• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin first weekend upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Hi all,

I recently travelled with Cross Country and was unable to upgrade (on a Saturday) to First Class with an advanced ticket. My question is, does this same rule apply on Virgin Trains at weekend? If so, I may well need to book off peaks or First Advanced instead.

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
AFAIK XC and Grand Central are the only ones that do not allow Weekend First upgrades with a Standard Class Advance ticket.

See our Fares & Ticketing Guide.

causton

Established Member
AFAIK XC and Grand Central are the only ones that do not allow Weekend First upgrades with a Standard Class Advance ticket.

See our Fares & Ticketing Guide.

Although I once had trouble with an SWT guard who implied that I could not get it - he claimed it was because he had a notice conveniently in his other work blazer at home! SWT never gave me a conclusive reply about that... but then again, they don't really do to most of my complaints!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If we are going to enter the territory of people making up rules then I cannot possibly give any answer. :D

gordonthemoron

Established Member
but is a Virgin upgrade worth the money? Most Virgin trains I travel on at weekends aren't very busy (last Sunday's 20:21 from Manchester to Euston being an exception)

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Its worth it if every Std. carriage has noisy babies, children or lager lauts. :)

OwlMan

Established Member
If buying an advance for Virgin on a weekend the difference in fare between 1st & standard is usually less than the upgrade, and the 1st class is often cheaper :)

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
So if I held a first class advance, with a standard reservation, having had it changed (it was purchased as a first advance, but changed it to a later train in standard class), when approaching the TM will I have to pay the advertised £5 upgrade, or the difference from my ticket to the first class single?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If I understand you correctly, you now have a Standard Class ticket, so upgrade would be processed in the normal way as any other Standard Class ticket holder.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
If I understand you correctly, you now have a Standard Class ticket, so upgrade would be processed in the normal way as any other Standard Class ticket holder.

Basically yes, I have a first class advance, a reservation for standard class and a change of journey fee supplement. It was changed from a first class advance, into what I presume is a standard advance, although nowhere it says in writing it's a standard advance. I am travelling on a weekend.

So yes, I am able to get a £5 upgrade with these tickets? I thought you couldn't do the Virgin weekend upgrade with advance tickets.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Virgin Weekend First upgrade is available with any Standard Class ticket.

It is XC who do not allow such an upgrade with a Standard Class Advance ticket.

Established Member
So yes, I am able to get a £5 upgrade with these tickets? I thought you couldn't do the Virgin weekend upgrade with advance tickets.

You can, I've done it several times. It's only CrossCountry and a couple of others that don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.