• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waterloo to basingstoke on a Reading - London Terminals season ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tylerolo

Hi there

I have a reading to London terminals ticket and am looking to travel to basingstoke. Is it possible to just buy a RDG basingstoke ticket and then travel using my season ticket from Waterloo to basingstoke via woking?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You will need to buy a Woking - Basingstoke ticket to cover the section your season ticket did not cover.

See below.

NSEFAN

Established Member
I'm intrigued. Why would an additional ticket from only Woking-Basingstoke be needed, would the season be valid Waterloo - Ash Vale - North Camp - Reading?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'm intrigued. Why would an additional ticket from only Woking-Basingstoke be needed, would the season be valid Waterloo - Ash Vale - North Camp - Reading?

You haven't got it wrong. I read the RG wrong.

Romilly

Established Member
Thank you for clearing that up. That then would appear to mean that the OP will need a separate ticket to cover Reading-Basingstoke-Woking-Clapham Junction.

The OP could buy a Reading-Weybridge anytime day single (valid via Basingstoke) for £11, and a Weybridge-Clapham Junction anytime day single for £6.70, and then use the Reading-London season ticket for Clapham Junction to Waterloo. Because the combination of tickets includes exactly one season ticket, there is no need to catch trains that stop at Weybridge and Clapham Junction. And because these are anytime tickets, a break of journey is permitted, e.g. at Basingstoke.

Last edited:

kieron

Established Member
Reading-London is valid on maps RG and WX. RG covers routes via Slough, WX ones via Staines, including the shortest route from Waterloo.

There is a route via Weybridge which isn't much longer than the shortest route, and NRE gives itineraries for it from Vauxhall. A separate Weybridge-Basingstoke (or Weybridge-Reading) ticket would still be needed.

If Tylerolo intends to make this sort of journey at all regularly, a Farnborough-London season may be better value, as it allows all of the same journeys between Reading and London for a little bit less money, and would also allow a journey from London to Basingstoke.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
...a Farnborough-London season may be better value, as it allows all of the same journeys between Reading and London for a little bit less money, and would also allow a journey from London to Basingstoke.

I can't get my head round this one. Could you explain please?

kieron

Established Member
I can't get my head round this one. Could you explain please?
I made a couple of statements there. What seems to be the problem? I am mainly thinking of a Farnborough Stations-London Terminals season ticket here, route "any permitted", priced at £4184 for a year.

455driver

Veteran Member
I made a couple of statements there. What seems to be the problem? I am mainly thinking of a Farnborough Stations-London Terminals season ticket here, route "any permitted", priced at £4184 for a year.

How is that valid to go the wrong way to Basingstoke?

Romilly

Established Member
Because the permitted routes from Farnborough Stations include the route to London Paddington via Basingstoke and Reading. There are also cheaper "not via Reading" season tickets.

IainH

If you are doing this regularly, you probably want to swap your season ticket over to be from Basingstoke (route any) as it is the same fare.

kieron

Established Member
How is that valid to go the wrong way to Basingstoke?
The any permitted tickets are priced for travel via Reading. Farnborough and Basingstoke are on different lines from Reading (Basingstoke's running roughly NNE, Farnborough's NNW), so there isn't a simple relationship between the prices. As it happens, the Farnborough-London SDS in the 1996 table is dearer than the nearest equivalent from all of Farnborough's associated routeing points.

For a Not Reading/Via Woking ticket, Basingstoke-London is dearer as you're expected to go through Farnborough to get to Basingstoke.

455driver

Veteran Member
The any permitted tickets are priced for travel via Reading. Farnborough and Basingstoke are on different lines from Reading (Basingstoke's running roughly NNE, Farnborough's NNW), so there isn't a simple relationship between the prices. As it happens, the Farnborough-London SDS in the 1996 table is dearer than the nearest equivalent from all of Farnborough's associated routeing points.

For a Not Reading/Via Woking ticket, Basingstoke-London is dearer as you're expected to go through Farnborough to get to Basingstoke.

I know about Farnborough North (I used to commute to Guildford) but I don't get why a ticket from FNN (or Farnborough stations) to London would be valid for travel from Farnborough Main to Basingstoke.

FenMan

Established Member
I know about Farnborough North (I used to commute to Guildford) but I don't get why a ticket from FNN (or Farnborough stations) to London would be valid for travel from Farnborough Main to Basingstoke.

I too was sceptical about this, however NRE does show this as a valid itinerary when buying the £23.80 Anytime Single (Route: Any Permitted), as do the Mixing Desk sites.

There have been kerfuffles about the permitted routes from Farnborough Main to Reading. Travel used to be permitted via Basingstoke, then the route was disallowed, forcing customers to walk to Farnborough North, but it was then restored, which is the current situation. The validity of the Farnborough Stations - London Terminals Route Any Permitted ticket seems to have benefited from this.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you are doing this regularly, you probably want to swap your season ticket over to be from Basingstoke (route any) as it is the same fare.

My thoughts exactly.

Even if just once, a changeover would cost nothing (except some time, but the staff at Reading are good so shouldn't have an issue - go to the main ticket office).

kieron

Established Member
Validity doesn't really work on distance. In this sort of situation, it works on prices instead.

Farnborough Main is associated with the routeing point at Basingstoke (and also with Woking). This means that you have to look at what ATOC say the prices were in September 1996 to determine whether it would be valid to travel between Farnborough and Basingstoke on a Farnborough Stations-London ticket.

As it happens, the any permitted Farnborough-London SDS has a listed cost of £12.40, and the Basingstoke-London one £11.50, so it's fine.

Once you get to Basingstoke, you can either go from there through Reading (and on to London by a couple of different routes), or back through Farnborough to Woking and London.

Status
Not open for further replies.