• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wabtec Awarded Contract For £60M Class 321 Refurbishment Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

D365

Veteran Member
So can this be coupled to standard 321's?

or will this be avoided due to the differences in acceleration capabilities between units to save strain being placed on couplers etc.?

Going by this picture, I'm fairly sure that it can be coupled ;)

In any case, the 'Renatus' 321 will be software limited I believe.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrPIC

Logic would dictate that coupling between Renatus and standard Bins can and will happen - SWT's 455s are being retractioned and mixed sets crop up there. I only saw it as a single unit so I can't be 100% certain.

When 317 722 was actually working that was regularly coupled to other normal 317's even though that had AC motors and regen brakes. It made for a terrible ride as the two units fought each other on braking and acceleration but obviously nobody seemed bothered enough to keep it on its own non multi diagram

smudga331

When 317 722 was actually working that was regularly coupled to other normal 317's even though that had AC motors and regen brakes. It made for a terrible ride as the two units fought each other on braking and acceleration but obviously nobody seemed bothered enough to keep it on its own non multi diagram

I popped to Colchester the other day and was on an 8-car 321 between Manningtree and Colchester, sat in the coupled cars and the banging and clanging was incredible. My thinking is surely if you have 2 units with different acceleration capabilities, surely this will be even worse?

As it happened I caught a ride on 321303 from Harwich to Manningtree the following day and can honestly say, when it accelerated (what seemed) fairly hard between Wrabness and Mistley, I noticed no appreciable difference in acceleration, but that was obviously only up to around 60mph. Obviously I don't know how hard it was being pushed, but it didnt seem an awful lot different. It didn't thrust me into my seat like a 360 but maybe I'm expecting too much. However, the Interior seems nice, Disabled toilet door was broken already but all in all, I like their work.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
I popped to Colchester the other day and was on an 8-car 321 between Manningtree and Colchester, sat in the coupled cars and the banging and clanging was incredible. My thinking is surely if you have 2 units with different acceleration capabilities, surely this will be even worse?

As it happened I caught a ride on 321303 from Harwich to Manningtree the following day and can honestly say, when it accelerated (what seemed) fairly hard between Wrabness and Mistley, I noticed no appreciable difference in acceleration, but that was obviously only up to around 60mph. Obviously I don't know how hard it was being pushed, but it didnt seem an awful lot different. It didn't thrust me into my seat like a 360 but maybe I'm expecting too much. However, the Interior seems nice, Disabled toilet door was broken already but all in all, I like their work.
Is it in service now I'll go looking for it in 2 weeks time:)

MatthewRead

On Moderation
You are a brave man hoping it will last that long if 448 is anything to go by !!
I thought 448 proved to be successful hence the purpose for retractioning the other units it's 317 722 that's proven to be a failure which is now going to see the end of the 317 fleet:cry:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
They do look rather nice inside compared to what they were like before, but I'll reserve judgement on them fully until I have been on one of them.

Are those luggage racks overhead sloped downwards to prevent stuff falling off? From the photos they look level and not sloped, but maybe it's just the angle the photo is taken at.

Only disappointment is the destination display still looks like it has been plastered around with white tape and then stuck on the front. Would look much better if it was black round it rather than white.

Last edited:

sheepy1991

The reason it didnt feel any different is because 321303 has not been re-tractioned. It is still running on the same traction package it has always had. 321448 is still being tested before the AC pack can be signed off for the production versions.

smudga331

The reason it didnt feel any different is because 321303 has not been re-tractioned. It is still running on the same traction package it has always had. 321448 is still being tested before the AC pack can be signed off for the production versions.

I see, I heard the AC buzzing sound in the end carriages and assumed it had been retractioned. No problem :)

smudga331

448 also had that prior to the traction package being changed - I believe it's extra inverters to run the A/C etc

I see, so 448 has the new AC traction package? Does anybody know if this is out and about in service at the moment? Might go for a little Jolly and find it if so. :lol:

EssexGonzo

I see, so 448 has the new AC traction package? Does anybody know if this is out and about in service at the moment? Might go for a little Jolly and find it if so. :lol:

If you mean the Eversholt liveried set, it was at the back of the Ilford depot this morning.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I haven't seen 448 back in service yet. I would be grateful if anyone here knows the proposed diagrams for 303 when it returns to the GEML rather than working branches - curious to see how it compares to 448 in terms of actual passenger comfort...

