• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waterloo Station Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A few pics as I mentioned last night:

Main stairs between concourse and "orchestra pit".
These are generally shown in the planning drawings as a pair of narrow escalators.
Stairs to main concourse.jpg

Opening to what I assume are stairs down to the LU level, under the P19 gateline, and presumed to come out near the foot of the existing LU escalators, currently hoarded off.
See what I mean about it being a relatively narrow opening, especially if two way traffic?
Stairs to LUL level.jpg

Street level access towards the back of Elizabeth House, an area to be redeveloped later.
It's under the currently closed walkway towards York Road and the Shell Centre area. (Also wondering if that walkway will eventually be removed.)
Ground level access.jpg

Is this to be an access to somewhere? Can't work out what it might be.
Possible entrance.jpg

Last edited:

ijmad

Established Member
Opening to what I assume are stairs down to the LU level, under the P19 gateline, and presumed to come out near the foot of the existing LU escalators, currently hoarded off.
See what I mean about it being a relatively narrow opening, especially if two way traffic?
View attachment 56630

Is it possible they might operate a one-way system, with the access (via the peak hours tunnel) on Level 00 as 'in', and this access on Level 01 as 'out' or vice-versa, I wonder.

Is this to be an access to somewhere? Can't work out what it might be.
View attachment 56632

From the planning drawings, it seems this might be access to the back of house servicing area for the new retail?

moley

Yes that’s the ones I meant, but that level they reach down to is still another flight above underground level. I cannot see anything that could really be called ‘direct’ towards the Bakerloo/Northern concourse. During the blockade didn’t the route down the escalators end up connecting to the main station peak hours subway?

I expect we cannot link to the planning drawings, but the case reference number on Lambeth’s planning website is “16/02973/FUL”. I’d love to find a drawing of the existing areas that the new circulation links into...
Is it possible they might operate a one-way system, with the access (via the peak hours tunnel) on Level 00 as 'in', and this access on Level 01 as 'out' or vice-versa, I wonder.

From the planning drawings, it seems this might be access to the back of house servicing area for the new retail?
looking at The plans, I suspect these are the other way around.

moley

I think the doors you can see at 1:20 in this Geoff Marshall video are the doors to the end of the peak hours subway.
This is exactly correct. At one time this corridor continued, turned left and exited opposite the ramps to the Waterloo & Cuty Line. At this time the peak hour connection was just a tunnel on the orchestra pit level.

About 2011? they reclaimed land from
The Eurostar area and created this new peak hour gateline. They knocked holes in the country side of the existing tunnel so to add stairs down into it. The connection to test of the Eurostar terminal has remained behind this door.

The door must be broadly next to peak hour passageway. So this will be the end of your route from escalators / lift to rejoining the underground station.

paok

It's hard to get any concrete information on the May 2019 timetable. The full changes originally planned for December 2018 certainly seem unlikely.

The original December 2018 changes that were cancelled will not be coming in May 2019. Likely only in 2020. As mentioned elsewhere, the electricity supply infrastructure is being improved and this is taking longer than originally anticipated but all the stakeholders are now engaged with each other properly.

The next timetable changes, i.e. May 2019 and December 2019 will be incremental. December 2019 change will be when the new Aventra trains come online. This from NR rep who was on the Waterloo concourse yesterday.

moley

The original December 2018 changes that were cancelled will not be coming in May 2019. Likely only in 2020. As mentioned elsewhere, the electricity supply infrastructure is being improved and this is taking longer than originally anticipated but all the stakeholders are now engaged with each other properly.

The next timetable changes, i.e. May 2019 and December 2019 will be incremental. December 2019 change will be when the new Aventra trains come online. This from NR rep who was on the Waterloo concourse yesterday.

That increment in May 2019 should be good for the SWR franchise. Recent discussion with SWR manager indicated that the additional Bournemouth - Pompey services, extension of the Haslmere stopper to Portsmouth together with a couple of extra peak Pompey line services should all appear in May. There was a caveat that they are unlikely to appear in their final form and could be quicker from December 2019.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Had the interesting spectacle today of the 1658 to Windsor leaving P20 and the late running 1650 to Reading leaving P21 at the same time. As the Down Windsor Fast is not available from P20-24, the Windsor used the Down Windsor Slow and the Reading used the Windsor Reversible, crossing over at Queenstown Road.

