• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains invests £21m on East Coast stock refurbishment (Now includes pictures!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinterMan

Established Member
There is an actual VTEC refurbished set which is now covering the NL65 diagram. This will remain on this diagram until NL65 has received it's own refurb.

The VTEC set covering will also have the EMT power cars to allow them to return to Neville Hill each day. NL65 is remaining with Virgin for the time being and is currently receiving a refurb similar to EC64, pictures on other thread.

Can I have a link to the EC64 pictures please, for the life of me I cannot find them :P

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MonsooN

I'll be getting a VTEC from KGX to Newcastle tomorrow afternoon so I'm hoping I'll get one of the refurbs.

My work booked me the tickets, but they mistakenly booked me a Super Off Peak, which means I'll have to leave the office at lunch time instead of later afternoon! Ha Ha! :D

TheBerry

picture.php

picture.php

Credit to the owner, these look like they were taken during refurb.

TheBerry

They look like IC70 seats. Would this be the EMT loaned set, or are we going back to the past?

This is EC64 the ex-EMT set which was transferred to EC some years ago. NL65 will be receive a very similar update. Both sets are the same although NL65 had some extra luggage racks (also being removed now)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh that's a positive as it's been a bit of a let down compared to the rest of the fleet that standard doesn't have sockets.

Polarbear

Established Member
Why did you take the slower train?

It was on the Highland Chieftain (and also the train i'd booked my super-duper cheapo advance purchase ticket on). Don't think a 91 & Mk4 set would get much beyond the central belt on that run...!!:D

Last edited:

MonsooN

I'll be getting a VTEC from KGX to Newcastle tomorrow afternoon so I'm hoping I'll get one of the refurbs.

My work booked me the tickets, but they mistakenly booked me a Super Off Peak, which means I'll have to leave the office at lunch time instead of later afternoon! Ha Ha! :D

I did get a refurb! :D

The seats were noticeably more comfortable and you could tell they'd been re-padded. I usually have a numb bum by York, but was fine all the way today. The interiors are nice.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I dislike the fixed armrests on Standard IC70 seats, but the First Class ones look very nice indeed - they'd be less claustrophobic than the ex-GNER ones due to the lower backs.

futureA

Can someone remind why they are refurbishing these trains when they are going in the bin in a few years?

Domh245

Established Member
Can someone remind why they are refurbishing these trains when they are going in the bin in a few years?

Virgin are very brand focused. They feel that they can improve public appearance (or perhaps lessen negative perception) by refurbishing the interior to the level that would be expected of someone like them.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I very much doubt they will go in the bin any time soon. There are huge charter fleets of Mk2s which will probably be replaced with Mk3s, if nothing else (you can make Mk3s look old[1] with the right paint job). While Mk4s have plenty of possible uses.

[1] I know they are old. But they have a timeless look to them - most people think "old" = "Mk1".

Established Member
...While Mk4s have plenty of possible uses.

I know this discussion has been had many times (i.e. threads on what will happen to the 91s/Mk4 etc) but is that really true though? They will be 30 years old by 2019, and they are very heavy so have high track access charges which makes them financially unappealing. I'm also struggling to think of any possible uses, Chiltern perhaps but even that seems unlikely given how much money they've spent on their Mk3s, whilst Intercity services on the MML & in Anglia will probably receive new stock anyway.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
There are huge charter fleets of Mk2s which will probably be replaced with Mk3s, if nothing else (you can make Mk3s look old[1] with the right paint job).
Mk2 air-con charter stock could be replaced by mk3s yes, but a steam loco would look rather odd pulling air-con stock.

cambsy

On Moderation
Just tweeted Virgin East Coast about Plush Tush interiors and the say EC64 is Plush Tush, is this correct or what the inside like and is it Virgin or EMT livery? they also said now have 10 Plush Tush HST sets.

JaJaWa

Established Member
I think it is something about your browser settings - the images are hosted on Railforums and I can see them.

The images are definitely set in a way that prohibits some users from seeing them - would appreciate a re-upload :)

najaB

Veteran Member
The images are definitely set in a way that prohibits some users from seeing them - would appreciate a re-upload :)
Can you load them from these links?

Image one
Image two

Hmm... just tried the links from a different browser and they don't load so it's possible they are loading from cache for me.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
How about now... ?

Attachments

• user24934_pic3981_1465414882.jpg
    user24934_pic3981_1465414882.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 182
  • user24934_pic3980_1465414882.jpg
    user24934_pic3980_1465414882.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 172

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Mk2 air-con charter stock could be replaced by mk3s yes, but a steam loco would look rather odd pulling air-con stock.

At Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago I saw a Mk3 sleeper vehicle which had been converted to opening windows in a heritage rake as a support vehicle. The shallow windows with traditional sliding openers made it look *very* old-style - a bit reminiscent of a Met Camm coach/DMU. They could do that with the passenger coaches as well - and the wider bay spacing from the longer vehicles would no doubt be appreciated by passengers.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Because they desperately need it in my experience!

Exactly. The Mallard mods were done by GNER on the Mk4s (finished in 2006) and started by GNER and finished by NEEC on the HSTs (completed in 2009).

They are well overdue a refresh.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Exactly. The Mallard mods were done by GNER on the Mk4s (finished in 2006) and started by GNER and finished by NEEC on the HSTs (completed in 2009).

They are well overdue a refresh.

Actually the MK4s were refurbished between 2000 and 2005 and then the HST MK3s followed in 2007-2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.