• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Train Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
Vacancies at Euston, apply before 23rd January.

Anyone know how many jobs are on offer? Is it easy to transfer between work locations?

Thanks in advance, best of luck to those who apply.

http://www.virgintrainscareers.co.uk/VacancyInformation.aspx?VId=52395

1. Not enough for the hundreds of people that apply. That's just internally.

2. You have to apply as and when the vacancies appear on the internal site. TM vacancies, especially external ones are as rare as hens teeth so I wouldn't pin my hopes on that.

E-Rail

Are Virgin's TMs line managers for their own on-board crews in the way GNER's CSMs were or are they dedicated to guard's duties only?

Safety365

Are Virgin's TMs line managers for their own on-board crews in the way GNER's CSMs were or are they dedicated to guard's duties only?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe VirginTrains TMs are there only to perform the role of the guard.

I think they have Onboard Service Managers (or some other name), who are in-charge of the service/catering staff.

FManc

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe VirginTrains TMs are there only to perform the role of the guard.

I think they have Onboard Service Managers (or some other name), who are in-charge of the service/catering staff.

You are correct :)
I'm so so surprised this position has gone externally. The internal competition is going to be fierce, let alone with all the external applicants. Another one of our depots are looking for TMs but its an internal position.

Safety365

You are correct :)
I'm so so surprised this position has gone externally. The internal competition is going to be fierce, let alone with all the external applicants. Another one of our depots are looking for TMs but its an internal position.

An ex-VT Revenue/Gateline who is now a guard at my inner-London depot is applying for it. Any idea how many vacancies there are?

Established Member
Pointless advert, just looked at it. Leaving it open for that long will result in around 4,000 external applicants, and no matter what they say, there's no way they'll sift that many applications forms properly.

E-Rail

Why would they need to advertise it externally if the internal response is likely to be so high anyway?

Also notice it's for a 41 hour week rather than 35, hence the higher salary.

Does anyone know the comparable salary at EC for KGX based Guards?

Sammy h

What's the internal depot FManc, can you PM me?

I got an interview for an internal one about six months ago, but didn't go as I didn't think I was experienced enough, looking back it was a bit of a mistake.

As said above, a bit pointless making it external, the competition is going to be huge.

Paddy88

Hi, I'm new to the forum but just wanted to ask. I applied for this job "externally" and passed the assessment, I have been invited to Virgins Talent Academy in Crewe for the group exercise, role play & interview. Does anyone know what this will entail? Any pointers?

You have all worried me that the job will be given to an internal member of staff from the above comments. Do you think I even have a chance? I do have the skills needed but will this be looked over?

Many Thanks in advance!

RJ

Established Member
They will select whoever they feel is the best person for the role. That might not necessarily be an internal applicant. Just do your best!

Clip

Established Member
Hi, I'm new to the forum but just wanted to ask. I applied for this job "externally" and passed the assessment, I have been invited to Virgins Talent Academy in Crewe for the group exercise, role play & interview. Does anyone know what this will entail? Any pointers?

You have all worried me that the job will be given to an internal member of staff from the above comments. Do you think I even have a chance? I do have the skills needed but will this be looked over?

Many Thanks in advance!

In all honesty internal candidates will have to prove themselves a lot more than external candidates.

People seem to forget that we have records of staff members and everythign that they have ever done or recieved whilst in employment. Be that good or bad, praise or disciplinaries. Internal candidates seem to forget this and think they are probably a shoo-in for any role advertised.

And this is why you should also be wondering why they advertised externally too ;)

If you have the skills then you have an equally good chance as someone who is already employed with Virgin. Listen very carefully to the instructions, read the associated bumf that comes with it, make notes then do your best. Its all you can do.

As long as you;re relaxed and confidant but not to the point where its showing off then thats all you can do.

And the best of luck to you.

Paddy88

Really appreciate it. I have been researching the job, company etc and will do my best to go in with a calm attitude. I know this will be key as it is safety critical. Has anyone been through this and can give me an idea of what will happen in the group discussion, role play?

craigybagel

Established Member
Group discussion at Virgin: normally there is a group about 8 of you in a room, and you get given a story. It's usually something along the lines of your boat has sunk and you have to pick which objects are the most important to survive, or the world is about to end and you have to choose from a list which people you would save. You get given a few minutes to make your own rankings, then you all discuss it as a group and try to reach a consensus together. It's a good way of seeing which people are too quiet or timid to get their voice heard, and which people are too dominant. Communication and team working skills are vital when working onboard so thats what you need to demonstrate.

With the role play you're thrown into the kind of situation you can expect to face as a TM. In the scenario, you are the TM and you are dealing with one or more customers with various potential problems. Again, you need to show good communication skills, and also be able to demonstrate excellent customer service skills.

Good luck anyway, the guys up at Crewe are very nice and they'll try and relax you as much as possible for the test. A lot of externals have been taken on lately for jobs that were open to internal staff as well so if you can show the skills that virgin like (be open, positive, and customer focused) you've got as good a chance as anyone.

Paddy88

That post was brilliant thank you! I have been preparing for the interview (knowledge on the company / my skills to match job role) but the group discussion and role play will have to come naturally I think. Thank you for giving me an idea of what to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.