC here and although I haven't used them a lot travelled recently and they were good.

Status
Not open for further replies.