• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Voyager Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Hello all, just a couple of questions about Voyagers :P

Does anyone know why Virgin have removed one of the coach end luggage racks from their Voyagers? There is just an empty space there now where people heap suitcases.

Is 220007 still running around with one of 221135's centre cars? Is there any estimate on how long the fire-damaged vehicle will take to repair?

How did XC increase the seating capacity of their Voyagers, as they seem to have more luggage racks in the coaches (in addition to the luggage van area) than Virgin's do. They also have a fair number of seats in some carriages without the reservation screens above them. How did this happen and why?

Why can XC's Voyagers carry less bikes than Virgin's? 3 fit in the luggage van on an XC 220/221 but VT's can take 4. Presumably XC now use the space in coach A to house the snack trolley and supplies. Is this correct?

What was the real reason for XC using the same fabric as Virgin on the standard class seats during the recent refurbishment? I have heard it was because of a surplus of the VT fabric at Barton, problems with the interior being too dim for people with impaired sight to see properly in, or XC being too cheap/lazy/busy (delete as appropriate) to repaint the grab handles, despite this being done on the 170s. Which is correct?

Are all Voyagers and Meridians running around with all engines in operation, as I heard mutterings that XC & EMT used to turn one of them off to save fuel.

Are there any booked XC Voyager workings to Leicester? They cover for 170s sometimes, but I don't think there are any booked workings.

Are there many XC workings booked for pairs of Voyagers (8/9/10 cars) where both sets are in use and not just making it easier to return sets to the depot?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards, Adam :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Are there many XC workings booked for pairs of Voyagers (8/9/10 cars) where both sets are in use and not just making it easier to return sets to the depot?

I was on a double XC Voyager last week (2x220).
I caught the 1142 Birmingham-Cheltenham (Manchester-Bristol) and the 1410 back (Plymouth-Dundee).
To my surprise the ex-Manchester unit was on the front of the Dundee service, and was advertised to come off at Newcastle.
It must have been attached at Bristol.

XC got rid of the shop to gain extra seating space.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Hello all, just a couple of questions about Voyagers :P

Does anyone know why Virgin have removed one of the coach end luggage racks from their Voyagers? There is just an empty space there now where people heap suitcases.

Is 220007 still running around with one of 221135's centre cars? Is there any estimate on how long the fire-damaged vehicle will take to repair?

How did XC increase the seating capacity of their Voyagers, as they seem to have more luggage racks in the coaches (in addition to the luggage van area) than Virgin's do. They also have a fair number of seats in some carriages without the reservation screens above them. How did this happen and why?

Why can XC's Voyagers carry less bikes than Virgin's? 3 fit in the luggage van on an XC 220/221 but VT's can take 4. Presumably XC now use the space in coach A to house the snack trolley and supplies. Is this correct?

What was the real reason for XC using the same fabric as Virgin on the standard class seats during the recent refurbishment? I have heard it was because of a surplus of the VT fabric at Barton, problems with the interior being too dim for people with impaired sight to see properly in, or XC being too cheap/lazy/busy (delete as appropriate) to repaint the grab handles, despite this being done on the 170s. Which is correct?

Are all Voyagers and Meridians running around with all engines in operation, as I heard mutterings that XC & EMT used to turn one of them off to save fuel.

Are there any booked XC Voyager workings to Leicester? They cover for 170s sometimes, but I don't think there are any booked workings.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards, Adam :D

Think I can provide a couple of answers. 1. On XC removal of most of the tables probably allowed seats to be repositioned closer together on the seat rails to create extra space for more seats/additional luggage rack etc. 2. When the shop was removed and the space converted to luggage/cycle storage etc. the previous cycle space in coach A was converted to a trolley/Catering store with a small food prep area and microwave oven. Lastly luggage space in 1st Class on XC Voyagers was also improved slightly with the removal of the litter bins that were placed between the seat backs when first introduced, preventing suitcases being placed there.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They also have a fair number of seats in some carriages without the reservation screens above them. How did this happen and why?

[XC]
The seats without reservation screens were fitted in areas that previously held larger luggage racks. Although it may look as though they have more racks than VWC I don't think it would be right to say XC have more luggage racks than the original layout, much of their extra seating capacity replaced racks that were previously spaced around the carriages.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
1. On XC removal of most of the tables probably allowed seats to be repositioned closer together on the seat rails to create extra space for more seats/additional luggage rack etc.

