• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Warmest Underground Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I remember being told that the highest recorded temperature below ground on the underground was at Paddington on the Bakerloo. Does anyone know if this is actually true?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteamontheMet

I'm not so sure, I've been in 40C heat at Covent Garden during the peak of summer (mid July).

The new 09 stock on the Victoria line pump out a lot of heat due to Air Conditioning, but I think they may have solved that.
I remember how Oxford Circus used to be very warm on the platforms before they began experimenting with pumping cool water along the outside of the tunnel walls (me thinks??)

Found this on BBC from 2009, says the Central and Bakerloo recorded highest temperatures.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8218059.stm

Last edited:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I always find the Central Line very hot and stuffy, even in the winter, although this doesn't seem to be quite as bad since the 1992 stock was refurbished.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The new 09 stock on the Victoria line pump out a lot of heat due to Air Conditioning, but I think they may have solved that.

The 09 Stock doesn't have air conditioning. I thought the heat coming off those trains was something to do with the brakes, something that has been (at least partially) resolved through regen. braking.

SteamontheMet

The 09 Stock doesn't have air conditioning. I thought the heat coming off those trains was something to do with the brakes, something that has been (at least partially) resolved through regen. braking.

Must be confused with the 'S' stock. Anyways I've always had a warm and uncomfortable experience on the 09 Vicky stock!

N Levers

I remember being told that the highest recorded temperature below ground on the underground was at Paddington on the Bakerloo. Does anyone know if this is actually true?

I remember seeing a map on the hottest parts and if I recall it was the bakerloo between Paddington and Marylebone/Baker Street.

tom1649

I always find the Central Line very hot and stuffy, even in the winter, although this doesn't seem to be quite as bad since the 1992 stock was refurbished.

I wouldn't really describe it as a refurbishment by LUL standards. More of a refresh.

Statto

Established Member
Remember when i was visiting London in 2006, time of the heatwave in mid to end of July that year, walked into the ticket hall at Victoria 10pm & immediately felt the humidity, by the time i got to the Circle line platform i was drenched in sweat.

I've wondered why it's so warm on London Underground stations below ground, when my local Merseyrail Underground stations the air is quite cold when a train is approaching the station?

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
The reason that people would say the Bakerloo was hottest was due to it being a single ended route with no exit. The Northern line though longer tunnels had an exit at each end while the Victoria Line was supposed to have better ventilation. On reflection though the Bakerloo does have an exit at the South end up to London Road depot but I do recall the Elephant & Castle being stifling in the Summer months - especially down the sidings where they had a mosquito problem.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've wondered why it's so warm on London Underground stations below ground, when my local Merseyrail Underground stations the air is quite cold when a train is approaching the station?

Number of people and density of train service maybe or possibly the rising water table (one could actually hear fast flowing water at some locations) has a cooling effect.

tsr

Established Member
From extensive personal experience of Tube journeys in Zone 1 (during periods of almost every conceivable type of British weather outside, bar tornados*), the hottest bits are Green Park-Oxford Circus on the Victoria Line, around Chancery Lane and Liverpool Street on the Central Line and just South of Regents Park on the Bakerloo Line. I'm not exactly sure which are the "stuffiest" bits, as it seems to vary (IMO).

*Yes, I did just mention those.

trivran

Chancery Lane, hot? Liverpool Street and Bethnal Green yes, but I've never found Chancery Lane to be a place where I can sweat from sitting on the platform.

Established Member
The Victoria line is particularly bad, especially with the 2009 Stock's wonderful design feature of blowing hot air straight into the carriages...

Apart from that I've always found the Northern line to be the worst for heat.

BigVince76

I seem to remember reading a few years ago that LUL had fitted out a special cooling train to run through the tunnels and try and cool them down. Am I misremembering this and if not does it still exist?

Dstock7080

Established Member
I seem to remember reading a few years ago that LUL had fitted out a special cooling train to run through the tunnels and try and cool them down. Am I misremembering this and if not does it still exist?
Unfortunately you are mistaken and such a train does not exist.

Aictos

Established Member
Any non air conditioned train so at the moment that restricts it to any route not using S Stock ;)

gazzak

As an apprentice on the tube I worked in a lot of tunnels during non service hours and the Northern line was always the warmest by far, (at any time of year).

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Bakerloo and Victoria were terrible last July, I remember taking the bus, which took forever, just to avoid using them they were that bad, I was drinking so much water it was incredible, must have been at least 40C under there, there were announcements at every station advising people to make sure they had water with them!

Central line is always bad at weekends too, although I figure that's normally because it's jammed with the circle and district always closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.