Sebastian O

Had the interesting spectacle today of the 1658 to Windsor leaving P20 and the late running 1650 to Reading leaving P21 at the same time. As the Down Windsor Fast is not available from P20-24, the Windsor used the Down Windsor Slow and the Reading used the Windsor Reversible, crossing over at Queenstown Road.
As in you observed it working how it should?

GW43125

Established Member
Minor correction, the DWF is accessible from international, DWS is the one that isn't.

Bigfoot

Hardly a "spectacle", similar has happened on the Windsor side of the station for years.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Hardly a "spectacle", similar has happened on the Windsor side of the station for years.
What's wrong with people on this thread? I posted because I thought it was of interest. For your information I have travelled almost daily on the Windsor Lines for the past 20 years and such a movement is rare anyway and virtually unknown in the peaks.

In future I shall keep info to myself and not bother commenting on this thread.

kev1974

I haven't been through Waterloo since Christmas Eve but my observation then was that they desperately need to improve the signage now that 21 and 22 are back in use. Tons of people aren't realising there's a nice convenient bridge direct to 21/22 and instead are accessing these platforms the 19/20 way, which involves some quite narrow pinch points, extra steps/ramp, and quite a double-back around the end of 20/21.

Sure it will improve slowly as regulars get used to where their train departs from but there are a lot of people like my parents who only use Waterloo once a year or so.

Antman

Established Member
And, new year, new miracle. The 0612 Alton to Waterloo arrived on time. The first time in about five months....... presumably the new platforms being open has made the difference. It’s been late every single time we’ve got on it since the summer.....

paok

SWR gateline in the peak subway towards P20-P24 looked to be open today as I came through. Didn't have time to look further. Anyone confirm this and also if the escalators now in operation again?

Bigfoot

SWR gateline in the peak subway towards P20-P24 looked to be open today as I came through. Didn't have time to look further. Anyone confirm this and also if the escalators now in operation again?
Platform to subway access was due to open on the 7th from the signage at platform level I saw last week.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Just a thought, but if the shops under P20-24 are ever going to be commercially viable, won’t the mid platform route from those platforms, via the new lower gateline, need to be open all day?

(Post #78 thought it would be a peak only route, which was what got me thinking about this.)

Peak hour only access towards all those expected businesses just isn’t going to work. So at least the route to/from the Bakerloo/Northern concourse and to/from the Drain will need to be available, to justify passengers going down that way.

Will Network Rail, who run the station commercial aspects, be able to justify the staffing costs for another gateline?

ijmad

Established Member
Just a thought, but if the shops under P20-24 are ever going to be commercially viable, won’t the mid platform route from those platforms, via the new lower gateline, need to be open all day?

(Post #78 thought it would be a peak only route, which was what got me thinking about this.)

Peak hour only access towards all those expected businesses just isn’t going to work. So at least the route to/from the Bakerloo/Northern concourse and to/from the Drain will need to be available, to justify passengers going down that way.

Doubly problematic if there's a one way system between the two levels.

SWT_USER

Escalators working on P20-22. Platforms 23 and 24 still fenced off.

reytomas1228

Will Network Rail, who run the station commercial aspects, be able to justify the staffing costs for another gateline?

This will also be the only step-free route to the Drain, so making it only available during peak-time would be very disappointing, especially given that Bank just recently opened its step-free entrance.

paok

Took some photos this morning. Feels much more enclosed compared to the same area during the temporary opening last year.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The new platforms might be open but it all still looks like construction site...
Were you expecting anything else, given the work still to be done when they partially re-opened in December? They are clearly dragging it out to make use of the extra time given by the delayed new timetables. But the build contracts for the retail areas have only been let a short time ago, it’s going to be mostly a hoarded off building site for ages yet.

Antman

Established Member
Seems it hasn’t changed punctuality. Late every day since my optimism that it was new year, New platforms, New hope. And one right time train.

Nope. Deluded fool that I am.

Today is signal failure at Wimbledon. At least a return this evening don’t be via Waterloo.

kev1974

Lots of activity at Waterloo when I passed through yesterday afternoon - it looks like the undercroft area is about to open (maybe it is open today or Monday?). The whole area has been cleared, one flight of the stairs from the main concourse uncovered, and a small army of orange jackets were busy putting up barriers and new signs everywhere. Also the maps around the main station have been updated to show the new areas.

IMG_2153.jpg IMG_2155.jpg IMG_2156.jpg IMG_2154.jpg IMG_2158.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.