• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Washed rail rover ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

strange6

Established Member
I left my fonw 7day rover in my shirt pocket (it was protected by a wallet) and put it in the wash. The writing is still perfectly readable on it but I'm worried it will not go through an automatic barrier now when it has dried out! Can the purchasing ticket office print me a fresh one if i surrender it to them?
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Just show it to the manual gate staff. How readable is it? I don't think you can exchange it, unless you return to the station bought from and enquire.

sonic2009

Established Member
I may be wrong about the exchange. But if its.readable then guards should know what it is.

TEW

Established Member
Barriers always have to be monitored, either by staff who can let you through if you show your ticket or by video link in some locations. There should be a button you can press for assistance, and staff will only be in another part of the station and will be able to open the barriers for you.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I don't think you can exchange it, unless you return to the station bought from and enquire.
If the Season Ticket or Travelcard is still legible then it can be replaced at any station's ticket office within the area of its validity, free of charge.

If it is not legible, then the issuing station MAY replace it if there is adequate evidence to show that it was issued there.

Just started using a North County Rover today, tried it at Leeds auto barriers and it didn't work.

Guy manning told me not to use any barriers with the rover always ask to be let out.

Crossover

Established Member
Just started using a North County Rover today, tried it at Leeds auto barriers and it didn't work.

Guy manning told me not to use any barriers with the rover always ask to be let out.

Probably wise words...can be a bit hairy wondering whether it will decide to give you it back or not!

strange6

Established Member
If the Season Ticket or Travelcard is still legible then it can be replaced at any station's ticket office within the area of its validity, free of charge.

If it is not legible, then the issuing station MAY replace it if there is adequate evidence to show that it was issued there.

Thanks. I'll try tomorrow. All the numbers are clear as crystal but it's kind of got dog eared now :)

ashworth

Established Member
I used a 7 Day NW Rover at the beginning of August and never once tried to put it through a barrier. My experience after using them for a number of years is that most, if not all barriers, will not accept them.
The only people who in the past have tried to make me put it through the barrier have been the staff at Blackpool North, but even they believed me that it wouldn't work this year and let me through manually.
This year I purchased my 7 Day Rover at Nottingham before setting off to the NW and they actually advised me, when they sold it to me, not to try to put the ticket through barriers.

strange6

Established Member
I used a 7 Day NW Rover at the beginning of August and never once tried to put it through a barrier. My experience after using them for a number of years is that most, if not all barriers, will not accept them.
The only people who in the past have tried to make me put it through the barrier have been the staff at Blackpool North, but even they believed me that it wouldn't work this year and let me through manually.
This year I purchased my 7 Day Rover at Nottingham before setting off to the NW and they actually advised me, when they sold it to me, not to try to put the ticket through barriers.

Cheers! I'll only come across the barriers at Southport and their staff are always friendly enough! :)

ashworth

Established Member
Cheers! I'll only come across the barriers at Southport and their staff are always friendly enough! :)

I remember the staff at Southport being especially friendly when I visited last month. They let me through the barrier manually when I arrived and when I returned, a couple of hours later, they had remembered me, and let me straight through without even looking at my ticket. I have also found the staff at Merseyrail stations in central Liverpool very friendly.

Having used these tickets once or twice a year for about the last 8 years I have found most on train staff also very friendly towards me when using these tickets. Northern rail conductors are particularly friendly and seem pleased to see someone using a rover.

The only staff that I have ever had problems with in the past have been the barrier staff at Blackpool North, which I used every day, as I was staying with friends there. In previous years they just seem to view you at best as an inconvenience or have been positively rude, treating me like an idiot who does not know how the use the barriers. One year, on my last day of travel, I was greated with the words 'Thank goodness it's your last day'. I'd never done anything to upset them as I had always been very polite, even when they were indifferent with me. This year, most of them were fairly friendly, so I think they must have all been to charm school! It helped by keeping my ticket firmly in a plastic wallet, so they thought it was a longer period season ticket. I still found one who tried to insist that I put it through the barrier.

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Whenever I have had a rover or ranger I have never even tried to use automatic gsates or barriers.

If the ticket is still legible, it should be OK, but a member of rail staff may advise seeing if it can be replaced once they have seen it. It depends on how bad it looks, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.