• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wakefield Westgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I‘ve seen it being built, but hadn‘t realised it was about to open.

They‘ve only just done out the down side buildings, so it would be a waste of money if they were to flatten them.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Calling it a 'new station' is slightly misleading- It's a new main building for the existing station, but slightly further down the line than the previous inadequate 1970s building. Means a slightly shorter walk for anyone with reservations in coach A at least...

I had thought that there were plans for a new bay for the Kirkgate services, though presumably that hasn't happened yet.

Starmill

Veteran Member
'Located just to the north of the old station' - the platforms are unmoved! I don't think the person who wrote that has a clue.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
What exactly is inaccurate about that statement?

They have built a new, and much better, station building. So I guess for the folks of Wakefield will think it is new until they enter the platforms. But the article suggests that the entire station is new- it's just poor journalism and spin, but what more should we expect from a small weekly local rag?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Both websites have used similar wording, it is a cut and paste job from the EC website http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/wakefield.

How do you define "new station" though? The station buildings are new, the footbridge is new, the car park is new. The platforms are where they always were, but that's about it. Everything else is new.

People talk of the new Kings Cross, and rightly so. This is no different.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Does the "new" station actually provide anything new in terms of operating flexibility or passenger facilities, or would the money have been better spent providing a genuinely new station from the West Yorkshire wish list.

JohnB57

They have built a new, and much better, station building. So I guess for the folks of Wakefield will think it is new until they enter the platforms. But the article suggests that the entire station is new- it's just poor journalism and spin, but what more should we expect from a small weekly local rag?
The vast majority of readers couldn't care less about the platforms, but will, I imagine be delighted at the improvements in the facilities. Myself included.

I don't think the omission of the word "building" constitutes "poor journalism and spin" in what is after all a non-industry publication. There are much better targets out there for pedants' corner and this is actually rather good news.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Does the "new" station actually provide anything new in terms of operating flexibility or passenger facilities, or would the money have been better spent providing a genuinely new station from the West Yorkshire wish list.

To be fair, the old Westgate building was pretty much unfit for purpose, and based on the photos I've seen the new one looks loads better. I mentioned earlier the mooted South-facing bay for terminating services from the Kirkgate curve, though this hasn't been provided in these new works. Hopefully passive provision (or at least nothing that renders it impossible) has been made.

As for whether the money would have been better spent on something else (Low Moor/'Horbury & Ossett Parkway'/Horbury Curve), that's not for me to say!

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

Step free access to the northbound platform is a pretty good improvement

Chapeltom

Established Member
I think the words 'new station' are misleading too, it makes it sound as if the platforms have moved 300 yards rather than the actual building.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
As for whether the money would have been better spent on something else (Low Moor/'Horbury & Ossett Parkway'/Horbury Curve), that's not for me to say!

Ah, but it is, hence why we have a forum. Most genuine improvements seem to stumble on the basis that "it would be a good thing, but we can't justify the capital expenditure". On this basis, it seems the wrong priority to be replacing a working station with one with almost identical facilities (although as you mention, if a bay platform does come to pass, that could be quite useful and I would review my scepticism).

High Dyke

Established Member
What exactly is inaccurate about that statement?
Incomplete information. The word unaltered should have been used instead of unmoved when talking of the platforms; it makes it sound as though they have emotions.

The final part regarding
I don't think the person who wrote that has a clue.
Well it is the press we are considering here...:roll:

pdq

I assume there's now a lift so that it is possible to cross the line without either climbing the stairs or waiting for the station staff to allow you over the tracks. And hopefully one can now wait for a London bound train in a relatively warm, draught - free environment.

Chris125

Established Member
There are some photo's on Flickr - looks great to me, just need to get the extended canopies finished now.

Chris

455driver

Veteran Member

Noe the new buildings are in use they might demolish the old ones and put the bay there.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Does anyone know if they've moved the stop boards for the Leeds direction platform? Previously trains would stop at the rear of the platform which was closest to the entrance/exit. If they've not moved them then you could have a fair old trek to get to some trains!

HowardGWR

Established Member
What really impresses me about Wakefield is that the free circular bus is to be retained, enabling transfer between the two stations, neither of which are in the centre. How I wish other cities (my gripe is Bristol) would have the same.

AndyHudds

Looks well nifty. I too thought there was going to be a new bay platform for the Huddersfield service as it has to disappear up into the siding a mile or so away whilst it awaits its slot for the return journey.

noddingdonkey

The main issue is that (if the diagram on Wikipedia is accurate) the Kirkgate services have to cross over the Doncaster-bound line to get onto the Leeds-bound platform to be able to get into the sidings. This must cause a bottleneck, especially during disruption.

JohnB57

The main issue is that (if the diagram on Wikipedia is accurate) the Kirkgate services have to cross over the Doncaster-bound line to get onto the Leeds-bound platform to be able to get into the sidings. This must cause a bottleneck, especially during disruption.
It's impossible to isolate the Kirkgate services from the Doncaster/Kings Cross line as they would have to either cross or share (wrong line) to access either the existing siding or a new bay, pretty much as happens now. Widening to three or four tracks is not a viable option.

Mugby

Established Member
Presumably the new entrance building is fine for people arriving by car or taxi (or the free bus) but not so convenient for foot passengers walking from the city centre along Westgate. Is there a short cut to the new entrance?

Crossover

Established Member
I have seen the new building going up - I also didn't realise it was opening so soon. Seems to have happened rather quickly!

So I guess this brings with it the end of the barrow crossing that has existed for so long at the station.

Yes, that diagram looks accurate. What tends to happen is the services from Huddersfield terminate on the Up platform (London bound) then runs (effectively) wrong line out to the sidings with the use of a shunt signal at the Leeds end of that platform.

They then run back ECS into the Leeds bound platform, departing on the Huddersfield bound service under a main aspect, cross over to the Up line and onto the chord to Kirkgate.

I have seen them work the other way too, terminating in the Down platform and heading back out from the Up platform.

I suspect this odd arrangement allows the terminating service to come in at the same time as a Leeds bound service. Of course, when it goes wrong, this local all shacks tends to suffer

Bantamzen

Established Member
It's looking nice, far better than the days when I used to commute through there! I must admit though, the "Keep to the left" signage on the stairs & floors is a bit optimistic, especially when there's a rush for a Leeds bound service at peak times! And I wonder if First Class passengers will be happy having to walk all the way back down the platform for the KX services? ;)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I wouldn't say either of Wakefield's stations are far from the main city centre areas really, especially compared to certain other places (Taunton springs to mind). A free shuttle bus linking Bristol's mainline stations would be far, far longer a route than Wakefield!
As for the future bay, the main advantage would be the removal of the need to shunt to the sidings to vacate the through platforms- meaning the Kirkgate-Knottingley service could serve Westgate as well as the Huddersfields.

Status
Not open for further replies.