• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wasps on food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Not entirely related, but I do once recall a teacher at my school biting into a sandwich and swallowing a wasp by accident, which still makes me wary about eating school food!!

I feel that, whether this is legal or otherwise, staff should try to ensure that their food is kept free from all bugs! If a wasp can come in and walk all over the food, surely a fly could do the same (albeit, the consequences would be potentially much much greater!) Regardless of the insect in question, this is a potential health and safety risk, and is an awful advert for the company (no matter how nice the cake looks, if I see some wasps crawling over it through the window, I will immediately be put off from buying it!

fowler9

Established Member
When it does kill you. Bit late then......

So I mean what? Wrap yourself up in your house in bubble wrap to completely eliminate risk? I work in housing and the number of people who seem to feel it is impossible to exist without central heating, or an oven or with having a wasps nest in the garden is incredible. I'm not even ancient, I'm 42. What is wrong with people?

tspaul26

Established Member
Anyway the only reason we worry about insects is that we can see them unlike the millions of bacteria, fungal spores, microscopic invertebrates etc. which are floating in the air around us all the time.

Ah, so the Austrian insects are a smokescreen. It's actually the germs we need to be wary of and we all know where they come from: Germany.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I wonder how many of us have picked and eaten wild blackberries when out for a walk, I do it a lot at this time of year. Just imagine all the insects, spiders, slugs etc. which would have crawled and slithered over them not to mention their exposure to the bodily fluids of various passing animals. I always lick them clean before eating them.

What about PYO strawberries and people sneakily scoffing a few before having their punnets weighed ("Have you ever had your punnets weighed missus?") of course they are less of a problem because they're probably protected with a film of powerful insecticide.

Howardh

Established Member
Probably far more bactreia land on the cake in a millisecond than when a wasp lands! If that bit of the cake is scraped off, job done?

Anyhow, I'd love to know, on average (and especially asleep) how many flies, spiders and other crawly-creepies do we digest in a lifetime?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not entirely related, but I do once recall a teacher at my school biting into a sandwich and swallowing a wasp by accident, which still makes me wary about eating school food!!

I feel that, whether this is legal or otherwise, staff should try to ensure that their food is kept free from all bugs! If a wasp can come in and walk all over the food, surely a fly could do the same (albeit, the consequences would be potentially much much greater!) Regardless of the insect in question, this is a potential health and safety risk, and is an awful advert for the company (no matter how nice the cake looks, if I see some wasps crawling over it through the window, I will immediately be put off from buying it!

The old "extra wasp on your sandwich, sir?" thing happened to me in Holmfirth a few years ago. I lived to tell the tale of course, just suffered a swollen cheek and a horribly bitter aftertaste.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I wonder how many of us have picked and eaten wild blackberries when out for a walk, I do it a lot at this time of year. Just imagine all the insects, spiders, slugs etc. which would have crawled and slithered over them not to mention their exposure to the bodily fluids of various passing animals. I always lick them clean before eating them.

There may be a slight flaw with your cunning plan...

Bevan Price

Established Member
A lot of wasps lay eggs inside other insects; the subsequent grubs grow by eating said insects from the inside. However they are probably too small to cause major damage to humans, but I would avoid food if I thought it might have been contaminated by wasp eggs.

DaleCooper

Established Member
A lot of wasps lay eggs inside other insects; the subsequent grubs grow by eating said insects from the inside. However they are probably too small to cause major damage to humans, but I would avoid food if I thought it might have been contaminated by wasp eggs.

This is just scaremongering, everybody reading this thread is thinking of the common wasp (Vespula vulgaris) the familiar black and yellow striped insect. Only the queen of this species lays eggs and then in a carefully constructed nest, the wasps we usually see are foraging workers which do not lay any eggs anywhere. The various species of wasp which lay eggs in insect larvae (not on fruit, cakes nor sandwiches) are solitary creatures which look very different from the common wasp and most people would probably not recognise them, nor refer to them, as wasps.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I hope you're being paid well, you are doing a good job!

Not good enough I'm afraid, I forgot to mention that the highly acidic environment of the human stomach will quickly kill and digest any insects, their eggs or larvae, that's what stomachs do. Tapeworms are a different story.

ComUtoR

Established Member

DaleCooper

Established Member

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Whilst in The Philippines, flies, wasps and all sorts were landing and crawling on the food. For them it's the norm, as it became for me. But that's my culture, I was fine and still alive.

Groningen

Established Member
It is in the Netherlands always the same story around May every year. There will be a lot of nuisance of every flying small thing. And after the summer it turned out to be a hoax.

fowler9

Established Member
Anyone see the story about the lad in Melbourne who got his ankles chewed to bits by some kind of sea flea/mite. Ewwww. Ha ha. I sent a link to a girl in work who is off backpacking next month. I had to say sorry a lot and put her in touch with a mate who has been in Melbourne for about 8 years and never been eaten on the beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.