EssexGonzo

I haven't seen 448 back in service yet. I would be grateful if anyone here knows the proposed diagrams for 303 when it returns to the GEML rather than working branches - curious to see how it compares to 448 in terms of actual passenger comfort...

It was the front of a 12-coach train this morning - I saw it on the 0826 from Shenfield to Liverpool Street, originated at Southend Vic.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Good to know, that's actually a service I've used in the past (although not one I use regularly) - I'll have to keep an eye out for it as I'm currently using that route daily in the evening peak. Odd that there's been no fanfare about its return or 303 for that matter, given the twitter team made a fair song and dance about its original appearance and indeed that of the refurbished Mk3s (back when there was only one in a whole rake!).

iphone76

One of the refurbished units was working today's 16:10 Southend Vic to Liverpool Street and then the 17:25 Liv St to Southend.

It was OK, however, it was very bright, and the door release and closing chimes were very, very loud.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Damn, I was 40 minutes late :P

Door chimes retrofitted to all old stock are a bit lame in my opinion, they're not terrible but they are excessive in both volume and duration, at least on the 455s, 319s etc. 321448 was the same originally, can't speculate on 321303 yet. The ones on 700s seem to be the same but the duration has been cut down to a much more reasonable level. Given that they had to change the pitch of the ones on the original Desiro UK units I can only assume there's some overly strict PRM-TSI requirement for the pitch of the door release sound, annoying as on a route with a large number of stops the release chimes I would much prefer something like on the 95TS/96TS - far less abrasive.

Goldfish62

Established Member

Door chimes retrofitted to all old stock are a bit lame in my opinion, they're not terrible but they are excessive in both volume and duration, at least on the 455s, 319s etc. 321448 was the same originally, can't speculate on 321303 yet. The ones on 700s seem to be the same but the duration has been cut down to a much more reasonable level. Given that they had to change the pitch of the ones on the original Desiro UK units I can only assume there's some overly strict PRM-TSI requirement for the pitch of the door release sound, annoying as on a route with a large number of stops the release chimes I would much prefer something like on the 95TS/96TS - far less abrasive.

The prize for being OTT has to go to the ear splitting ones on the 458s.

iphone76

I'll let you know if I see it on my travels into London this evening.

Shunter_69

303 has gone to Wolverton this morning. Not sure why. It did fail in service the other day but couldn't have been anything major as it set off on its travels by itself.

DasLunatic

303 has gone to Wolverton this morning. Not sure why. It did fail in service the other day but couldn't have been anything major as it set off on its travels by itself.

When I saw it, it still had Abellio Greater Anglia in and on it - perhaps it's gone to be "de-Abellioed"? It wouldn't be the traction pack as that's done in Doncaster, is it not?

nxea321446

gone for retractioning to be like 448
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
321311 arrived in doncaster this evening for its renatus refurbishment

Wivenswold

Established Member
Down there? I hope you're not driving to Doncaster from Brentwood anytime soon.

I think 311 makes it 6 up there in Donnie, including the recently returned 303 and 448.

Alfie1014

Down there? I hope you're not driving to Doncaster from Brentwood anytime soon.

I think 311 makes it 6 up there in Donnie, including the recently returned 303 and 448.

Five I think;

448 prototype (re-tractioned)
303 at Wolverton for retractioning
304 Donny
321 Donny
311 Donny

On an other forum there was a suggestion that a GTR 321 was about to come over from Hornsey now that a fair few 387s are over there and in traffic?

nxea321446

Five I think;

448 prototype (re-tractioned)
303 at Wolverton for retractioning
304 Donny
321 Donny
311 Donny

On an other forum there was a suggestion that a GTR 321 was about to come over from Hornsey now that a fair few 387s are over there and in traffic?

321301 at doncaster aswell

Status
Not open for further replies.