• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waterloo Disruption 21/03

Status
Not open for further replies.

BestWestern

Established Member
As it doesn't appear to have popped up anywhere else, very heavy disruption out of Waterloo this evening (tues 21st), due 'Emergency services dealing with an incident', somewhere between Basing and Woking.

22.05 to Poole departed around midnight, various other services stacked up behind it on the departure boards, also buses involved at some point around Woking.

Presume this was a fatality?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greaterwest

Established Member
1A70 struck a person at Brookwood. 2L72 and 1W72 de-trained at Farnborough (the latter terminated there) and pax put in cabs to Woking from what I have been told.

Wasn't helped by a trespasser at Fratton either, causing further delays to Portsmouth services.

Thoughts to all involved in yet another tragic incident on the railway :(

pompeyfan

Established Member
At Fratton there's been a delightful group of children traveling down from Havant or Bedhampton (smoking, pulling egresses, you name it) that have decided that rather than walking up to the footbridge or lift that they'd rather cross between the platform via the tracks. It is only a matter of time before one of them over runs their luck and makes contact with the juice or a passing train. I can't say for certain if they were involved again last night, but it wouldn't surprise me. Thoughts to all involved in last nights events. The SW seems to have been particularly affected since the turn or the year.

It would appear that the disruption on Monday morning however has slipped under the net. A ballast train in an engineering possession on the Windsor side appears to have the points moved under it. This caused a significant overrun of the possession.

BestWestern

Established Member
At Fratton there's been a delightful group of children traveling down from Havant or Bedhampton (smoking, pulling egresses, you name it) that have decided that rather than walking up to the footbridge or lift that they'd rather cross between the platform via the tracks. It is only a matter of time before one of them over runs their luck and makes contact with the juice or a passing train. I can't say for certain if they were involved again last night, but it wouldn't surprise me. Thoughts to all involved in last nights events. The SW seems to have been particularly affected since the turn or the year.

It would appear that the disruption on Monday morning however has slipped under the net. A ballast train in an engineering possession on the Windsor side appears to have the points moved under it. This caused a significant overrun of the possession.

I hope one of them receives a rather thorough zapping at the earliest possible opportunity, then. It sounds like the world could manage quite happily without their input.

Tio Terry

I hope one of them receives a rather thorough zapping at the earliest possible opportunity, then. It sounds like the world could manage quite happily without their input.

If you had ever witnessed a death by 3rd rail electrification you would never wish it on anyone, let alone a child. Yes, children may be problematical, that's got more to do with their parenting than with them, but if you had ever seen what the 3rd rail does to a child you would never, ever, want to see it again under any circumstances.

al78

Established Member

Charming, wishing the death penalty on people.

Fortunately we live in a civilised country, even if some of its inhabitants are not.

abn444

Indeed, it would be a good bit of natural selection at work

BestWestern

Established Member

Fortunately we live in a civilised country, even if some of its inhabitants are not.

Somebody deliberately crossing a live railway line, for no reason other than to be an a**ehole, is rather wishing the death penalty on themselves, don't you think?

I'm reminded of an incident a few years ago, just up the road at Hilsea, where a trespassing local scroat was wiped out by a train. His scumbag mates then took it upon themselves to attack the crew. Just what you need in the immediate aftermath of a fatality. It's a damn shame the lot of them weren't lined up like skittles in the fourfoot. The casualty was 21, a grown up but not far from being firmly in the 'youth' category being discussed here. That's what happens, they become grown up a**eholes instead.

I'm afraid my sympathy for individuals of that ilk is somewhere below zero. We live in a harsh world, and there are far more worthy places to extend one's concern. As for 'children', it's rather subjective, isn't it. 'Children' is a very different description to 'youths'. Gangs of yobs, riding around causing as much grief as possible, are not little toddlers. They've chosen to behave in a certain manner, and as such they'll be beset by the consequences. I would confidently bet that a school/college visit by the BTP and the usual videos would do little good here. Seeing the consequences for real is likely to be rather more effective.

Alas, perhaps I shall be destined to be plugged into 750v dc in hell for all eternity for my appalling views...<(

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
Somebody deliberately crossing a live railway line, for no reason other than to be an a**ehole, is rather wishing the death penalty on themselves, don't you think?

I'm reminded of an incident a few years ago, just up the road at Hilsea, where a trespassing local scroat was wiped out by a train. His scumbag mates then took it upon themselves to attack the crew. Just what you need in the immediate aftermath of a fatality. It's a damn shame the lot of them weren't lined up like skittles in the fourfoot. The casualty was 21, a grown up but not far from being firmly in the 'youth' category being discussed here. That's what happens, they become grown up a**eholes instead.
I remember it well, he was on the up platform getting ****ed when he decided to cross the tracks to talk to his mate, at which point a down train arrived and wiped him out, his mates and family then decided to smash the train up in an attempt to get to the driver, I remember the pictures of them turning up at the Coroners Court in their shiny new tracksuits, chavs one and all!

455driver

Veteran Member

If somebody wants to remove themselves from the genepool that that is entirely their decision, most of us wont lose any sleep over it!

GW43125

Established Member
I'm with BestWestern on this one. I think if they're thick/p***ed enough to think it's a good idea, then natural selection should be allowed to take its course.

pompeyfan

Established Member
That's a special kind of stupid, to blame the driver of the train for hitting him. I'm actually struggling to comprehend their mentality.

455driver

Veteran Member
That's a special kind of stupid, to blame the driver of the train for hitting him. I'm actually struggling to comprehend their mentality.

Oh there are loads of them like that around there, I feel sorry for the decent people that live there and have to put up with them!

Status
Not open for further replies.