Other than in Coach D which had more tables added by VT the XC and VT Voyagers have the same number of tables in each carriage...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Have now found an original (Virgin) seating plan before all the alterations for comparison, attached below, you'll immediately see that coaches B and C both had fairly large end luggage stowages, and there were others spread throughout the carriages, but IIRC weren't some of them just open plan areas without shelves, so not as useful as the luggage racks we have today?

The current XC layout is here: http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/media/61862/voyager_seat_plan.pdf

Attachments

• Voyager original.jpg
    Voyager original.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
you'll immediately see that coaches B and C both had fairly large end luggage stowages, and there were others spread throughout the carriages, but IIRC weren't some of them just open plan areas without shelves, so not as useful as the luggage racks we have today?

Virgin removed seats 5 and 6 from coaches B and C when they had the XC Voyagers, to improve luggage space. You had a proper luggage rack opposite seats 3/4 and then a blank space opposite seats 7/8.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Virgin removed seats 5 and 6 from coaches B and C when they had the XC Voyagers, to improve luggage space. You had a proper luggage rack opposite seats 3/4 and then a blank space opposite seats 7/8.

Yes that rings a bell now; and perhaps that's the explanation for that layout having coaches B&C described as having 62 seats, with only 60 shown in the drawing...

Jonfun

Established Member
Can help you with a few XC related ones.

Yeah, 60885 is still in 220007.

Fewer bike spaces on XC is just a quirk of the layout of the large luggage space, which is located in coach D.
The trolley stowage/standard class catering area is located in coach F, not A.

No idea on seat moquette, I'm afraid.

XC 5 car 221s often run on 4 engines to try and reduce their fuel usage and carbon footprint, as you can manage fine on 4.

There are a few booked double Voyager runs, FO 1445 Bournemouth to Manchester Picc (I think that's right, anyway) springs to mind off the top of my head.

Cheers

Jon

Carlisle

Established Member
Lastly luggage space in 1st Class on XC Voyagers was also improved slightly with the removal of the litter bins that were placed between the seat backs when first introduced, preventing suitcases being placed there.

Those between seat litter bins were removed in all coaches on Voyagers towards the end of the period when all still belonged to Virgin XC

Last edited:

Minilad

Established Member
The experiment with engines on XC is now over. There are no engines isolated for fuel saving now. If an engine is isolated it's because of a fault.
There are no booked Voyagers to Leicester
220007 is still missformed. I believe the original estimate for repair was 6-8 months

fgwrich

Established Member
The experiment with engines on XC is now over. There are no engines isolated for fuel saving now. If an engine is isolated it's because of a fault.
There are no booked Voyagers to Leicester
220007 is still missformed. I believe the original estimate for repair was 6-8 months

Interesting, and thanks for clearing that up. I did see a 4 car pass through Micheldever earlier running on 3 engines, with a blowing sounding Turbo to boot.

Haven't the Cummins QSK19s been down rated slightly on all the Voyager Fleets to capitalise on fuel savings - Down from 750HP to 700HP?

387star

On Moderation
Excellent set of questions many of which have long bugged me
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Other than in Coach D which had more tables added by VT the XC and VT Voyagers have the same number of tables in each carriage...
I'm surprised as I am sure XC removed many table seats to create more airline seats

Virgin had luggage racks in the middle of the train often against a window <D

XC only have them at the coach ends probably replacing seats that in turn replaced table seats

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm surprised as I am sure XC removed many table seats to create more airline seats

Check the current seating plans for both, they show the same number of tables in each carriage (other than D on VT). Someone linked to an old VT seating chart which showed more tables than are currently fitted. But that just means that XC and VT have removed tables from their trains (though I guess because of Coach D overall VT still have more on most of their Voyager services).

SprinterMan

Established Member
The splitting of the Voyager fleet between XC and WC services is definitely a good idea then, as the routes have different seating requirements and both XC and VT have done the intelligent thing, good on them :) Still a shame Voyagers aren't longer though.

Adam :D

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

They didn't remove table seats, but they did move them around and take out the luggage racks in order to cram more airline seats in. Not all airline seats on XC Voyagers have been allocated a seat number.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They didn't remove table seats, but they did move them around and take out the luggage racks in order to cram more airline seats in. Not all airline seats on XC Voyagers have been allocated a seat number.

Comparison of the current and original seating plans I posted earlier suggests XC trains have had quite a few tables removed from the standard class C and D though, only B and C staying the same?

B was 4 still 4
C was 4 now 2
D was 5 now 2
E was 2 still 2

Status
Not open for further replies.