• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains First-Class Lounge at Euston: late night opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKB

I have always thought it at odds with the "awesome" image Virgin likes to project that they provide a lounge at Euston that is often closed to first-class customers when their trains are still running.

While, over the years, the last weekday Virgin train from Euston has departed increasingly earlier, its current time of 23:25 means passengers in the lounge are ejected on to the concourse around 22:55, often before the train is ready to board. Not very awesome.

In fact, the situation is worse than that. No drinks are available from the bar after 22:30, and the coffee machine, as I found out recently, is turned off at 22:15.

I'd be pretty miffed if I were on an Anytime First, arrived an hour before my train, and was told I couldn't even get a cup of coffee.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
While, over the years, the last weekday Virgin train from Euston has departed increasingly earlier, its current time of 23:25

This is pretty poor - I remember the last Wolverhampton service being 2345 in the early 2000s - is there any reason why it's now 20 minutes earlier?

Established Member
As I've always understood it, they close the lounge to coincide with the 2350 Lowland Sleeper opening for boarding.

Bear in mind that the morning's first three Manchester trains will have left before it reopens at 0700, and I've heard of people getting off a punctual southbound Lowlander to find it not quite ready for business.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I think it opens a little earlier now but I wouldn't be a happy sleeper passenger. But yes when I have used the Southbound service you nearly always have to sit and wait for the lounge to open. Then race for the shower.

deltic

Established Member
Usage late at night seems minimal when I have used it before boarding the sleeper - I think it now opens at 6.45 in the morning

Failed Unit

Established Member
I tend to board the train as early as i can. I recall they kept it open at Waverley until 2am one morning until the train showed up. Which was well received.

Amy Worrall

Usage late at night seems minimal when I have used it before boarding the sleeper

I would use it late at night if it opened! I fairly frequently get the last train to Coventry, and often have a wait. But because I know I'll be turfed out of the lounge, I usually don't bother going there…

boxy321

The New Street lounge shuts at 19:45 in the week, with the coffee machine often getting cleaned out before then! Anything after that, All Bar One would have to be your 'lounge'.

Status
Not open for further replies.