• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains invests £21m on East Coast stock refurbishment (Now includes pictures!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes had a refurbished Mk3 today and the recline function wasn't fully operational. It didn't like staying fully upright and always slid slightly into the reclined position. Not the worst example I've ever had but hardly brilliant either!

Marton

At least half the refurbished MkIVs I have used have either dodgy arm rests or broken recline functions.

Appears to be all image and minimal substance, but Hey-Ho its Virgin, so it must be good.

najaB

Veteran Member
Appears to be all image and minimal substance, but Hey-Ho its Virgin, so it must be good.
As pointed out up-thread, the majority of the stock is going to be replaced starting in less than 12 months so there's no point in spending a lot of money on anything more than a deep clean, tightening the loose bolts and re-upholstering.

Internal refurbs are nice. But half the sets I've been on recently needed attention to dampers which meant the coaches hunting badly at speed - both vertical and lateral

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Starmill

Veteran Member
As pointed out up-thread, the majority of the stock is going to be replaced starting in less than 12 months so there's no point in spending a lot of money on anything more than a deep clean, tightening the loose bolts and re-upholstering.

Which is strange because they have gone quite a bit beyond that...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The amount of seats that have their recliners broken also is a bit shocking.

Can't be any worse than the much newer OeBB/CD RailJet stock, on which the recliners are broken on *all* First Class seats (if indeed they ever worked), and are incapable of holding the seat back upright under the slightest amount of pressure.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Internal refurbs are nice. But half the sets I've been on recently needed attention to dampers which meant the coaches hunting badly at speed - both vertical and lateral

Yes, I've experienced issues with Mk4 ride recently.

FQTV

As of today all of the HST sets are now fully refurbished

Were I a Corbynista on the floor of this HST, I would be able to confirm that this particular carriage is ram-packed with old seats and curtains.

Were I a Bransonista, I would be no doubt be dancing on the revinylled tables about the new carpet and sidewalls.

Were I a Horneista, I would be able to further admit that my proximity to the toilet allows me to see that there's new wallpaper in the washroom, showing a balloon over Glencoe. Although I probably won't mention that it's PhotoShop fake.

What's truly stunning is that my recline mechanism works. :D.

gavin

29 sets are now refurbished

This includes all 16 HST sets and 13 225 sets

Which leaves around 18 225 sets left to be refurbished

On Moderation

If 13 Mark 4 sets have been done then there's 17 left to do. There were 31 sets built but one set was written off at Great Heck.

FQTV

As I noted above, the HST set that I travelled on was not fully-refurbished.

Status
Not open for further replies.